Video Games Thread: For the Love of Zeus, Give Me One!

Jace, Extat

Played around 4 hours of MGS5. I had to connect to the internet the first time I turned on the game, but I turned on the new firewall rule I made before the game even got the main menu and have been offline since (and haven't had to connect when I've turned on the game since); so I think that worked out.

Anyway, not sure why people said the game doesn't have much story (unless that changes later), I'd say the game has way too much story; and I don't understand any of it. I guess that's understandable, considering the last game in the series I played was 17 years ago, but I kinda would've thought there'd be some easing-in the way other series do. No cutscenes or dialog are necessary, just some text accessible somewhere in the main menu summarizing the series timeline or something would be a huge help. Before starting, I didn't even realize this was some sort of prequel to the first MGS, and from how much they've been talking about '9 years ago' in the cassettes, I assume one of the previous games took place even further in the past. 

But that's not too important. I'm not really here for the story. I'm here to tranq, shoot, or punch-out every last person and animal I see and fulton all the ones still alive when they aren't moving anymore. And on that level the game is aces so far.

I guess that's understandable, considering the last game in the series I played was 17 years ago

This here is the exact reason, they really started going overboard with it AFTER MGS1. Though I still maintain that Snake Eater had the best story.

This here is the exact reason, they really started going overboard with it AFTER MGS1. Though I still maintain that Snake Eater had the best story.

I think the biggest issue I'm having is that the same names get reused so much, and without explanation (at least here), that its really hard to keep track of things. There seems to be at least a half dozen guys with 'Snake' in their name, at least three organizations with 'Fox' in their name (plus something called XOF), a 'Boss' and a 'Big Boss,' etc. 

I know the series is infamous for having a super over-complicated plot, and that's fine. The only two things that I really wish were explained were what's the background story behind the supernatural stuff and how do I have modern/futuristic technology in 1984? But its really not too important. What is important is figuring out how I can get more music cassette tapes. I've got like 30 plot ones, which I've listened to, but only 12 music tracks; almost all of which are instrumental. 

MGS5 TPP is the sequel to MGS5 GZ, which itself is a sequel to MGS Peace Walker, which itself is a sequel to MGS3. And all those are prequels to the main series MG1-MG2-MGS-MGS2-MGS4.

So, yeah, you pretty much loose a lot. The character you play is Big Boss, aka Naked Snake in MGS3. The character you know from MGS1 is Solid Snake, revealed to be his clone in MGS1.

Big Boss is the main antagonist in MG1 and MG2. But in the prequels, he's the protagonist.

I bought Civilization V and all the dlc's at the Sale. I've never actually played a Civ game before so I'm curious to see what I have gotten myself into.

I decided that Steam sale time was a good time to come back into PC gaming, and of all the games I picked up I have almost only played Civ V. Just completed my first full game with a Science Victory last night. 

The other game I've completed so far was Her Story which was definitely an interesting and different game that really shouldn't be spoiled. Only took about an hour or so to play.

HUGE spoilers for Her Story only for those who have completed the game below:

I was a bit frustrated that I couldn't be sure if it was only one crazy person or actual twins and thought I might be missing something. I thought the bruise/tattoo meant actual twins, but that would mean Eve killed Hannah? The 'Hannah is gone' video and the 'Do you now understand why your mother did what she did' seem to imply that since Sarah is Eve's child and Hannah killed Simon. Would love to hear other people's opinions.

If I can stay away from Civ for a few days, Undertale is next. I've heard so many good things about it I am afraid my expectations are too high.

Blockade running for the Merchant's Guild in Rebel Galaxy is fun as hell.  Right now I've got an Icarus tricked out with MkIII defenses and engines, and I basically scream into a system, drop out of warp, and throw on my null-g boosters for long enough that even if I get hit with EMP mines I'm blowing past any defenses, snagging the dead drop, and hauling ass out of there while some sweet space trucker rock starts blaring over the soundsystem.  I've got my eyes on a Barracuda next, because a light frigate that's faster than a corvette just sounds unfair. 

The only thing the game needs is some more ballistic weaponry and I'd be in love.  Simple, fun, pretty intuitive, and easy to drop into for short periods if you need to.  

Actually doing something different with the gameplay will be much more important to me than reducing the frequency. If it's the exact same game every two years rather than the exact same game every year I'm still not gonna care personally. 

I'm not getting my hopes up. Ubisoft doesn't like change. 

Apparently the Assassin's Creed series is hopping back in time, with the next game apparently taking place in ancient Egypt (with following games going for Greece and Rome).

They are also stepping away from the 1 game a every year approach.

I am really sceptical about it because it is Ubisoft we're talking about, but if that is true, sign me up. One more year will give them the time to flesh everything out better, and I find the ancient settings much more fascinating to see realized than the newer ones.

Speaking of which, I really should give Syndicate a try at some point.

Actually doing something different with the gameplay will be much more important to me than reducing the frequency. If it's the exact same game every two years rather than the exact same game every year I'm still not gonna care personally. 

I'm not getting my hopes up. Ubisoft doesn't like change. 

But the have updated the gameplay... to make it more like Batman.  So...  whoo?  :rolleyes:

Alright, just sent Fallout 4 back, thank you 30day warranty. Lucky for me Street Fighter V will be here soon.

Excited about SFV also.

But curious why you were eager to return FO4?  I've not dipped my toes in that ocean yet, but its all I hear any gamer I encounter talking about these days.

Excited about SFV also.

But curious why you were eager to return FO4?  I've not dipped my toes in that ocean yet, but its all I hear any gamer I encounter talking about these days.

The game is actually getting mountains of criticism, about its characters (and especially the main) being bland, the RPG elements horribly stripped down, the glitches, finding your companions being a pain in the ass, combat having issues and the writing really, really blows.

Exhibit A

Compare the professional reviews to the user ones.

If somebody else enjoys it, by all means do, more power to you. I was bored to tears.

In terms of story and dialogue FO4 is meh, but I do think the new perk system is definitely more interesting than the old skill point system. Most of what the old skills did was rolled into the perk system anyways. There is a problem where you eventually get too overpowered.  I think open world games are more fun when damage and health don't scale so much over the course of the game and consumables are less common.  

Where FO4 and Skryim really excel is exploration.  Just getting immersed into the environments, getting into trouble and finding rare items.  I don't really care for the scripted quest sequences but I do enjoy the background stories for the different locations.  There aren't a whole lot of good exploration focused games out there so I greatly appreciate these games despite their flaws.

The game is actually getting mountains of criticism, about its characters (and especially the main) being bland, the RPG elements horribly stripped down, the glitches, finding your companions being a pain in the ass, combat having issues and the writing really, really blows.

Exhibit A

If somebody else enjoys it, by all means do, more power to you. I was bored to tears.

Yeah, I love the game but for the free roaming and messing around, definitely not for the writing/characters (except Dogmeat). The glitches are part of the charm though... (ETA: Well, the funny ones, at least. I'm having problems with the stats glitching on some of my settlements and it's really making it a pain getting the 100% happiness trophy.)

I see Witcher 3 getting a lot more love as 'game of the year', so I guess I'll have to give that a go one of these days.

Hm. "Bad characters" is not a criticism I'd level at Fallout 4. The game is flawed, certainly, but I definitely think it has better characters than Fallout 3 and Skyrim.

I definitely think the lack of RPG elements is the biggest issue. The Elder Scrolls can get away with this to a greater degree because of the fantasy setting retaining my interest for longer than the post apocalyptic one. It just makes me miss New Vegas and pine for a successor to that game. I like the game a lot (still haven't bothered to finish the main quest though), but I may have to rank it lower than Fallout 3 at this rate.

Exhibit A

I second this. It's been sitting on top of my Xbox since about a week after it came out.

Fallout 4 was great up until around level 20 when my character was so powerful and had so much money i never ran out of bullets (had at least 1000 of each gun i had) or even feared for my life (had 120 of those stimpaks + the metal armor upgraded).

Then it became boring and i stopped playing it. lol 

Archived