Blackwood Genes

Moiraine Sedai

I have to admit that I dig the theory that the Blackwoods were the Warg Kings.   The Starks are in the unique position as conquerors of the entire North to have mingled blood with all of them...except the Red Kings, curiously.    The Barrow Kings were sort of necromancers, the Marsh Kings were sort of like the COTF--you get the idea i'm sure.  Certainly other houses could have mingled, but we are only told about the Starks so I have to believe they have the special super blood.   Interesting that the Blackwoods were exiled, too.   Blood Raven has some supercharged blood and very special powers.  Wonder if he could have ridden a dragon?  

Yeah, warging is more like a First Men thing, I guess

But what dragon stuff do you mean? Targ blood helps riding a dragon, sure, but dragon riding is not exclusive to Targs and their bastards (see: Nettles), and while "dragon/prophetic" dreams are common in Targs, I don't think they're exclusive to them either because

I don't think House Toland, for example, has an extensive wealth of Targ blood, and yet Teora Toland appears to have these sort of dreams

I thought Nettles was pretty much confirmed to be a dragonseed, or it was at least widely believed/met with little opposition in the story.

Valyrian blood is required to ride dragons. Weren't there were other Valyrian dragon riders once? Thought the Targs were just one family, the only ones "of note" known to have made it out/left before the Doom thanks to Dany the Dreamer.

Nettles being a dragon seed is no more confirmed after the World book than it was after TPATQ. It's more or less left up to the reader to make up their own mind as far as I see it, and I do t think that will change

I agree. And I think this could be a setup/foreshadowing for Tyrion, relating to A+J=T and potentially riding Viserion after nursing him back room health. IF that's true, I am not sure GRRM will ultimately confirm it.. instead allowing the reader to decide.

Skinchangers were treated like witches and lepers.  They were exiled to the north of the wall.  The ability might have lived on in the Blackwoods but it would be weak.  The strong skinchangers are likely north of the wall.  The likely source of the Stark's ability to warg was Bael the Bard.  He brought the DNA from the north where the talent continued to survive.

Archived