This Watch, Watched, and Watching Thread? I like it. ANOTHER

AndyBaelish

So, Creed is finally coming out around Europe. Very good (way better imo than the first Rocky, if only because the actual boxing is good). The idea of Tony Bellew being the best boxer in the world is pretty funny, but really it was everything a movie like this should be. One thing did really annoy me though:

The fact that the film had an undercurrent about the dangers of boxing, with his stepmother's worry and Rocky feeling like it was his fault Apollo died, and yet, when they get to the final fight, there's a perfect opportunity to show how it's not a bad thing for a trainer to pull his fighter if they're too damaged, they even set it up, but instead we get a cutman helping the fighter fool the doctor and Rocky sending him back out to get pummeled some more even though he thinks he's taking too much damage.

The irritation is added because Rocky is obviously hugely influential on actual boxers and 'it's okay to stop if you're in a bad way' would have been a good message to send. Whereas the one they came out with was just irresponsible.

On other subjects, I wonder if Andre Ward will be back for a sequel. He's obviously getting back to his actual boxing career, finally- and unlike Bellew he actually is one of the best boxers in the world, maybe the best if he's not lost anything in his years off- but the way things were left with him and Wood Harris just seemed like they're clearly setting up a part two.

So, Creed is finally coming out around Europe. Very good (way better imo than the first Rocky, if only because the actual boxing is good). The idea of Tony Bellew being the best boxer in the world is pretty funny, but really it was everything a movie like this should be. One thing did really annoy me though:

Hidden Content

I honestly had no problem with Stitch helping Adonis beat the count. One of the main points of the movie was that some fighters are willing to risk it all for irrational reasons, by which I mean irrational for others but rational for them.

I'm going to see Creed next week :) Really hyped for it :)

Going to watch either Creed or Martian tonight. Which one is better?

Haven't seen Creed yet, but I thought the Martian was good, solid blockbuster fun. You'll probably like both, but Creed is probably going to be much better ;) 

Hidden Content

Fighters being willing to risk it all is pretty common. That's why it's all the more important for their corners to protect them.
All the more infuriating coz Stitch, as an actual cutman, should know better than to encourage such shit.

The Martian is good, but Creed is better. For all that it was great to see Ridley back doing a good solid film, and it was extremely likable, it did lack a little directorial flash for me, whereas Creed had enough that it's upped my anticipation for the Black Panther movie and whatever else Ryan Coogler might do next (I should also go back and watch Fruitvale Station).  

Just saw Exodus: Gods and Kings and it was pretty bad actually. It felt uninspired and the movie dragged way too much and felt pretty colorless, both storywise and characterwise. It would have needed a much better script to make it work, and maybe a different approach to how they laid up the movie with regards to the historical time period. And even Bale, who used to be one of my favorite actors, was bland in this. I dunno, I was bored after one hour of the movie and I almost never turn off movies, but I was tempted with this one. It had a very uninspired portrayal of the villain, Ramses too. I remember seeing Prince of Egypt when I was younger and liking that, so maybe it's better to see that movie if you're interested in the source material. 

Hidden Content

The Martian is good, but Creed is better. For all that it was great to see Ridley back doing a good solid film, and it was extremely likable, it did lack a little directorial flash for me, whereas Creed had enough that it's upped my anticipation for the Black Panther movie and whatever else Ryan Coogler might do next (I should also go back and watch Fruitvale Station).  

I keep hearing that Creed is good so I really need to see that one, was a Rocky fan when I was younger but has been a time since I saw the movies. As for Ridley not making a good movie in a while, how long do you you mean by a while? Exodus was bad and Robin Hood was mediocre but I think American Gangster was a pretty good movie, and Prometheus was an okay movie, which I thought had great visuals and cinematography. Haven't seen Counselor yet but I hear it's been pretty panned and maybe you're not a fan of Prometheus, but I found it to be a pretty ok sci-fi movie. 

I really didn't think that I would like Creed before I saw it, but I was definitely wrong. I'm glad they're making another.

Has anyone seen Versailles? I just heard about it and was thinking of giving it a shot. Season 1 finished in December. It stars Athelstan, a.k.a. George Blagden, from Vikings, as King Loius XIV.

I really didn't think that I would like Creed before I saw it, but I was definitely wrong. I'm glad they're making another.

Has anyone seen Versailles? I just heard about it and was thinking of giving it a shot. Season 1 finished in December. It stars Athelstan, a.k.a. George Blagden, from Vikings, as King Loius XIV.

They have just started broadcasting this over here. I taped the first two episodes, but I haven't gotten around to it just yet. I think it looks pretty promising though. Louis XIV is a very interesting figure and it looks like they have splashed out a lot of money to make this project happen :) 

EDIT: The only thing that makes me wary is that it's in English and not in French. If even the French are acquiescing to the dominance of English it's not a very promising sign. 

Hidden Content

Yes, I know. That's why I think a Rocky movie making the point that it's okay to protect them from themselves could be an important thing. Even here there's the exchange earlier on of 'maybe that's how he wanted to go out' 'I think he'd rather be here, talking with you' but at the end, it countered that message. Obviously you don't want them doing this but more of this would be great and could save a lot of fighters a lot of trouble. Hell, the film even went to the trouble of showing that with his eye closed he couldn't see the right hooks coming (that's one thing I was very pleased with, apart from a couple minor moments probably aimed at not confusing casual fans the film seemed very committed to making the boxing and the things around it seem pretty real and plausible even in unlikely moments - which was a relief after Southpaw), but it didn't follow through.

In another film it would probably have annoyed me less but the Rocky films are influential in the sport.

Just an update, I watched the first episode during lunch. The pilot is very big, very unsubtle and oh so very dumb. It's nowhere near the level of BBC costume dramas like War & Peace or The Last Kingdom. It's a bit like the Tudors, although I think it might be even dumber. I'll probably watch the second episode and perhaps even the season, because the period interest me, but I sure hope the pilot is going to be an outlier and the rest of the show will pick up considerably. 

Waiting for Hateful 8 to start. Very excited and glad i splashes out and went to the Leicester Square cinema :) 

eta: this is the first film i've ever been to where there was an intermission. According to the man who spoke to us at the start of the film in took 6 hours(?!) for their projector crew to prepare this? Is that true?

Anyway,this film has been awesome so far, love everything about it and have the soundtrack running through my head. Damnit hurry up and end intermission!

But damnit if it isnt cold in this cinema.

Archived