How did Rhaegar explain to his father about 3KG?

purple-eyes

because that makes sense. "If I can't have it no one will!" Said nearly every bratty 5 year old ever.

Also thats totally a Super Villain trope.

He's not wrong. After the Red Wedding when Blackfish retreats behind Riverrun's walls, the first thing he did before that was burn all the fields surrounding Riverrun so that his enemies couldn't live off his lands while he starved during the upcoming siege. No one calls him out as being a bratty 5 year old for having enacted a scorched earth policy.

A scorched earth policy is standard. If you're going to lose, why would you ever make your enemies life easier and better? Fuck them. Make them pay. Make the prize worthless. Etc. Don't just hand them exactly what they want.

I suspect Ned knew all along exactly why Rhaegar made off with Lyanna and by the time he arrived at the ToJ, he had learned not only where she was being kept but who was guarding her and why. So he only took his most trusted bannermen whom he could swear to secrecy so as to maintain all the secrets that came down with the tower.

I agree. This is the most reasonable explanation so far. 

Ned probably knew there would be something unusual (such as a love child or Lyanna is not a prisoner) there. 

I even felt part of the reason he was so angry for the deaths of rhaegar's family is that he knew what his sister did and felt sorry for them. 

and I think he got the idea after the sack. People in the court may tell him some rough information about TOJ (like how white bull knew where to find rhaegar), and very likely that, they told him rahegar claimed he loved his lady Lyanna (how Barri and Viserys knew about this), plus how Ned knew his sister's wolf blood, it is not hard to draw some conclusion. 

That is why he took only most trustful men. he is expecting some secret and he did not want to bring these things public.  

That actually is a perfectly reasonable assumption, considering that Mace Tyrell did just that, and that "why there was a fight at all" is among the most often asked questions on this forum.

this. 

Sure, Ned decided that his enemy will open their arms and welcome him warmly and return his sister who disappeared for almost 2 years. 

What you said in fact proved my point. 

No matter how many men Ned brought, GRRM will let all of them die for various reasons, only Ned and Reed survived.

If he brought 20, then there would be some extra guards in TOJ to kill them. If he brought only 3, then there would be just Arthur dayne there. (like the show). the ending will be same. 

Why?

Because for the sake of the story, only Ned and Reed should survive. 

But this does not make sense for real event. 

A more reasonable choice will be that Ned brought a larger group with him. He would tell himself: I need to have some helpers, there are probably some guards around Lyanna who was left by rhaegar. Six men may not be enough. I do not want to run this risk that we will be defeated by them. 

I just woke up from a nap(having a lazy day off) but my head is still in the nap but I still fail to see your point. 

And the show end the same as the books don't make me throw up.images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRPqfXSfKQckH5QJSg7NAL

He's not wrong. After the Red Wedding when Blackfish retreats behind Riverrun's walls, the first thing he did before that was burn all the fields surrounding Riverrun so that his enemies couldn't live off his lands while he starved during the upcoming siege. No one calls him out as being a bratty 5 year old for having enacted a scorched earth policy.

A scorched earth policy is standard. If you're going to lose, why would you ever make your enemies life easier and better? Fuck them. Make them pay. Make the prize worthless. Etc. Don't just hand them exactly what they want.

the Blackfish gathered the food what he couldn't take he burned he was not going to starve. 

The Russians did the same thing. Napoleon ain't going to eat off my land. 

Also riverrun can fish the rivers. He wasnt going to starve.

It was a siege, of course he was going to starve.. eventually at least. 

lol Riverrun is built at the point of two rivers with a water wheel and the water gate which takes boats to go through. And can turn itself into an island castle.

But yes you're right eventually. 

I do not think Arthur and Oswell are Rhaegar's personal guards. They are Kingsguard so they serve king. 

Indeed. But KG often get detached for various missions. One of those mission is to guard the crown prince. And if the same KG consistently get assigned to guard the CP, then people start thinking of and calling them the CPs personal guards. That doesn't stop them being KG, or holding first allegiance to the King though.

And just because you think something, doesn't make it fact.

And Gerold Hightower who is the lord commander, absolutely works for Aerys. 

We know Aerys was super crazy that he would only feel comfortable to have KG around him. 

In the peace time, he probably can let his son use two of them, but during rebellion, he will surely ask rhaegar about three of them. 

Well, two were already with Rhaegar, and Aerys personally sent the third to get him. Meanwhile 2 more were detached rallying the survivors of BotBells so Aerys was down to 2 at best, by his own command.
SO it doesn;ts eem to be accurate, your assertion that Aerys needed lots of KG around him.

How did Rheagar explain to him?

Daddy, my new woman is much more important than you, mother, my wife, my children, my brother so she needs three best KG?

Or daddy, if you want me to help you to deal with this war, you had better keep your mouth shut and be OK to have only Jaime with you?

"They are detached on missions, serving our House faithfully. Now about the command you called me here to take up..."

Now I do understand why GRRM is not planning to write a novel for RR and false spring. 

Because he needs it to happen like this but it has too many holes so he can only leave it vague. even himself can not make everything has sense. 

I can make a long list for these things which does not make sense at all:

They do make sense, and all have been explained before. IMO the holes lie in your choices of what to think, rather than in GRRM's writing.

1. Why rhaegar needs to publicly crown Lyanna and bring all the attention to himself? (no matter how much love he had in Lyanna, this is too stupid and completely unnecessary, try to imagine a married president woo another woman in front of his wife during the Olympics opening ceremony with every camera focusing on him)

Its not a 'wooing' at all. Its an honour, for her efforts as KotLT, which cannot be acknowledged otherwise due to Aerys' irrational paranoid enmity.

2. Why did not Aerys try to fetch Lyanna back as a hostage? (not necessarily White Bull, he can send other people later)

Because he doesn't know where she is and the only person he has access to who knows is Rhaegar, who can easily refuse to tell Aerys her location. Remember Aerys has just summoned him to take command against an existential threat to their House. Rhaegar has considerable power here, and Aerys has no other options.

3. How did rhaegar explain to his daddy about kidnapping and Lyanna (come on, she is the sister of the rebellion leader, very suspicious)?

Any number of ways. If he even bothered.

4. How did Rhaegar explain about 3 KG missing?

See above, trivially easy.

5. Why did rhaegar and Lyanna remain so silent after all of the mess?

Out of contact, they were hiding, and it takes months for news to travel and for people to travel large distances.
Besides, they were basically an irrelevance. Brandon shot his mouth off for Treason, and Aerys went over the top in his reaction. What exactly is there to say when they hear a few months later? Its all progressed so far past their involvement...

6. Why the hell Ned only bring 6 men with him to TOJ when he has thousands of them. Seriously, if he took 10, or 15, then it will be a easy victory. 

He didn't expect to have to fight (the Targaryens are essentially destroyed, the KG should be heading to Dragonstone if they want to continue the fight) and he is prepared if necessary to keep secrets from the popular new King, Robert (he knows Lyanna was not kidnapped against her will). He can afford to take only the most trustworthy of men who will choose him over Robert. Every extra man adds enormous risk that someone will sell them out to Robert, especially any man who does not already hold lands and titles for himself or his House.

Come on. 

You come on. :P

If there were two three more guards in toj, then howland and Ned will be dead dead already. 

Or they might not have fought. A standoff. Some other resolution in time. You generally only get a fight when either one side is overwhelming or both sides think they can win.

You are going to rescue your sister from your enemy who was a crown prince in an uncertain location, you only brought six people? He only had six men to trust? 

6 men to trust against King Robert, yes, probably.

This did not make sense at all. 

It is just for plot use. 

Grrm wanted a epic and poetic three versus seven fight. 

He can not just let Ned bring 10 men to easily kill all three KG. 

Then too many figures will be involved in the central mystery. Thus it is not good for writing. One howland is enough. 

I think the writing is just fine. It helps if you bend your understanding to fit the writing, not decide what you like and complain that the writing doesn't fit it.

Mace did that because Ned brought a large army there. 

You think if Ned brought, say, 500 riders, then mace and tarly and redwyne will just bend their knees?

Yes.
There is nothing left to fight for. They fought for the Targaryens. They are gone, and Robert is King now. With Aerys and Rhaegar dead, there is no strong Targaryen leader for them to rally behind and with 5 Major Houses aligned (Stark, Arryn, Tully, Baratheon and now Lannister) and only their traditional enemies the Martells as potential allies, the Tyrells have nothing to gain and everything to lose by keeping on fighting. A generous offer from Robert would be like mana from heaven for them, because they backed the wrong horse and are up shit creek with no paddle now.

They would try to defeat Ned and take their opportunities since Robert was injured and rebellion also lost a lot of people on trident and DS fleets are still intact. Another Blackwater battle will be right there. Viserys will be promised to little margery and unborn Dany will be promised to one of Doran's kids and Dorne will be right there to help.  

Robert is not that badly injured. You have a full unblooded Lannister army, and you have the veterans of 4 regions as well.
And no, they did not 'lose a lot of men' at the Trident. Casualties are usually relatively light in a victory, greater by far after a rout. I would be surprised in the allied forces lost more than a couple of thousand men in total out of 35,000. Plus they had more men coming, the Freys and other uncommitted or absent Houses.
As we saw in the Wot5K, the Lannisters can probably raise another army or two as well, and attack the Reach down the Ocean Road as well marching with the allied forced down the Rose Road.
Against that the Tyrells have some of their army scattered at the Trident (out of Rhaegar's 40,000, a substantial portion must be from the Reach), but the bulk of it sitting inactive in a siege for most of a year. Most of their army is untested in battle (Mace used only the vanguard against Robert)
with Storms End still untaken in front of them and they are now forced onto the strategic defensive and about to either be cut off from their supply chains or fighting on multiple fronts in the Reach, which is a very different prospect from fighting on enemy territory.
And Dorne? Dorne is their traditional enemy. The weakest state within Westeros. Who just lost their main battle leader and 10,000 spears. Dorne will not stand with Highgarden against the rest of Westeros.

The strategic situation for the Tyrells is extraordinarily bad. It wouldn;t be a surprise if they weren't also looking over their shoulders at the Hightowers and Florents and wondering who might be the new Lords of the Reach should they continue to fight King Robert and his allies. And what those new Lords might do to win their prize...

Ned knew he needed a large army to lift the siege. 

No, he did not.

he should also know he needed more than a handful of people to face whoever may guard Lyanna.

Why? Why shouldn't they just give him Lyanna in return for either safe surrender or free passage to Dragonstone? She's nothing to the Targaryen's now that Rhaegar is dead.
He doesn't know about a secret marriage and a new heir that they must protect...

Indeed. But KG often get detached for various missions. One of those mission is to guard the crown prince. And if the same KG consistently get assigned to guard the CP, then people start thinking of and calling them the CPs personal guards. That doesn't stop them being KG, or holding first allegiance to the King though.

And just because you think something, doesn't make it fact.

Its not a 'wooing' at all. Its an honour, for her efforts as KotLT, which cannot be acknowledged otherwise due to Aerys' irrational paranoid enmity.

Because he doesn't know where she is and the only person he has access to who knows is Rhaegar, who can easily refuse to tell Aerys her location

See above, trivially easy.

Out of contact, 

He didn't expect to have to fight (the Targaryens are essentially destroyed, the KG should be heading to Dragonstone if they want to continue the fight) and he is prepared if necessary to keep secrets from the popular new King, Robert (he knows Lyanna was not kidnapped against her will). 

Yes.
There is nothing left to fight for. They fought for the Targaryens. They are gone, and Robert is King now. .

Robert is not that badly injured.  they did not 'lose a lot of men' at the Trident. a substantial portion must be from the Reach,Who just lost their main battle leader and 10,000 spears.

Why? Why shouldn't they just give him Lyanna in return for either safe surrender or free passage to Dragonstone? She's nothing to the Targaryen's now that Rhaegar is dead.
He doesn't know about a secret marriage and a new heir that they must protect...

It is so funny that you told me that "And just because you think something, doesn't make it fact."

but all other bolded parts are something "you think".

I am too tired to recheck everything and mark everything (such as your imagination about R and L marriage stuff, I am sure many people do not agree with you), seriously, how much of your opinions are supported by texts and confirmed?

But you talked as if they are fact as iron. This is double standard, isn't?

It is so funny that you told me that "And just because you think something, doesn't make it fact."

but all other bolded parts are something "you think".

I am too tired to recheck everything and mark everything (such as your imagination about R and L marriage stuff, I am sure many people do not agree with you), seriously, how much of your opinions are supported by texts and confirmed?

But you talked as if they are fact as iron. This is double standard, isn't?

Sorry, I thought that was blatantly clear enough it didn't have to be said. Of course everything I said there is my opinion (and most of it is supported by text, though not necessarily confirmed). I didn't claim any of it as fact. Well, most of it is opinion, some of the strategic stuff is fact and so is Aerys being down to 2 KG by his own choice, for example.
Notic:
your assertion doesn't seem to be accurate
IMO
might not
generally only
yes, probably
I think

I think I was pretty clear that I wasn't answering anything 'definitively'
Much else was also answering questions. You ask a rhetorical question (because you think it a gaping hole you can't answer for), you get a rhetorical answer in return (to show that its not a hole and can be answered for). That doesn't make those answers statements of fact.

Its not a double standard because of the two different things we are doing.
You are saying "I think this, therefore all this stuff doesn't make sense and its bad writing". By saying its bad writing, you are defining your choices as facts, not possibilities.
I am saying "its doesn't have to be bad writing, there are perfectly good explanations available". I am not defining my choices as facts, just using them to show that its not bad writing, its bad choices to interpret the writing, that are the issue here.

What defines our choices of interpretation, is that yours don't work (by your own admission - you are busy complaining about GRRMs writing as a result), and mine do work. I think that choices that hold together through the writing are inherently better than choices that don't hold together through the writing. When/if mine don't hold up to the writing, I change them so they do.

Sorry, I thought that was blatantly clear enough it didn't have to be said. Of course everything I said there is my opinion (and most of it is supported by text, though not necessarily confirmed). I didn't claim any of it as fact. Well, most of it is opinion, some of the strategic stuff is fact and so is Aerys being down to 2 KG by his own choice, for example.
Notic:
your assertion doesn't seem to be accurate
IMO
might not
generally only
yes, probably
I think

I think I was pretty clear that I wasn't answering anything 'definitively'
Much else was also answering questions. You ask a rhetorical question (because you think it a gaping hole you can't answer for), you get a rhetorical answer in return (to show that its not a hole and can be answered for). That doesn't make those answers statements of fact.

Its not a double standard because of the two different things we are doing.
You are saying "I think this, therefore all this stuff doesn't make sense and its bad writing". By saying its bad writing, you are defining your choices as facts, not possibilities.
I am saying "its doesn't have to be bad writing, there are perfectly good explanations available". I am not defining my choices as facts, just using them to show that its not bad writing, its bad choices to interpret the writing, that are the issue here.

What defines our choices of interpretation, is that yours don't work (by your own admission - you are busy complaining about GRRMs writing as a result), and mine do work. I think that choices that hold together through the writing are inherently better than choices that don't hold together through the writing. When/if mine don't hold up to the writing, I change them so they do.

The point is, you said there are perfectly good explanations available. 

This is your opinion and I do not agree. 

Many of your perfectly good explanations did not make much sense to me either. 

GRRM is still a human being, it is surely possible some of his writing are not so good as others for at least some readers. 

For me, after reading your explanations, I still feel these do not make much sense. 

You can disagree with me and said these are perfectly good writings. It is all right. But I can also disagree with you and said these are not so good. Let me put it this way, even all your explanations turn out to be canon, everything you said is fact, I will still say these do not make much sense to me and I think it is not a good writing. 

This is something that bothered me a bit when reading the World Book. I don't have it with me, but it said something like Rhaegar took off for the Trident with all of the Kingsguard except for Jamie. Did people just assume they were all with Rhaegar since they weren't in the capital? Or did Rhaegar go from the TOJ to King's Landing with Dayne, Whent and Hightower (or one or two of them), and then order them to go back to the TOJ after leaving for the Trident? I can't imagine the crown prince traveling from Dorne to KL without at least one of them. I definitely think Aerys would have found that suspicious. 

This is something that bothered me a bit when reading the World Book. I don't have it with me, but it said something like Rhaegar took off for the Trident with all of the Kingsguard except for Jamie. Did people just assume they were all with Rhaegar since they weren't in the capital? Or did Rhaegar go from the TOJ to King's Landing with Dayne, Whent and Hightower (or one or two of them), and then order them to go back to the TOJ after leaving for the Trident? I can't imagine the crown prince traveling from Dorne to KL without at least one of them. I definitely think Aerys would have found that suspicious. 

quote is this

When Prince Rhaegar at last marched up the kingsroad to the Trident, with him were all but one of the Kingsguard who had remained in King’s Landing: Ser Barristan the Bold, Ser Jonothor Darry, and Prince Lewyn of Dorne. 

so they are talking about among all the KG who remained in KL, only Jaime was left in KL. 

Arthur and other two are not KG who had remained in KL. 

They were in TOJ all the time. 

When Prince Rhaegar at last marched up the kingsroad to the Trident, with him were all but one of the Kingsguard who had remained in King's Landing:

Its all but one of the subset who were in KL at the time. Its 3/4, we understand, not 6/7 and does not include Dayne, Whent or Hightower.

I don't think Aerys' suspicions are much of a concern to Rhaegar after his return, only teh orders he can give to others. He's just been recalled by his father who has no other options left to take command against an existential threat to House Targaryen. And when he returns there will be changes.

Hah, ninja'd by P-E, well done. :cheers:

When Prince Rhaegar at last marched up the kingsroad to the Trident, with him were all but one of the Kingsguard who had remained in King's Landing:

Its all but one of the subset who were in KL at the time. Its 3/4, we understand, not 6/7 and does not include Dayne, Whent or Hightower.

I don't think Aerys' suspicions are much of a concern to Rhaegar after his return, only teh orders he can give to others. He's just been recalled by his father who has no other options left to take command against an existential threat to House Targaryen. And when he returns there will be changes.

Hah, ninja'd by P-E, well done. :cheers:

Am I just misunderstanding the part where it says Rhaegar marched up the kingsroad to the Trident with all of the kingsguard but Jaime who remained in KL? It sounds to me like he is pictured leaving KL and marching north up the kingroad with all but one. I'm not saying that's accurate because we know it isn't, but do you guys think there's not a possibility that at least one of the three went with Rhaegar from the TOJ to KL and then went back to the TOJ when Rhaegar headed to the Trident. Aerys wanted Rhaegar to win so he probably wouldn't have object to all of the kingsguard going to the Trident with Rhaegar, so if they all left KL under Rhaegar's command, he still would have had the opportunity to send someone back to the TOJ to guard Lyanna. I just can't see those three knights letting Rhaegar go all of the way from the TOJ to KL without at least one of them for protection. 

I could be reading all of this wrong, I am really tired. Sorry if I'm not making sense. ^-^ 

Am I just misunderstanding the part where it says Rhaegar marched up the kingsroad to the Trident with all of the kingsguard but Jaime who remained in KL? It sounds to me like he is pictured leaving KL and marching north up the kingroad with all but one. I'm not saying that's accurate because we know it isn't, but do you guys think there's not a possibility that at least one of the three went with Rhaegar from the TOJ to KL and then went back to the TOJ when Rhaegar headed to the Trident. Aerys wanted Rhaegar to win so he probably wouldn't have object to all of the kingsguard going to the Trident with Rhaegar, so if they all left KL under Rhaegar's command, he still would have had the opportunity to send someone back to the TOJ to guard Lyanna. I just can't see those three knights letting Rhaegar go all of the way from the TOJ to KL without at least one of them for protection. 

I could be reading all of this wrong, I am really tired. Sorry if I'm not making sense. ^-^ 

By common sense you are surely right.

A crown prince absolutely needs some servants and companions to travel hundreds of miles (he likely even needs to go across war-zone).

Somebody had to arrange for his living and food and horse on his way. 

However, this is a fantasy book, so it does not need to be practical. 

For example, I am pretty sure there should be some servants in TOJ to take care of Lyanna and 3 KG, cooking, cleaning, etc.

But they were not mentioned at all. They all knew Lyanna and rhaegar had a child just like Reed and Ned. 

But they are all ignored. 

But anyway, from the view of this fantasy book, I believe rhaegar traveled by himself.

why? because he can not take anybody from TOJ. all people in TOJ knew where is TOJ and how to find it.  

Aerys can ask them for the location of TOJ. They will need to answer the king the truth. especially three KG. 

This is the main reason Rhaegar left all 3 KG in TOJ. 

Not just to guard Lyanna (he can send some more men to TOJ to replace three KG later or even from somewhere else, like Starfall)

But if he took even one KG with him back to KL, then Aerys will know where Lyanna is. 

Aerys will likely go get Lyanna and then both Lyanna and Rhaegar's savior baby will be in big trouble. 

Rhaegar can not afford to lose this baby. This is his ultimate goal. 

Well, I see what you are saying, but I'd put a comma after KG on that first line if that was the case. Mind you, I write grammatically to match the way I speak, so it is not always technically correct.
Parsing it clearly, I thinking you are saying:
When Prince Rhaegar at last marched up the kingsroad to the Trident, with him were [all but one of the Kingsguard] [who had remained in King's Landing]. For me, thats two clearly separate clauses in the sentence and should be separated and definitely not run together. I'd put a comma in that gap to show the slight pause that separates clauses - whether thats technically the correct way to do it or not (probably not, but I don't think a complete run on is right either). :)
I read it this way: When Prince Rhaegar at last marched up the kingsroad to the Trident, [with him were all but one of] [the Kingsguard who had remained in King's Landing]. I think thats slightly clumsily worded, but runs together much more naturally as one clause.

And although Rhaegar might have had KG escort back to KL, I think if he did he would have sent him/them back to ToJ before any opportunity was had to make contact with Aerys or any of his people. Too great a risk that Aerys could demand the KG come back to the Red Keep also, and answer his questions, which any of them would be honour bound to do. Rhaegar is very much less limited than they are in the ways that he can defy Aerys' will, both directly and indirectly..
He's also a more than capable warrior in his own right. And could easily have picked up a small escort on the way back, similar to the way Catelyn did before apprehending Tyrion for example.

So no, I don't think there is much chance that any of the three KG went all the way to KL with Rhaegar.

By common sense you are surely right.

A crown prince absolutely needs some servants and companions to travel hundreds of miles (he likely even needs to go across war-zone).

Somebody had to arrange for his living and food and horse on his way. 

However, this is a fantasy book, so it does not need to be practical. 

For example, I am pretty sure there should be some servants in TOJ to take care of Lyanna and 3 KG, cooking, cleaning, etc.

But they were not mentioned at all. They all knew Lyanna and rhaegar had a child just like Reed and Ned. 

But they are all ignored. 

But anyway, from the view of this fantasy book, I believe rhaegar traveled by himself.

why? because he can not take anybody from TOJ. all people in TOJ knew where is TOJ and how to find it.  

Aerys can ask them for the location of TOJ. They will need to answer the king the truth. especially three KG. 

Not just to guard Lyanna (he can send some more men to TOJ to replace three KG later or even from somewhere else, like Starfall)

But if he took even one KG with him back to KL, then Aerys will know where Lyanna is. 

Aerys will likely go get Lyanna and then both Lyanna and Rhaegar's savior baby will be in big trouble. 

Dude plays a harp and is super broody. I should know better than to question Rhaegarstiltskin and his plans for a baby. 

Seriously thanks for your thoughts on it, purple-eyes. 

I disagree. 

Rhaegar and his sworn shields, Arthur and Oswell, have every reason to leave the tower, protecting the heir to the throne, Rhaegar himself.  It is the reason why Gerold was bound in the first place.  Rhaegar ordered him to guard the tower and Lyanna who was soon to give birth.

Arthur and Oswell are required to go with him.

Now, before reaching the outskirts of Kingslanding, dressed in common hedge knight of clothing, Rhaegar and the 2KGs stopped.  It is here that Rhaegar most likely made another command to the 2KGs.

Rhaegar: I will go to KL myself, you two, go back to the tower and guard it with the Lord Commander.

Why?? There's a good reason that Aerys will bound the 2KGs to answer "some" questions that they must answer to if they are at the king's presence.

Knowing how honorable Arthur and Oswell in following the Kingsguard code, Rhaegar would not risk that chance to happen (even if they are willing to lie to the king for Rhaegar's sake).

I disagree. 

Rhaegar and his sworn shields, Arthur and Oswell, have every reason to leave the tower, protecting the heir to the throne, Rhaegar himself.  It is the reason why Gerold was bound in the first place.  Rhaegar ordered him to guard the tower and Lyanna who was soon to give birth.

Arthur and Oswell are required to go him.

Now, before reaching the outskirts of Kingslanding, dressed in common hedge knight of clothing, Rhaegar and the 2KGs stopped.  It is here that Rhaegar most likely made another command to the 2KGs.

Rhaegar: I will go to KL myself, you two, go back to the tower and guard it with the Lord Commander.

Why?? There's a good reason that Aerys will bound the 2KGs to answer "some" questions that they must answer to if they are at the king's presence.

Knowing how honorable Arthur and Oswell, follow the Kingsguard code, Rhaegar would not risk that chance to happen (even if they are willing to lie to the king for Rhaegar's sake).

There is absolutely nothing to tell us they are his sworn shields. They are kingsguard. 

By default they serve the king. Aerys can ask them to guard rhaegar, but they do not belong to Rhaegar. 

Good fan-fic by the way.

IMHO, (pure fanfic too), it is more likely that Aerys assigned Arthur to rhaegar firstly, then after he got married and got two royal children, especially baby Aegon, then Aerys assigned Whent to his family. But rhaegar took both KG with him to elope with Lyanna and left his family unprotected by KG. now you know what a bad father rhaegar is, he stole his children's guard to protect his lover and then caused his children die brutally. 

Archived