What's annoying you today? Part the grievous

Arkhangel

20 hours ago, A wilding said:

A first world problem, but I am currently riled up about how often professions, in this case the financial industry, are conspiracies against the layman.

The UK personal financial industry has a bad track record. The government, to do it justice, has been trying to tighten things up, but of course their legislation has been heavily influenced by the industry.

So Mrs W has decided to make some changes to her pensions, changes that she is confident are entirely reasonable (as am I). However she is now legally required to consult a financial advisor before she can do so!

Cue us researching and phoning a whole bunch of advisors, with depressingly similar results. First you get the hard sell for them to provide general advice on your investments, for about 3% of their value up front plus 1% per annum ever afterwards. When you turn that down, half of them have no further interest in you. For the specific advice Mrs W must get, the minority actually prepared to give an up front quote typically make it 3% - 5% of the value of her pensions. Daylight bloody robbery.

I realise that they would argue that they must take care that their advice is sound, as they face the risk she might sue them later, but frankly that would cut a little more ice if they had not lobbied furiously to make consulting them compulsory in the first place. And don't get me started about the privacy and security issues of some fly by night advisor having so much information about you and your finances.

We have the same issue in Canada. The finance industry is lobbying hard to  get rid of defined benefit pension plans in favour of defined contribution pension plans. This in spite of the superior performance and better pension payout. 

1 hour ago, maarsen said:

We have the same issue in Canada. The finance industry is lobbying hard to  get rid of defined benefit pension plans in favour of defined contribution pension plans. This in spite of the superior performance and better pension payout. 

Just about all the defined benefit pension schemes in the UK are now closed to new members. Many are seriously in deficit, and while employers have a legal duty to fund them and there is a UK wide pension protection fund as a fallback, I still suspect that in the medium term many people will not be getting anywhere near their full pensions.

Again we had this problem in  Canada too. The root cause of this was that the plan managers were in the pocket of the organization or company responsible for setting up the plan. Inadequate contributions and contribution holidays helped the corporate  bottom line at the expense of the pension. My plan has the unions and the organization both with equal seats on the board and as such we are probably  the best pension plan in the world now. 

18 hours ago, Eyron said:

Being single after 12 yrs relationship at the age of 35. Very annoying.

Aw, Eyron. I am so so sorry to hear that. :grouphug: If you want to rant or talk or cry or whatever, you can always PM me.

On 8/18/2016 at 0:08 PM, A wilding said:

A first world problem, but I am currently riled up about how often professions, in this case the financial industry, are conspiracies against the layman.

The UK personal financial industry has a bad track record. The government, to do it justice, has been trying to tighten things up, but of course their legislation has been heavily influenced by the industry.

So Mrs W has decided to make some changes to her pensions, changes that she is confident are entirely reasonable (as am I). However she is now legally required to consult a financial advisor before she can do so!

Cue us researching and phoning a whole bunch of advisors, with depressingly similar results. First you get the hard sell for them to provide general advice on your investments, for about 3% of their value up front plus 1% per annum ever afterwards. When you turn that down, half of them have no further interest in you. For the specific advice Mrs W must get, the minority actually prepared to give an up front quote typically make it 3% - 5% of the value of her pensions. Daylight bloody robbery.

I realise that they would argue that they must take care that their advice is sound, as they face the risk she might sue them later, but frankly that would cut a little more ice if they had not lobbied furiously to make consulting them compulsory in the first place. And don't get me started about the privacy and security issues of some fly by night advisor having so much information about you and your finances.

That is some bullshit.

People who don't fit into a standard airline seat need to either buy two standard seats, a non-standard seat, or else travel with Solo in his suburban assault vehicle. 

The gutless airline won't enforce it for fear of lawsuits about fat shaming, so I get back pain for several days after my two hour contortion act. 

Drained my car battery by leaving the interior light on. Except I don't recall turning that light on. I had to have a co-worker pick me up and he was nice enough to bring a battery charger. I need to buy one of those things, in case this happens again.

Today was supposed to be the day my house was getting everything moved out to go into the new house.  Because the attorney for the buyer didn't do the paperwork before they went on vacation we had to move our closing....

On 2016-08-20 at 10:27 PM, Buckwheat said:

Aw, Eyron. I am so so sorry to hear that. :grouphug: If you want to rant or talk or cry or whatever, you can always PM me.

Thanks dear Buck. I think I'm at over it for now at least, but I might pick you up on that later *hug*. Change is good. This is going to be a good thing.

On 2016-08-23 at 7:41 PM, sologdin said:

rear evaporator core on my suburban assault vehicle just obtained critical mass.  to return it to fully armed & operational status, must sacrifice 72 boarders.  volunteers?

I think you are looking in the wrong forum. But, being a good sport I volunteer everyone.

8 hours ago, sologdin said:

all fascism begins with sacrifices of boarders.

On 24/08/2016 at 8:49 AM, larrytheimp said:

I volunteer.  If you neglect the human cost, there's nothing crap about it!

What annoys me is piss taking cowardice :D I'm all for taking the piss and arguing, but bitching about someones comments elsewhere is kind of pathetic.

36 minutes ago, ummester said:

What annoys me is piss taking cowardice :D I'm all for taking the piss and arguing, but bitching about someones comments elsewhere is kind of pathetic.

I was volunteering to be sacrificed using your words which, I believe, were completely appropriate given the context.  Not sure what you mean by 'bitching', (does it have something to do with the alleged 'pathetic' and 'cowardice'?) but then it's not really a word I'd use.

Oh god, posters referencing comments on the board just... set me on fire with hate! I could make a whole PowerPoint presentation about it!

Back on topic, what really annoys me is that thin skin that forms on my raw milk. Despite its mirculous curative properties (never mind what those lying lairs who lie in the FDA have to say!) I find that thin skin really gross. I'd like to write a haiku about it, but with more 16th century Asian pirates.

11 minutes ago, R'hllors Red Lobster said:

Back on topic, what really annoys me is that thin skin that forms on my raw milk. Despite its mirculous curative properties (never mind what those lying lairs who lie in the FDA have to say!) I find that thin skin really gross. I'd like to write a haiku about it, but with more 16th century Asian pirates.

HARD RAW MILK FANTASY

How about some click bait instead?

He peeled the skin off his raw milk. You won't believe what happened next.

11 things every raw milk lover in Poughkeepsie goes through.

1 weird raw milk trick to cure back fat and bad breath.

Two girls, one cup of raw milk.

Archived