Video Games Thread: For the Love of Zeus, Give Me One!

Jace, Extat

Tomb Raider was good (haven't beaten it), Fallout was Fallout, and... yeah. Now I need Rainbow 6: Siege to give me a shooter I can actually bear to play, because so far the pickings have been thoroughly mediocre. Good news is that the intro video was pretty cool, but we'll see about the rest...

I played the Rainbow 6 beta and was not very impressed. It felt more like a game I'd end up getting for like $20 bucks in half a years time. But that's just me, and I was never a big fan of the Rainbow 6 series. 

I got Just Cause 3 at launch and it is amazing. The world feels humongous. I'm only a few hours in, but am very happy with my purchase. Something minor I've really enjoyed is after selecting continue game from the title screen, a new screen will come up saying resume, options, ect. And the scene in the background is actually as if you had just paused the game. Because once you hit resume their is no loading, and you immediately can start playing. I hope that all made sense. It reminded me of something Destiny promised when it was still developing. The idea that the background in the start up menu is actually the game waiting to be unpaused. 

Finally got around to starting XCOM Enemy Within. I played Enemy Unkown this summer. So is Enemy Within just a replay of the main story but with added features and more villains? They call it an expansion, so I expected to maybe start where I left off and get into a new story.

Finally got around to starting XCOM Enemy Within. I played Enemy Unkown this summer. So is Enemy Within just a replay of the main story but with added features and more villains? They call it an expansion, so I expected to maybe start where I left off and get into a new story.

Yeah, you have to start over. There's lot of new maps that add some variety to the random missions. And of course there are new story missions that trigger at certain points. One of them is pretty different and can leave players in a tight spot if they're not prepared, but I'll leave it at that. 

Tomb Raider was good (haven't beaten it), Fallout was Fallout, and... yeah. Now I need Rainbow 6: Siege to give me a shooter I can actually bear to play, because so far the pickings have been thoroughly mediocre. Good news is that the intro video was pretty cool, but we'll see about the rest...

Once you find the right class for your gameplay, it's a lot of fun if you're a fan of the rainbow six series style of play of course.

I find myself losing interest in Fallout. I love the game cause I know what I'm getting, but what I'm getting is the same thing I've always gotten. Hmmm.... make sense? Har, well I guess it's the same ole fetch quest, wipe out raider camp, etc. I was very excited before it came out but that was because the last title in the series came out 5 years ago. I'm at level 30 now and losing motivation. I'll finish, surely, but not at the enthusiastic over-zealous pace I used to finish at.

Jumped on Rocket League with my friends yesterday for the first time in months. Had a blast. What a great game to sit down and have some beers with. Hard to imagine that I got it for free off the store. 

Same here. I felt pretty cheated. 

Just Started The Witcher 3 after getting it for half price off PSN as a Video Game Awards special. So, not too far in but I can't say I'm totally impressed. Basic movement is less fluid than Dragon Age Inquisition, I'm still getting the hang of combat so I won't comment on that just yet. The need to do side missions in order to get experience, crafting materials and money seems to significantly detract from the apparent urgency of the main plot at this early stage. I've jumped straight in to playing it on 2nd highest difficulty, so without having played a proper action RPG in a while I've died a couple of times, which is fine. I dunno about gravelly voiced Geralt. It sounds suitably badass of course, but having to listen to that voice through the whole game is going to get get annoying, I predict.

I think I'm going to quite enjoy playing a bit of gwent.

So, has anyone caught up on Paragon? The TPS MOBA being made by Epic. It looks pretty good, I've signed up for the Beta, which means I might get Steam early access in autumn (Southern Hemisphere) next year, or I may just get into the open beta in winter. I'm more interested in playing Paragon on PS4, that way I have  MOBA for my console and a MOBA for my PC (Smite). I hope Paragon isn't pay to win, I'll be put off by that. It's one of the reasons I really like Smite, there's no pay to win, especially as the starter gods you get if you don't buy the game are all pretty decent mid to top tier gods.

I've explored most of Central Yharnam in Bloodborne I think. I took a couple stabs at the Cleric Beast and he rocked me pretty hard, but I do think I'm getting the hang of the combat. I haven't updated my weapon at all because I'm scared to use the upgrade stones, haha. I fought father gasgoine once and got him down below half health, so that was encouraging. 

In other brand-new-ps4 news, I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying Drive Club. I'm kind of a casual racing fan; I normally enjoy games more like Wipeout. I know Jeff Gerstmann didn't like Drive Club because it didn't bite hard on sim or arcade elements, but I think it strikes a reasonable balance. I was doing ok until I got to the Ferrari courses, and learned that thats a far more difficult car. Anyway, I only have the PS Plus version, and I'm strongly considering the $15 upgrade.

Grrr! Damn you all to HELL, Total War!!!

I saw the 'Age of Charlemagne' expansion and thought it was already out the other day so I've been playing Attila, Rome II, and Empire over the past week because I can't get the series out of my life. Meanwhile, Tomb Raider remains incomplete, I'm only like level 27 in Fallout, and I want to play Rainbow 6 but I'm too busy playing Total War. 

It's a disease, but right now I'm busy trying to turn Prussia into an international power in Empire, which is a huge pain in the ass when continental powers keep declaring war on me. I made the mistake of targeting Northern America first, which was a disaster because the only things France and England left behind were absolute dumpster-fires of colonies so now I've moved on to the Caribbean Pirate bases and am going to go carve out a chunk of India.

I've explored most of Central Yharnam in Bloodborne I think. I took a couple stabs at the Cleric Beast and he rocked me pretty hard, but I do think I'm getting the hang of the combat. I haven't updated my weapon at all because I'm scared to use the upgrade stones, haha. I fought father gasgoine once and got him down below half health, so that was encouraging. 

In other brand-new-ps4 news, I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying Drive Club. I'm kind of a casual racing fan; I normally enjoy games more like Wipeout. I know Jeff Gerstmann didn't like Drive Club because it didn't bite hard on sim or arcade elements, but I think it strikes a reasonable balance. I was doing ok until I got to the Ferrari courses, and learned that thats a far more difficult car. Anyway, I only have the PS Plus version, and I'm strongly considering the $15 upgrade.

I want to play Bloodborne pretty badly but I just don't think I can justify buying a PS4 for it :(

Grrr! Damn you all to HELL, Total War!!!

I saw the 'Age of Charlemagne' expansion and thought it was already out the other day so I've been playing Attila, Rome II, and Empire over the past week because I can't get the series out of my life.

I am cautiously excited for Age of Charlemage. Cautiously, because they say that they added a bunch of features, but so far I have seen nothing of these features. I want some strong cavalry dammit. The advances in cavalry warfare in that period is what gave birth to the age of chivalry. And I have to say, I'm kinda disheartened that they made this DLC. I would have preferred to see this age in a Medieval III. But, at least with this DLC they're also adding another free faction to the Grand Campaign, the White Huns who will screw with the Sassanids. So I think it's high time I get back into Attila.

Also, I'm liking what I see so far of TW: Warhammer.

I want to play Bloodborne pretty badly but I just don't think I can justify buying a PS4 for it :(

Yeah, it's still tough to justify a console if you have a well specced PC. At this point you're only a couple months away from Dark Souls 3 anyway. The faster paced combat is a lot of fun though, and the art direction is really neat.

I was able to raise most of the money for my PS4 by selling my PS3, 3DS, and associated games.

This is a great idea, just sell the shit you`re no longer necessarily fond of.

Yep. I was a little sad to sell the 3ds, but it was mostly useful when I had a longer train ride. I hadn't touched it in a couple months. I got like 90 bucks for it. Plus those Nintendo games can hold serious value. I got 30ish for each of Majora's Mask and Fire Emblem. I also got a black friday deal on the PS4; I'm currently waiting on someone on ebay to buy the copy of the Uncharted Collection that came with it, haha.

Did you play R6: Siege yet? I've heard it's entirely multiplayer and while that's fine for me since I'd only really play multiplayer, it does feel like $60 is ridiculously expensive for a game with so little content. I do want it since R6 was my jam 15 years ago and I love shooters that rely on teamwork/no respawn but feels like it's so much money for so little.

Archived