Your Random ASOIAF/TWOIAF/D&E Opinions, Confessions and Dirty Secrets, (making the) 8. [The Seven was cursed]

JonCon's Red Beard

Last night, slightly drunk on a bizarrely strong eggnog, I had an incredibly random thought about something Martin could've done to make the Dorne chapters bearable, if not kickass: first, get rid of the superfluous POVs of Arys and Hotah. Second, save Arianne's POV for later, when she sets out on her mission. Instead, the POV we get to show us Dorne for the first time is...Loras!

I would absolutely read that. Loras isn't on page in scenes nearly enough. (I also enjoyed the Olenna's description of him as not so bright.) Loras wouldn't be able to bring Doran's grief across though, so I wouldn't nix Hotah. Without him, it's harder to see why the Snakes and Arianne don't just bully him into going to war.

I would have rather had Arys' portion of the story told through Arianne's POV because you don't have to be in his head to portray a gullible, sex-starved Kingsguard who is woefully misinformed about what he's doing. His chapter was really cringeworthy because unlike Arianne who realizes that she messed up and gets in on the real planning with Doran, Arys just messes up and dies. He had one chapter. It wasn't like Ned where you have a whole book to get to know the guy. I couldn't bring myself to care when he was killed. It was a waste of a POV imo.

JonCon and

Arianne

have the same opinion about Lysono Maar.

Dany's problem will always be that she needed her dragons to get big enough before heading for Westeros. Drogon can already carry a person on his back and

Viserys and Rhaegal are big enough to carry a man on their mouths

Make Dany arrive earlier to Westeros would make the Mother of Dragons look like the MOther of Lizards.

thralls of the Great Other can't comprehend the glory of D&E.

Convert to Dunkeism and be saved.

I would trade The Princess and the Queen, the Rogue Prince and TWoIaF for more Dunk in like a nanosecond, no doubt about it, but not the main series.

I would trade The Princess and the Queen, the Rogue Prince and TWoIaF for more Dunk in like a nanosecond, no doubt about it, but not the main series.

if answering seriously, I think I'd prefer D&E over the main series because I could see where the rest of the main series is going, what direction the development of the characters I care about is going, who would be major players, and it is near it's climax. If there is no continuation I'd be fine with it.

But D&E - we know how it ends, but in-between it has more room for unexpected, it's more unpredictable and it could feature brand new characters, new places (and with less filler).

Now that we are so close to 2016, everytime I check on GRRM's not a blog I dare to hope there's a chance he will say he finished Winds. 

Hope hurts

Hope is like prophecy, according to Marwyn, it'll bite your prick off every time. 

I feel your prickless pain. 

When I read "The Mystery Knight" for the first time, I thought that John the Fiddler was acting strange around Dunk, but I didn't catch on that he was hitting on him. 

I don't think I'm the first to have this happen, but I completely rushed through all of those signs in my quest to reach the ending. 

Also, I really love the Varys is a merling theory and have it as my own head canon. 

Feliz ano novo! Happy New Year!

I confess that I spend so much time on here that the other night I had a dream where TWOW was released and Euron turned out to be Daario. Hell of a nightmare.

But but Daario is Euron, Benjen and 4-5 other characters.(It is known) I am making a new year's resolution to spread this truth as far and as wide as I can.

Happy 2016, everyone!!!!

Archived