Robert's rebellion: A complete visual timeline

Sapphireth

I just created a massive timeline for the Robert's rebellion period as it has always confused me.

You can take a look at: https://app.plotist.com/#timelines/562556dd50e3850300c5b353

One thing I couldn't quite pinpoint was when Robert declares his intention to take the throne. I marked it down as taking place after the wedding in Riverrun and just before the battle of the Trident, but it was possibly earlier than that, just after he, Ned and Jon declared themselves as rebels against the Throne? Does anyone have a good source for this?

I just created a massive timeline for the Robert's rebellion period as it has always confused me.

You can take a look at: https://app.plotist.com/#timelines/562556dd50e3850300c5b353

One thing I couldn't quite pinpoint was when Robert declares his intention to take the throne. I marked it down as taking place after the wedding in Riverrun and just before the battle of the Trident, but it was possibly earlier than that, just after he, Ned and Jon declared themselves as rebels against the Throne? Does anyone have a good source for this?

Robert proclaimed his intention to take the throne ... around the time of the Trident. Would not elaborate any further. Mentioned Robert's claim being stronger than Eddard Stark's and Jon Arryn's, the leaders of the two other great houses that spearheaded the revolution, due to blood ties to the Targaryen's. (SSM November 19, 2005)

The period between the wedding and the Trident is many months long and the declaration is around the time of the Trident, not near the wedding.

Note this is important in understanding that it was not originally the aim of the rebels to put Robert on the Iron Throne, but rather that evolved as the events of the rebellion unfolded. 

Per the world book, Ashford took place after the wedding at Riverrun and before the Trident. This makes some sense considering we need at least nine months between the wedding and the sack of KL in order to have Robb be slightly older than Jon, so it would seem incongruous for Ned and Robb to march from RR only to sit around at the Trident for months waiting for Rhaegar to assemble his army.

After the wedding, N&R apparently marched south and met the Tyrell army at Ashford to prevent them from invading the Stormlands and taking Storms End. When they failed, they retreated north to the Trident.

Of course, if there really was nine months between RR and the sack, and the entire rebellion lasted "nearly a year" as Ned says, then that gives Ned less than three months to escape overland from the Vale, make his way north, rally his banners, march an army south to Stoney Sept, then north again to RR. Quite a feat.

So the whole RR timeline is wonky IMO. Either Ned's recollections are wrong, or Jon and Robb were not born when they were supposed to be.

Per the world book, Ashford took place after the wedding at Riverrun and before the Trident.

Do you have a quote? This is wrong. Ashford takes place before the Battle of the Bells, which takes place before the wedding in Riverrun.

Ahh ... I see the section, but if I'm remembering correctly Robert is recovering from a wound from Ashford when the Battle of the Bells takes place. I'll look for a quote about that.

I think it just says he was wounded from one of the many unnamed skirmishes and battles that occurred in the Riverlands. So unless there is some reason why everything else in the RR section -- if not the entire history of Westeros -- is in chronological order except for this, it appears that Ashford happened between the wedding and the Trident. But the wording is not exactly crystal clear.

Archived