US Politics - We're through the looking glass here people

Shryke

What would Clinton have to explain? Like, how are you thinking the Lewinsky clusterfuck is bad for her? What is there to hit her with there?

You do know the Clinton in question is not Bill Clinton, yes?

"Your husband cheated on you!" is just ... not an attack on Hillary Clinton.

I never said they weren't reported on, I said they didn't care. The media, as you should well know, is perfectly capable of making something a big scandal if they want to. Or at least trying to. But they have never bothered to even try with Rubio. Cause no one cares about him, even now.

The media tried and is still trying to make people care.  Rubio's financial problems are well reported on.  If you google "Marco Rubio credit card" you get over 500,000 hits.  The link results are filled with pages and pages of citations to news articles.  It's just that as far as scandals go, this one is as boring and inconsequential as it gets.  People have been reporting on this for years going back to at least 2010, and there are articles still being published today.  It's never gotten any traction in the past, and it won't get any in the future.

I'm having quite a bit of difficulty wrapping my head around how the Lewinsky affair is going to hurt Hillary Clinton among her supporters. Especially considering that it's v twenty years in the past and Democrats don't care about it at this point. 

If you want to use things Bill did against Hillary there are much more damning lines of attack, such as signing off on NAFTA or signing the Gramm- Leach-Bliley Act into law.

Nothing is going to hurt Hillary amongst her supporters. I'm looking at it mostly from the entertainment value it would provide. It may not move the needle from a political perspective but it could provide a catalyst to make this the most anticipated debate of all time. I'm a bit sophomoric about these things so I think it would be kind of interesting to see Trump try to use it in response to the inevitable attack against his character that will come up. Does anyone really think Trump would shy away from bringing it up if her thought he could get a reaction out of her?

Maybe I'm not paying close enough attention but I haven't heard Bill Clinton brought up at all during this campaign. I doubt his scandals will hurt Hillary. If anything didn't the Lewinsky affair make her look sympathetic?

I do see the reasoning, but I don't think it's Trump's most obvious line of attack. He has already been happy to mention the email issue, which is actually something she did rather than her husband and would no doubt seem to him worth throwing in her face if they do ever debate. Of course, that too seems unlikely to sway too many democrats away from her and bringing up Bill Clinton's less liberal acts (DOMA, say) would be rather hard to make into a line of attack for someone who would obviously not be in favor of a farther left alternative—though perhaps I am just uncreative at creating political attack ads. 

I don't think it makes her look weak, I just think it makes her look calculating. But we already knew that.

The way to attack the Clintons from the left is on war (Trump is less hawkish despite his rhetoric) and trade (NAFTA, etc). He'd need to practice and sharpen his debate skills before facing her, though.

Oh I agree: war and trade are places that Clinton would be open to an attack from the left. But it seems like Trump would have to thread a very fine line to attack her for hawkishness without alienating innumerable Republicans.

Though he already seems perfectly fine with alienating them, so perhaps it's silly of me to think that he would try to be more politic once/if he attains the nomination... 

Oh I agree: war and trade are places that Clinton would be open to an attack from the left. But it seems like Trump would have to thread a very fine line to attack her for hawkishness without alienating innumerable Republicans.

Though he already seems perfectly fine with alienating them, so perhaps it's silly of me to think that he would try to be more politic once/if he attains the nomination... 

I think the only Republicans who would vote for Clinton over Trump because of foreign policy are neocons and Israel-firsters who would never vote for Trump anyway. People who praise Marco Rubio for his "expertise" :dunce:

The GOP base is receptive to a less interventionist foreign policy, as long as its wrapped in nationalist rhetoric. Trump has been threading that line pretty well so far

Scott, If you want to talk to some Trump supporters go over to Scot Adams blog. He's doing a series on how Trump i some kind of Master Wizard Persuader who will win it all. But the comments are full of reasonably intelligent people who support Trump. Mostly a lot of these people are right leaning engineers or programmers, so not exactly Trumps core demographic but if you want to talk to a Trump supporter and not have it descend into gibbering madness that's the place to look.  

The media tried and is still trying to make people care.  Rubio's financial problems are well reported on.  If you google "Marco Rubio credit card" you get over 500,000 hits.  The link results are filled with pages and pages of citations to news articles.  It's just that as far as scandals go, this one is as boring and inconsequential as it gets.  People have been reporting on this for years going back to at least 2010, and there are articles still being published today.  It's never gotten any traction in the past, and it won't get any in the future.

Please. Even the media doesn't care. You wanna see what it looks like when the media tries to make a story happen, look at Trump. Look at Clinton's "scandals". That's what it looks like when they want to make a story happen.

Rubio's financials are a thing they report on but don't care to make a big deal about.

If Rubio is nominated the lens these in which these things are viewed will be magnified.

Indeed. The minute Rubio starts being a major player, there will be interest on all sides in digging into his shit.

That's why no one cared to make anything of Carson's stories till his star was rising.

Why does she look weak because he cheats on her?

I agree that I don't think most people would see it that way, although Trump (or whoever) might think they would. I suspect that under those circumstances most voters are likely to sympathize with Hillary. They understand that the person who is cheated upon is not to blame, and implications that she is will likely be viewed as mean and unworthy. 

In any case, almost nobody cares about a scandal that happened twenty years previously for which Hillary was not in any way to blame.

Tracker,

I agree that Hillary bears no blame for President Clinton's behavior. She does however need to own her decisions for how she handled it after the facts became public. As President there are times when decisions need to be made based on unbending principles. We all have our own personal red lines and because of Bill's behavior Hillary's red line was exposed to the public.  Most voters have been in one or more relationships over their life and can relate to needing to make a decision on whether to stay or leave based on how someone treats them. In my personal view I equate her behavior as being weak and this directly correlates to how she might handle decisions as President.  You may want to deflect this by saying it is old news but I think it matters to more people than you realize.

Archived