Video Games Thread: For the Love of Zeus, Give Me One!

Jace, Extat

I bought Civilization V and all the dlc's at the Sale. I've never actually played a Civ game before so I'm curious to see what I have gotten myself into.

Be prepared have way longer play sessions then you previously had planed.

The only bad thing about Civ5 is it's endgame. There really isn't that much flavor to it.Thus every time I launched Civ5 I just started a new game as the early stages are the most fun.

Congrats you bought one of the ten best games ever made. 

Well say good-bye to your social life.

The Civ series is not my favorite, though it's in my top 10, but I've found them to be incredibly addicting. It's so hard to stop playing your turns. In Civ IV, when you try to quit, the option to keep playing even says "just one more turn..."

The only bad thing about Civ5 is it's endgame. There really isn't that much flavor to it.Thus every time I launched Civ5 I just started a new game as the early stages are the most fun.

Well, that sounds absolutely great! :D

I tend to do the same thing. After you start meeting then passing WWII tech, it starts to get stale.

Please, do share your experience with this when you get around to play it. I've toyed with the idea to buy it every time it was on sale, but the MMO part of it is holding me back. I never played MMOs before, but if the TES part of it overshadows it enough, I'll buy it.

I'm actually really enjoying this. It's definitely an MMO, but it's the least MMO-ey one I've ever played. Quests are often extended chains of things you might actually care about doing, instead of "bring me six bear asses." It's not as deep as a normal Elder Scrolls game, but there's a lot here. Give it a go, it's like $30 for the fancy edition where you get a horse (which is nice to have, horses are expensive). For reference, I've put in 16 1/2 hours on one character so far, and several more on another.

I'm actually really enjoying this. It's definitely an MMO, but it's the least MMO-ey one I've ever played. Quests are often extended chains of things you might actually care about doing, instead of "bring me six bear asses." It's not as deep as a normal Elder Scrolls game, but there's a lot here. Give it a go, it's like $30 for the fancy edition where you get a horse (which is nice to have, horses are expensive). For reference, I've put in 16 1/2 hours on one character so far, and several more on another.

Thanks. I actually bought it last night (just the standard edition), and played a bit. It does have the feel of an Elder Scrolls game, but the MMO is definitely weird to me at this point. At first I was confused as to who all the characters running around Coldharbour were, until I realized they were other players. I am curious how the game works - one moment I'm running around with other players doing the same, and the next I am completely alone. And I think all the lootable items (chests, corpses) are available to each player, right? It's not a first come first served deal, otherwise I'd probably quit the game.

Thanks. I actually bought it last night (just the standard edition), and played a bit. It does have the feel of an Elder Scrolls game, but the MMO is definitely weird to me at this point. At first I was confused as to who all the characters running around Coldharbour were, until I realized they were other players. I am curious how the game works - one moment I'm running around with other players doing the same, and the next I am completely alone. And I think all the lootable items (chests, corpses) are available to each player, right? It's not a first come first served deal, otherwise I'd probably quit the game.

So there are a variety of ways MMOs deal with these issues. ESO is actually very good about them. Corpses have a chance to have loot for you if you were involved in fighting them. If you are involved in fighting something for a quest, you'll get credit when it dies. If something isn't there, it should respawn in a minute or two.

As for being alone vs in a group, some areas are instanced, which means everyone gets their own little area to be in without other people/groups. Other areas are phased, so they appear differently to people on different stages of a quest, and you can only interact with people in your phase.

Picked up Hyperdimension Neptunia U Action Unleashed on the PSN sale.  Pretty decent Dynasty Warriors style game.  Not huge on content, so I doubt I'd have been satisfied at full price.  But for $10 I have no complaints.

Also been enjoying Star Wars Battlefront.  Which is quite a surprise since I'm not a huge SW fan, nor did I like the one Battlefield game I played previously.  I guess after a year of Destiny my opinion of fps's has changed.  And Battlefront is far better than Destiny's Crucible.

Also been enjoying Star Wars Battlefront.  Which is quite a surprise since I'm not a huge SW fan, nor did I like the one Battlefield game I played previously.  I guess after a year of Destiny my opinion of fps's has changed.  And Battlefront is far better than Destiny's Crucible.

Play it for another 3.5 hours and if you still like Battlefront, you're legally braindead.

Gone deep on Dark Souls. I somehow killed that giant dragon ribcage thing in the Depths on my first try, which I'm positive isn't something I ever even saw when I was playing on the 360. So I guess I'm hooked. I'm really hating the next area though (can't stand game environments where I can't see what's going on), so we'll see if it lasts. If it does, I'll probably pick up the Dark Souls II package too before the Steam sale ends.

I'm not sure if there's anything else I'll get though. There's still a bunch of games I want, like Rebel Galaxy and Cradle, but none of them are more than 25% off. I've bought enough games recently that I should probably just try and play those some more rather than getting even more if there isn't even a great deal.

Gone deep on Dark Souls. I somehow killed that giant dragon ribcage thing in the Depths on my first try, which I'm positive isn't something I ever even saw when I was playing on the 360. So I guess I'm hooked. I'm really hating the next area though (can't stand game environments where I can't see what's going on), so we'll see if it lasts. If it does, I'll probably pick up the Dark Souls II package too before the Steam sale ends.

What zone is it? Blighttown? You can cause yourself a world of trouble by going somewhere too soon. I did the catacombs waaay too early.

Anyway, games I'm considering buying on sale but probably won't: Nidhogg in the PSN sale for $4.5, Pillars of Eternity for $17 on Steam, and Zigurat for $5 on Steam.

I feel like this is the case with all 4X strategy games.  Early game is fun because there is the excitement of finding interesting places to colonize and there are so many things you want to build.  Late game gets bogged down in unit management and the grind towards victory conditions.  What I would really like is something like the space stage in Spore except with much more depth.

Yep, I'm enjoying it a lot too. I think the fact that I'm playing with a ps4 pad makes it a super casual experience for me. I'm not sure I'll ever get the hang of FPS aiming with a gamepad instead of a mouse. I can't seem to control the ships to save my life. The game is a fun though, and sure is a looker.

BioWare has been on the decline since EA bought them, and I don't see any end to that in sight.  This is what EA does.  They buy great studios and slowly run them into the ground.  They've been doing it for over a decade now.

What zone is it? Blighttown? You can cause yourself a world of trouble by going somewhere too soon. I did the catacombs waaay too early.

The bridges above Blighttown. I'm fine with swinging bridges, blowdart enemies, and everything else, but I really hate not being able to properly see what's happening. On the plus side, I did make it to the next bonfire, and I think I'm going to at the swamp itself soon. Fortunately, I got the rusted iron ring. Also, after my first unsuccessful foray to those bridges, I spent about 5 hours just grinding out souls (and killing that big butterfly in the Forest) so I could boost my faith enough to get Lightning Spear. I know that's not really the way you're supposed to play the game, but all that repetition drastically improved my timing on everything.

Mass Effect: Andromeda director Chris Wynn is leaving BioWare.

Don't see how this can be good for my hopes for this game... :unsure:

That's... not a good sign. My big fear is that he was being pushed to make the game even more open-world and Bethesda-y than DA:I was and he didn't want that. On the other hand, his big mark before this was with Gears of War; so maybe he was focusing too much on the combat and the story was suffering. In which case this could maybe improve things.

I'm not hopeful though.

The bridges above Blighttown. I'm fine with swinging bridges, blowdart enemies, and everything else, but I really hate not being able to properly see what's happening. On the plus side, I did make it to the next bonfire, and I think I'm going to at the swamp itself soon. Fortunately, I got the rusted iron ring. 

Ah yeah, sounds like you're doing fine. I did not have the rusted iron ring when I did that zone, so you're a step ahead of me. Part of the reason people hate blighttown so much is that they played it on console with a bad framerate, haha. So I hope you're on PC like I was. The blowdart enemies are really tricky, but there's only a few of them.

Anyway, I just killed Vicar Amelia in Bloodborne. I know I'm still not very far in, but I think the bosses are the most intense Souls experience I've had yet. It seems like every time I kill one, it leaves me breathing heavily and trembling a little. 

Archived