This Watch, Watched, and Watching Thread? I like it. ANOTHER

AndyBaelish

Carry on. 

Watched a movie called Cold in July with Michael C. Hall, Don Johnson, and Sam Shepard yesterday. Maybe it was because of no expectations, but holy good god that was a great movie. 

You should check out Stakeland by the same director. A really underrated film imo :) 

Watched 6 eps of The Last Kingdom...really enjoying it. 

That first season has been gold. The BBC would be stark raving mad not to renew it for another series. Episode 7 was the only one that let me down a bit, but episode 8 more than made up for that. Definitely the strongest opening season I have seen in quite some time :D The books are nice as well :) (or at least where I'm at at the moment)

It's only aired 6 eps in the UK thus far so I'm trying to stay away from the thread...but I'm really impressed with it and might read the books. :)

Do it. Also, you might have just missed out but the Warlord Chronicles by the same author has been on sale for under £5 per book this weekend, the first being only 1.99. I bought them all, and I'm looking forward to reading them.

eta; also awaiting the final 2 episodes eagerly.

last night, needed a puck me up, and turned to Ribin Williams...of course it had to be the one, the only... Mrs Doubtfire :)

Finished off The Last Kingdom.  I'd watch another season based solely on the last episode.  But I'm still severely underwhelmed by the substance-less lead actor.  Next to so many of the rest of the cast he simply fades away and I find him completely charm free.  This was not a series I ended on and was looking up to see when the next season started.  I was also surprised at how fast the series to books went in some ways.  I'm thinking they might cram all the books with Alfred's daughter into one season at the rate they are going. 

Catching up on Fargo and enjoying it immensely.  Jean Smart is simply an amazing actress.  The rest of the cast is either delivering or surprising me.  I'm not sure if I am going to wait until the end of London Spy, which is a week next, to start in on The Man in the High Castle or take the plunge.  Luther is coming up and I want to have a clear docket for that.  I cannot believe tomorrow is December already.  One more month and then I can hate watch Downton Abbey to the bitter end!

Still trying to think what I think about The Expanse.  Not bad but there are some real Syfy production type moments in it for me that I find, slightly troubling.  For the size of series it could and should turn out to be. 

Watching Masterchef the Professionals.  Something soothing about it; perfect to simply sit back and decompress for the rest of the day.

You should check out Stakeland by the same director. A really underrated film imo :) 

Agree, enjoyed both films a lot.

I watched the documentary Soaked in Bleach last night about the Kurt Cobain "suicide" and, as Nictarion stated in the last thread, it makes a pretty damn compelling argument that it was more than just a suicide. Too much stuff just didn't add up at all, I recommend.

Episode 2 of Capital. Very impressed with the show, may check out the novel after I've watched it if I find the time. Some touching moments, some humourous gems ("Joshy didn't do a poop this morning." "...I did." :lol: ) and I feel very engaged with both the plot and characters. Not sure how many episodes this is running for, but eagerly awaiting next week. Oh, and on a more specific note

Finding those £20 notes stashed in a suitcase in the deceased' house...that has actually happened in my family before.

he film, Best of Enemies (2015), documents and puts into historical context the importance of the Gore Vidal - William Buckley feud via the televised debates of 1968.

Part of the argument made by Buckley's friends and family (they think he's a political warrior hero, while Vidal is beneath contempt) is that Buckley founded in The National Review the 'philosophical' foundation and the platform from which to launch the extremism --  (though they don't see it that way) we are presently experiencing. They believe, or at least believe he believed, that this was necessary in order to take back the country from the sewer FDR, the Reds and the Civil Rights Movement had made of it.

This viewer has a different viewpoint.  Moreover this viewer, with caveats for the historical untruths that Vidal preferred or perhaps wasn't even aware of placing in his text, particularly about President Grant, admires Vidal's attempts to write American history as fiction in his series of novels collectively known as Narratives of Empire, [why doesn't linkage work?] from the era of Burr, Hamilton and Jefferson through WWII -- in which he always included the the primary role played in political and historical events by media, from the newspapers and anonymously funded broadsides of Jefferson's day, to radio, movies and television in the later books.

Everyone involved with this documentary agrees that the Vidal-Buckley ABC debates at the 1968 nominating conventions (R-Miami; D-Chicago) opened the floodgates to celebrity names fighting on television and calling it 'news.'

Recommended for anyone with the least bit of interest in media and U.S. history.

Finished season 3 of Deadwood. Not quite as good as season 1 or 2 but still amazing. I loved the overarching story with group 1 v. group 2 in season 3, but I didn't care for some of the new characters and side stories.

Question about the Leftovers.. I only watched the first couple of episodes of season 1 and wasn't too interested (it just didn't grip me). Does it improve after that? Do I have to watch S1 before watching S2 or can I just jump right into S2? It's very much unlike me to skip seasons but my time is precious and there is a lot of stuff I haven't seen..

Question about the Leftovers.. I only watched the first couple of episodes of season 1 and wasn't too interested (it just didn't grip me). Does it improve after that? Do I have to watch S1 before watching S2 or can I just jump right into S2? It's very much unlike me to skip seasons but my time is precious and there is a lot of stuff I haven't seen..

Season 2 is amazing. However, you may be a little lost if you don't watch season 1. Each character's arc from season 1 is relevant to season 2's.

I just watched the new Vacation, and I did have several big laughs, but they were way too far apart.  It was better than I thought it would be.  Old Clark was one of the saddest things I've ever seen though...  That's going to bother me for some time.  It's nearly time to watch Christmas Vacation and I don't know if that will make me feel better or worse.

It definitely gets better. Season 1 has a couple episodes that focus on just one character,  (1×03 Two Boats and a Helicopter & 1×06 Guest) both are brilliant.

Not really a show you can skip episodes either. Especially not a whole season. It's well worth it though. It's the best show on tv imo, with Fargo being the only show that even comes close. 

Finally watched Mad Max Fury Road. It was enjoyable, but I'm not very impressed.

Also watched Mr Robot series, really love Rami Malek's acting, but there are some things plotwise and characterwise that are grating, although it isn't boring (spoilers for the whole 1 season) 

and I'm not fond of hollywood split personality and usage of some of the yellow peril tropes

I think depending of where next season goes I can either love the series or watch simply for acting.

Finally watched "Guardians of the Galaxy" and it was... an alright action flick with a thin story? I really don't get all the praise it received. Yea, the effects would have been more impressive on the big screen, but I can't help but think that I would have been  disappointed to see it in a cinema. There just isn't enough there. Not feeling most of these comics adaptations, frankly. There seems to be even more missing in them plot-and-characterwise than in the normal action blockbusters.

Also saw  "Predestination" - which  seemed to be lauded quite a bit as a cult movie, and it didn't quite work for me either. Partly because Heinlein's story didn't age well and/or was just seriously "eww" to begin with, partly because I don't feel that the actors sold the central twist convincingly.

P.S. And having now read the original work, it seems that some of what I didn't like and what seemed jarring to me wasn't even in the source material (though above criticisms of it still continue to apply), but were added by the filmmakers. Why?!

Archived