Jury Duty

Lily Valley

I'm really curious to know how states and counties manage the choosing of prospective jurors. I'm 43 and I have been called for jury duty once in 25 years. My wife has been called at least 5 or 6 times. We have always been registered voters and from what i can tell we keep up to date on all government forms etc.

I have this theory that when I first registered to vote back in 1990 I registered as an R (::braces self for the collective board hive to clutch pearls!!!::) and somehow got flagged as a subversive and left off the jury duty list.

I'm really curious to know how states and counties manage the choosing of prospective jurors. I'm 43 and I have been called for jury duty once in 25 years. My wife has been called at least 5 or 6 times. We have always been registered voters and from what i can tell we keep up to date on all government forms etc.

I have this theory that when I first registered to vote back in 1990 I registered as an R (::braces self for the collective board hive to clutch pearls!!!::) and somehow got flagged as a subversive and left off the jury duty list.

:lol:  I used to registered as an "R" as well (hard to imagine, I know) and was called in 3 times in 20 years.  I first changed to an indepenent in 2008 and now (this year) a "D" (so I can vote in the primaries).  2 of my calls were before 2008. :dunno:  I honestly don't think that matters much. It's kind of random here.  I don't think my husband has ever been called in for it.

Rereading your post: there is no set schedule (at least in my corner of the country.) It's an 'on call' sort of thing, except if you have to go in the next day, it screws your week up.  You should have a number that will go to an answering machine, updated daily, telling you when your group is supposed to show up.  This 'on call' / 'call in' bit is why so many people try to get out of jury duty.

Hmmm...my understanding is you have a DUI/Traffic Record issues.  Unless they're desperate to fill the ranks, they might get rid of you right away in that case.  They don't like people with more than very minor traffic violations.

No, my traffic issues are due to the fact that I like to crash my car into other cars when wide awake and totally sober.  I also like to park illegally, I never pay parking tickets, I can't use turn signals,  I can't remember to tell the DMV when I don't have a car and never turn in my plates.  In addition I like to speed when listening to the Ramones, although I don't do it on purpose.  All in all, my pals have been begging me to turn in my license since I got it.  So now I ride a bike and I have enough money left over to go to conventions and see you guys.  Cabs really aren't that expensive and my butt looks awesome.  

I was initially given 3 dates that I have to show up for the pool.  I hear they won't even give us a sandwich.  This is an outrage.

There is some kind of call in system but it's totally unclear how it will be used.  

Lily,

Federal Court or local State court?  My last jury duty notice was for Federal Court.  I had to drive to Florence, about an hour from my house, sit in the Courthouse all day and not get picked.  I can't be called for Federal Jury duty for another 3 years.

That was my experience.

City Criminal and I wouldn't be able to travel that far, obviously.

I have been excused every single time.  Three times in two different states. 

Talk to me about your magic words.

The waiting around thing is pretty common.  I was selected on 2 juries last time, but then the Defense dismissed me.

we were a court room, they had the prospective jurors stand as they asked several questions.  I had 2 that I stood for: if they had worked in law enforcement or associated with it, and if they or a member of their family was a victim of a violent crime. I knew I was going to be a no-go.

If they dismissed everyone who had been a victim of a violent crime here nobody would ever be able to serve on any jury.

Does the jury pool come from voter registration lists?

From what I understand yes, and then also you have to have the same address for two years. 

Also someone said something about a hangover.  I have been advised not to show up drunk, but will I be in contempt if I have a hangover?  8am is just ridiculous.

Does the jury pool come from voter registration lists?

It varies and usually includes more than one source: voter registration, driver's license, changes of address, department of revenue.

Lily, expect a lot of sitting around and waiting. If you are lucky, you will be one of the first prospective jurors to be called for voir dire. Sometimes it is best to be chosen in the morning for a quick case that takes one afternoon as opposed to waiting all day and having to return for the next two days. When called for voir dire, counsel will ask the jury questions eliciting responses to reveal whether potential jurors are prejudiced or not. Like another poster stated above, counsel may also use peremptory challenges to remove any juror they wish for no cause. The question asked. The judge will usually ask basic questions of each juror: age, profession, etc. Counsel will ask questions more pertinent to the case. They are usually broad but can be a bit personal depending on the case. Attorneys for each side will choose half of the jurors with one being mutual.

If selected you just sit through the case hearing evidence from both sides. Yes, most attorneys are not as interesting as those seen on television or film. Objections by opposing counsel will be common. The judge will tell you how to treat each. The confusing will probably be jury instructions since both sides are negotiating as to what those are. Please ask for clarifications on these when needed. They may be poorly drafted or a bit too legalistic for those with no legal background. During deliberations you do exactly that. Some can be contentious, many times they are not very. Just apply the evidence of the case to the jury instructions and decide.

I may be regurgitating information you already have, and for that, I apologize.  It's really a painless process and can be quite interesting for those curious about the legal system. However, it can be quite boring for those who are not. Most people do not enjoy having their tight schedules interrupted and sitting around all day is never fun.

I have only been called twice for jury duty and was never selected as a juror. I was lucky enough to either be out of state or abroad and was exempted from service other times I received notice for jury duty. Those two times I sat for voir dire, I fulfilled my obligations and was sent home after not being selected. I'm not sure how your state handles this. Also, if selected, hopefully you won't be the secretive alternate juror forced to sit through the case and not allowed to deliberate. I've never had to come back for a second day, but I was also called as a reserve jurist both times.

TLDR: blah blah, may be a lot of sitting around, best to be selected early, our legal system if fascinating, be out of state during your dates

I've been really lucky with jury duty.  I used to get summoned all the time when I was in college and when lived abroad and it was a simple matter of submitting the form that it was too much of a hardship to travel to attend.  I was still a technically resident of the state and so they kept sending summonses and I kept not having to go.  Then I got one when I was living in state and I went and it was done by noon.  Haven't received one since, though I'm now resident in a new state so I should be up for the suffering soonish.  

As someone who's from a country that doesn't have a jury system, but who graduated from law school, I'm interested in what you guys and gals who sat on the jury think of how the system is set up. Does it seem just? Do jurors fully commit and deliberate before reaching the verdict? Or is it a case of "let's not really bother all that much about this thing so we can go home as quickly and painlessly as possible"?

I'm reminded of the great Sidney Lumet movie 12 Angry Men, where all the jurors except one carry all kinds of baggage that interferes with their judgment until awesome Henry Fonda sets them straight.:wub:

There is some kind of call in system but it's totally unclear how it will be used.

Unless your local government is utterly incompetent, you need two things:

1) Your Group ID, which should be on one of the postcard deals that was mailed to you.  Failing that, get hold of the jury clerk.

2) The phone number for the 'call in system.'  That should also be on the postcard, or available through the jury clerk.  Call it daily and see if your group has been summoned.

As jury duty is usually a call in everyday (except weekends and holidays) for a full month, I really hope you're on top of this.

As someone who's from a country that doesn't have a jury system, but who graduated from law school, I'm interested in what you guys and gals who sat on the jury think of how the system is set up. Does it seem just? Do jurors fully commit and deliberate before reaching the verdict? Or is it a case of "let's not really bother all that much about this thing so we can go home as quickly and painlessly as possible"?

I'm reminded of the great Sidney Lumet movie 12 Angry Men, where all the jurors except one carry all kinds of baggage that interferes with their judgment until awesome Henry Fonda sets them straight

In my experience, yes we did fully deliberate over each point.  As to 'just'...well the first one was quasi-recreational litigation for the defendant.  Had the cop bothered to correctly fill out the paperwork, the guy wouldn't have had a case.  The other one, the defendant could have skated with a minor fine, but fought the case (and won) on principal. (And forked over a lot more money).

Grand Jury...as much as we were able, we did deliberate each case brought to us.  I remember something like 30-40 cases a day. (Small town Alaska).  Unlike petit jury, we could ask witnesses, cops, and victims questions within tight limits decreed by the prosecutor. The intent was to determine if there was sufficient evidence to go to trial, what is termed a 'true bill.'  Almost every grand jury case I heard resulted in a true bill.  The only times it didn't was when the prosecutor dropped the ball big time. 

This is why I was so suspicious of the grand jury verdict in the Ferguson mess.  The ONLY way that verdict could have come about would be if the prosecutor went far, far out of his way to sabotage the case against the cop.  That he imposed (or tried to impose) a lifetime gag order on the grand jurors afterwards confirms this.  Otherwise, cop or no, that case would have gone to trial.  The whole grand jury system is weighted that way to an extreme degree. 

Unless your local government is utterly incompetent, you need two things:

1) Your Group ID, which should be on one of the postcard deals that was mailed to you.  Failing that, get hold of the jury clerk.

2) The phone number for the 'call in system.'  That should also be on the postcard, or available through the jury clerk.  Call it daily and see if your group has been summoned.

As jury duty is usually a call in everyday (except weekends and holidays) for a full month, I really hope you're on top of this.

Ok.  My big confusion is about the call in system. I thought I only needed to show up for pool on my three dates.  Picked for a trial obviously another issue.

To bolded:  You know where I live right?

I really, really appreciate your feedback.  That paper stuff is ...somewhere.  As I said, the instructions were written by morons.  I already went online and was told, "do this instead of using the paper we sent".  I got another mailing with my three dates and was told I needed the paper they told me to disregard.  It does not make me feel like anyone there is respecting my time or my schedule or my lack of desire to make my house look like Mortville.  Who keeps a paper for a whole month?  

As to your last comment, I wouldn't be in a panic about this if I planned to jerk off instead.  However, I'm planning meetings for the end of term, final exams etc.  It would be great if I could let my colleagues know when I'm around.

To bolded:  You know where I live right?

My understanding is that New Orleans is a corrupt third world enclave masquerading as a US metropolis.  Even so, they still have to observe the forms.

As to your last comment, I wouldn't be in a panic about this if I planned to jerk off instead.  However, I'm planning meetings for the end of term, final exams etc.  It would be great if I could let my colleagues know when I'm around.

Welcome to the joys of jury duty.  Finding somebody to fill in for me at work last time was a challenge.  On the bright side, your superiors cannot retaliate against you because you are on jury duty.  Civic obligation trumps work.  Have you let somebody further up the food chain at your place of employment know that you have been nailed for jury duty?  If not, do so ASAP. 

Ok.  My big confusion is about the call in system. I thought I only needed to show up for pool on my three dates.  Picked for a trial obviously another issue.

In my experience, its call in every day for that month.  It might be different in your corner of the country.  Around here, the automated  message is usually changed about 5:00 pm.  Find out your Group ID.  Find that phone number.  Make the call. Those are the really super important things to do to avoid getting in trouble.

And if you have to go in tomorrow bring that book (or pile of test papers that needs grading). 

Should you end up on a trial, then you get instructions from the judge or court staff as to when to show up, not the automated system. 

My experience is that I've gotten letters maybe 6 times in 24 years as an adult, and never actually had to show up for court because my service got cancelled the day before.  Though one time the court didn't update their voicemail message and I got bitched out for actually showing up as instructed.

There was also a computer glitch where for about 6 years they didn't select people from the town I lived in, but eventually that got fixed.

Being self employed, I do dread the summons when I get it, but so far never been.

OK.  So showing up at 8:30 am for anything is not my favorite thing in the world.  Nobody came to talk to us until a little after nine.

We were given instructions (finally).  Compared to the stories I've heard here on the board and from other parishes in Louisiana, our jury commissioners really have their shit together.  The three days I was given are the three days I'll serve unless chosen for a trial.  The time and length of the trial are told to you during vior dire.  You can also swap your dates on the day you report if you have a schedule conflict.  In the case of December, that's before the 10th.  You just have to serve by the end of the month.  Also, if you serve for a trial, then each day on that trial releases you from a day of service if it isn't one of your scheduled days. 

The call in system is used for Civil Court to find out when your trial is scheduled if you're chosen.

There are 12 courts and there's a big countdown timer in the waiting room.  Once that thing reaches zero, all the judges have reported that they do or do not need a jury and we can go home.

I got called for the first pool at around 10:30.  50 of us for voir dire.  I was excused (thank you MC), but I was in the last group questioned and didn't get out of there until 5:30.  The defendant was present, this surprised many of us.  It made perfect sense once I thought about it.  We were potentially judging his trial.  I'd have wanted to be there if it was mine.

When the second panel was questioned, several of the jurors chosen from the first panel were back struck.  I assume some were disqualified, I can't imagine that each side got that many strikes.

It was an interesting day.  Depressing as hell, but certainly not a waste of time.  December's pool is nearly all teachers, college students and lawyers.  Interesting and intelligent crowd.  It's also a short month to serve.  Recommend getting yourself scheduled for December if you have a chance. 

Also, the cafe in the courthouse was great.  The coffee was mediocre, I find keurig uses too much water.  The food, however, was simple and delicious and totally made up for it.  Lunch was a BLT on wheat with fruit and a drink for $5. Perfectly toasted bread, perfectly ripe tomato, just the right amount of mayo and lots of crispy bacon.

Archived