Will the Hound die for Sansa?

LordImp

Honestly I hope Sansa and Sandor reunite, give the game and system that's been screwing them over a giant middle finger, and run away to live out their lives in peace.

Yes. Lots of things, here and there. She defended his "jousting" in the scene with the washerwomen by the well, and he keeps revisiting that. And the stealing a sweet kiss with a "blade" song about the fair maiden in Gulltown (featured in yet another Sandor/Dunk parallel, while he was digging a grave), and she's remembering his kiss, and he's remembering her song. And he asks for her song when she places him in her dream, and later her marriage bed, because of how he kissed her. Bigger than the man he's replacing, as she dreams of him in bed with her. And of course, get her a dog, she'll be happier for it. And she lies down beside the hound in bed, who she made fast friends with, and he licks her face, and she ruffles his fur. And then she misses hounds to bark and growl. And wants to dream a sweet dream and wake to dogs barking, and more jousting... And much more...

So to answer the question, I think Sandor is in the story to do something for Sansa other than die for her, just saying.

I think she kind of liked the red tunic, though. She petted him wearing it. He knows what he's doing.

Beauty wants a Beast, not a puppy. He's got to stay a bit wild, you know? Stranger would disown him if he's too tame.

Well, the red tunic was the scariest thing about Sandor that night. LOL.

Also, I'm firmly in the camp that Sandor won't go all Lancel on us.

Hells, no. It would be a personality swap for him to go all Lancel, but it would also make the Stranger stories meaningless. He has his master's nature. And he wants out of there. And Dog was bored there, too.

He traded in the red tunic for the Quiet Isle Halloween costume special!  Now that's scary.

I don't think it's all so simple, 'the Hound dies for Sansa', the end. None of it is simple, but Sandor Clegane's story isn't either.

The Hound's story is: tragedy, tragedy, tragedy. Rising above tragedy, calling bullshit on the others, dealing with an unruly girl (to put it nicely), running into roadblocks, working around them, and tragedy. Tears, fears, tears, and tears.

In the midst of that he has a heart and cares for Sansa.

Who else really does? Arya? No. She cares for Jon and she's worried about not living up to her mother's expectations.

Littlefinger? No. He says he only loved Catelyn. But that is a lie he tells himself. He only loves himself.

Jon Snow? No, he cares for Arya. He was going to throw away his vows, his brothers, and go rescue her. He got himself killed for Arya.

So where does that leave us after five books and two left to go? 

Sandor loves Sansa. Would he die for her? Yes. Will he? No. Why? Because more tragedy does not provide a resolution to his story. A somewhat uplifting resolution does.

Sandor is not the only one who is going to die for Sansa at the end of the saga. There is going to be 7vs7 trial by combat for Joffrey's murder. Sansa's team of Arya, Sandor, Brienne, Podrick, Loras Tyrell, Bronn and Jaime will engage Cersei's team of Robert Strong, Ilyn Payne and 5 other Kingsguards. Everyone will end up dying after this trial except Jaime, Cersei, Arya and Sansa. Jaime will go on to stop Mad Cersei from burning King's Landing with wildfire, but will be unsuccessful unlike the time he stopped Mad King. The twins will die killing each other, Jaime strangling her to death, while Cersei stabs him fatally with his own weapon (thanks to amazing Mithras for this foreshadowing).

And I am serious, this is not fanfic. I can go into hows and whys for each character to be present there, but it is going to be a HUGE wall of text. I actually should open a new thread discussing this.

I completely believe that you're serious, but fanfic/theory is exactly what this is.

I don't think it's all so simple, 'the Hound dies for Sansa', the end. None of it is simple, but Sandor Clegane's story isn't either.

The Hound's story is: tragedy, tragedy, tragedy. Rising above tragedy, calling bullshit on the others, dealing with an unruly girl (to put it nicely), running into roadblocks, working around them, and tragedy. Tears, fears, tears, and tears.

In the midst of that he has a heart and cares for Sansa.

Who else really does? Arya? No. She cares for Jon and she's worried about not living up to her mother's expectations.

Littlefinger? No. He says he only loved Catelyn. But that is a lie he tells himself. He only loves himself.

Jon Snow? No, he cares for Arya. He was going to throw away his vows, his brothers, and go rescue her. He got himself killed for Arya.

So where does that leave us after five books and two left to go? 

Sandor loves Sansa. Would he die for her? Yes. Will he? No. Why? Because more tragedy does not provide a resolution to his story. A somewhat uplifting resolution does.

You make some great points here K.  The hound or Sandor is mentioned in every book of the series so far.  Because of this and his "Look at me!" spadeful of dirt thrown on Bri's feet I'd say he'll be back.  And he has a story to finish with his little bird, and if anyone could use an 'uplifting resolution', he does. 

How can Brienne get with the hound when she's going to be snuggled up with Jaime? :)  It is  known!!

i don't really like Jaime's character but i'm a BRienne fan and i have to admit Brienne has feelings for Jaime. She thinks of him in the same context of Sansa thinking about Sandor. Brienne's first love was Renly, and Sansa's first love was Joffrey. 

The Hound and Sansa will encounter each other at LF's Tourney.  But which "Hound" will it be?  

why aside from personal hope, do you think he will leave the quiet isle. He has taken a vow not to speak for a decade, he is injured and the crown wants him dead. He is staying put for now 

why aside from personal hope, do you think he will leave the quiet isle. He has taken a vow not to speak for a decade, he is injured and the crown wants him dead. He is staying put for now 

I never said Sandor would appear at LF's tournament.  I said "the Hound" would.  I think the Hound lives on, but the Hound is no longer Sandor, and Sandor is no longer the Hound.

But since you mention it ... I do think Sandor will leave the QI.  Mainly because the job of a True Knight is to defend the weak, not to hide behind walls while the weak get slaughtered.  And they're getting slaughtered already.  As for his vow of silence, I don't recall the "decade" thing, but even if  his vow of silence does last a decade, one does not need to speak to swing a sword at whoever or whatever is slaughtering the peasants, burning the crops, or devouring the local maidens.

My bet is Sansa will end up back in KL,   traded in by LF or abducted by the Mad Mouse or by some other means.

Cers will have proved her innocence of the charges laid by the High Septon by trial of combat with UG as her champion.

Sansa will face charges of Regicide and will elect to go to trial by combat  UG in his white cloak for the crown v Sansa's champion, (provided by a very suspicious HS)

Cleganebowl.

How about a cracpot theory, UG has his Helmet knocked off. nothing there, headless UG goes on uncontrolled rampage and kills boy bystander as he did in Gregor v Oberyn, except this innocent bystander happens to be Tommen.

Myrcella is already dead, Killed by Sandsnakes.

Cers loses it big time, heads down the burn KL route and is killed by Sandor,( he is a Valonqhar too)

Perhaps I'm among the extreme minority, but I don't think we'll ever see Sandor again in the series.  He'll stay on the Quiet Isle for the near future, in penance but also for personal healing.

It's actually a common opinion.  But I don't agree with it ... unless it merely means that GRRM will never finish the series, which is perfectly likely.

I never said Sandor would appear at LF's tournament.  I said "the Hound" would.  I think the Hound lives on, but the Hound is no longer Sandor, and Sandor is no longer the Hound.

"Hound" seems associated with Sandor's helmet, last seen worn by Rorge, whom Brienne killed. Who might the new Hound be? 

Archived