Your Random ASOIAF/TWOIAF/D&E Opinions, Confessions and Dirty Secrets, (making the) 8. [The Seven was cursed]

JonCon's Red Beard

Hey there Maester,

I was feeling thin and flexible and dangerous so I opted for a change... But I just finished dinner and I made homemade Mac n' cheese so I think I'm ready to switch back to momma June :D

~~~~~snip~~~~

I know my vote doesn't count for anything, but pleaaaaassseeee don't go back to your old avatar, it reminds me of my boss!      :ack:

I know my vote doesn't count for anything, but pleaaaaassseeee don't go back to your old avatar, it reminds me of my boss!      :ack:

That is AWEFUL! I'm so sorry and I'd hate to think of what you do for work :D Aeon may stick around for a while. 

Ah yes, the 'interesting' theological view of burning prostitutes as sacrifices. Much more moral.

I didn't say he was a good person or that he didn't deserve to die just that he showed moral growth whereas most other characters showed moral regression or are more evil than victarion.

I totally agknowledge that He is evil and deserves to die but if I wanted to root for a pov who was good i would be restricted to Davos and children and I'm not even sure about some of these kids.

I wouldn't say Victarion is "evil". He's been raised in his crazy culture.

And yet, he's able to tell right from wrong: he knows his brother is very fucked up.

Honestly, I think The Ironborn Culture and Religion is undeniably evil. The only good thing I can see about The Ironborn is that they aren't as genocidal as The Dothraki, but that bar is pretty damn low.

Asha Greyjoy, Quellon Greyjoy, and Harmund III Hoare are the only three ironborn characters who I can describe as even remotely good, and all three of them have seen their attempts at progressive reform get reversed by Reaver Assholes. 

The Iron Islands getting scourged by dragonfire is too much to wish for, but I'm still crossing my fingers that Theon and Asha abandon their wack-ass Drowned God and openly convert to The Old Gods.

Honestly, I think The Ironborn Culture and Religion is undeniably evil. The only good thing I can see about The Ironborn is that they aren't as genocidal as The Dothraki, but that bar is pretty damn low.

Asha Greyjoy, Quellon Greyjoy, and Harmund III Hoare are the only three ironborn characters who I can describe as even remotely good, and all three of them have seen their attempts at progressive reform get reversed by Reaver Assholes. 

The Iron Islands getting scourged by dragonfire is too much to wish for, but I'm still crossing my fingers that Theon and Asha abandon their wack-ass Drowned God and openly convert to The Old Gods.

This Reader snub! And Tristifer Botley deserves a mention too.

I'm hopeful that seeing the perspective of Aly Mormont about how Bear Island considers the Ironborn scum will help Asha reevaluate the merits of the Old Way.

I wouldn't say Victarion is "evil". He's been raised in his crazy culture.

And yet, he's able to tell right from wrong: he knows his brother is very fucked up.

I think there's  difference between big E evil and small e evil. I put Victarion in small e cause I think that if he was put in different circumstances he could grow and change his views and stop doing evil shit whereas the only way to get big E people like Gregor, Euron and Ramsay to stop doing evil shit would be two eyes on them at all time and the threat of severe punishment if they stepped out of line.

Hey there Maester,

I was feeling thin and flexible and dangerous so I opted for a change... But I just finished dinner and I made homemade Mac n' cheese so I think I'm ready to switch back to momma June :D

I will Nevah! give up on ice dragons. :cheers: As a matter of fact, while listening to ADWD yesterday I came across the description Bran had in the back of the cave describing giant "bat" bones. And compared to Dany describing Viserion hanging like a giant bat and the World book has no mention of giant bats I have gone all googley-eyed about them again. 

ICE DRAGONS FOREVER!!!

As for your question about the song lyrics, search up 'songs' on the wiki. All the transcripts (that we know about) of all the songs (that we hear) are there.

I didn't say he was a good person or that he didn't deserve to die just that he showed moral growth whereas most other characters showed moral regression or are more evil than victarion.

But what growth is he showing? He started out bad, and he's gotten worse. I don't think Victarion at the beginning would have burnt alive those prostitutes, so I definitely think he's regressed morally.

I think that Ironborn culture is pretty cool but people from there who were mentioned and described by George are mostly annoying. Although I can't deny that Victarion is the embodiment of awesomeness.

This Reader snub! And Tristifer Botley deserves a mention too.

I'm hopeful that seeing the perspective of Aly Mormont about how Bear Island considers the Ironborn scum will help Asha reevaluate the merits of the Old Way.

Seriously. I love how people want to take an entire culture and judge that all people in that culture are all the same.

I think that Ironborn culture is pretty cool but people from there who were mentioned and described by George are mostly annoying. Although I can't deny that Victarion is the embodiment of awesomeness.

It would be cool to BE Ironborn, but it would be much less cool to be a Westerosi Peasant sharing the Sunset Sea with them. There's a reason Bear Island and Seaguard are both super-defensive warrior cultures.

Seriously. I love how people want to take an entire culture and judge that all people in that culture are all the same.

In some cases, the culture itself is fucked-up beyond redemption. If you gain wealth through peaceful trade and non-violent means, then you "paid the gold price" and failed as an Ironborn. If you settle down to farm and never rape or pillage or fight, then you failed as a Dothraki. 

Tristifer Botley deserves a mention too.

Tristifer should have been born in The Reach. That's where he would have been best suited.

I will be quite happy if he marries a nice Greenland Maid and converts to The Seven.

Archived