What's annoying you today? Part the grievous

Arkhangel

Wanted to post this yesterday, but the board was down ... and it is still annoying today that I am out of work for the few weeks I expected to teach right now. After having called three times, they finally told me that ... not like they could have told me before - if I had known it, I could have gone to the trip with my family instead of waiting at home for them to call me.

Dropped my phone in the sink whilst washing dishes - my blackberry keeps turning on/ off every 30 seconds now. I can't get the sim card out because it's one of those tiny hole thingies. 

They shouldn't let me be an adult, tbh. 

3 hours ago, Raja said:

Dropped my phone in the sink whilst washing dishes - my blackberry keeps turning on/ off every 30 seconds now. I can't get the sim card out because it's one of those tiny hole thingies. 

They shouldn't let me be an adult, tbh. 

Try a drawing pin or something if you don't still have the tool the phone comes with. Takes a bit of time but you should be able to get it out that way

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Try a drawing pin or something if you don't still have the tool the phone comes with. Takes a bit of time but you should be able to get it out that way

I got it out, thanks! I managed to find that tool that comes with the phone. Tried a safety pin but it was too big. 

Phone's at the repair shop - praying that somehow the man manages to fix it. It's only a year old :(

I got a job, but it's at the weekend and to get in for a 9.30 start I have to get a national express from my town at 7.10 (bus/train station is another 30 mins walk away from my house) and that gets in to the city for 7.40 on a sunday so I have to wait around whilst nothing is open for like 2 hours before starting work each sunday, hahaha. Fun. I think i'll stick this out for a few months and then hopefully endeavor to get another job. I feel weirdly indebted to this one so i'd feel terrible about only doing this for another month then jumping ships...but I can't say I am particularly excited about this...Oh well, a job, is a job, is a job. and there's no jobs around here so i suppose i'm lucky. 

Congrats on the job, Theda!

A girl I just met for the first time today kept going on about Uber Eats trying to get me to use her code so she can get discounted food, even after I told her I don't use Uber Eats and I don't even have a smartphone. I feel sorry for her that she's at a point where she has to ask virtual strangers to help her afford food, but I feel like she should have backed off after I told her I don't use apps at all - but no, she just kept trying...

Sitting behind a girl with a very posh English accent in a cafe - shortly after describing the tent of a homeless man sleeping in a tent in the park as "rather cute, really", she's on to expressing outrage that someone she knows who is part Aboriginal accused her of being racist for trying to tell her something about Aboriginal people being more likely to be fat because of epigenetics (...?). "I'm JEWISH!" she exclaims indignantly, as though this is an irrefutable argument.

She’s now faux-complaining (fauxplaining?) about how positively dreadful it is when some elderly relative tries to give her Hermes scarves.

Update: She's now explaining to her companions that she has synesthesia, which includes "if you say something that upsets me I will literally feel it as pain" and that rough fabrics make her feel sick. I am not kidding, that is what she is saying.

Update: Also because of her synesthesia other people have to send emails and fill out forms on her behalf, despite her "unusually high IQ". Also bills, and remembering to pay for things, and housework.

AHAHAHAHA the guy she was talking to left literally seconds after that speech. There is still a girl there, I hope the entertainment continues.

6 hours ago, Arkhangel said:

Sitting behind a girl with a very posh English accent in a cafe - shortly after describing the tent of a homeless man sleeping in a tent in the park as "rather cute, really", she's on to expressing outrage that someone she knows who is part Aboriginal accused her of being racist for trying to tell her something about Aboriginal people being more likely to be fat because of epigenetics (...?). "I'm JEWISH!" she exclaims indignantly, as though this is an irrefutable argument.

She’s now faux-complaining (fauxplaining?) about how positively dreadful it is when some elderly relative tries to give her Hermes scarves.

Update: She's now explaining to her companions that she has synesthesia, which includes "if you say something that upsets me I will literally feel it as pain" and that rough fabrics make her feel sick. I am not kidding, that is what she is saying.

Update: Also because of her synesthesia other people have to send emails and fill out forms on her behalf, despite her "unusually high IQ". Also bills, and remembering to pay for things, and housework.

AHAHAHAHA the guy she was talking to left literally seconds after that speech. There is still a girl there, I hope the entertainment continues.

this is amazing people like this are just...so totally in their own freakin world 

12 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

:(:( They did bloody brilliant to get so far though!!!! damn proud 

As you should be. I just wanted them to go further. 

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 6:23 PM, Queen of Winter said:

It's too damned hot and humid out. I hate summer.... :(

The Tears household is just barely hanging on by a thread.  Headaches from the humidity and frequently changing pressure are making us cranky, my dog is shedding up a STORM of tufts of white fuzz, can't go outside without having to consume liters of water to make up for the moisture loss from our bodies (where's a stillsuit when you need one?!) 

Now my dog wants a walk - is he INSANE?  Off to the woods and some shade. . . (and fighting off mosquitos.) 

BTW, if you're the Queen of Winter, would you mind issuing a proclamation to force Summer the hell out of our lives??

I need to email a couple of my tutors from university to ask for references and I am facing the "how formal/casual should I be in addressing them?!" conundrum I have every time I send an email like this. Such is life

39 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I need to email a couple of my tutors from university to ask for references and I am facing the "how formal/casual should I be in addressing them?!" conundrum I have every time I send an email like this. Such is life

IMO it is better to be on the safe side and be more formal than to be too casual.

But then I kind of stopped addressing some of my professors in emails by now (no Dear Professor XY, just straight to the first paragraph) if it is an ongoing conversation and do not always write the greeting thing in the end either, or use the more informal version. I would not use that with professors I am less friendly with in person, though.

On 09/07/2016 at 6:48 AM, HelenaExMachina said:

Rule of thumb is just go with how you'd address them in person, I think. Like if you'd usually say 'hi Helen' or 'hi Professor Montgomery' if you met her in the corridor, go with that.

The idiots marching in London over Black Lives Matter.  They're idiots because 1) it's not happening in the UK, 2) they're putting the black skin colour ahead of nationality which in turns just fuels greater divides at a point where we need to be coming together and realising that skin colour is utterly irrelevant all round.

Archived