Video Games Thread: For the Love of Zeus, Give Me One!

Jace, Extat

I haven't watched Smite so not sure exactly, but from what you are describing I would say that Dota2 is a bit better than it but still not nearly professional enough.  SC2 is for the most part pretty good and where things should be. I remember reading one of the managers/coach of a few teams is a woman who was getting sexually harassed by players from another team, the company did eventually step in on that one but that's a fucking joke and it says something they thought it would be OK in the first place.  In Dota2 there are a few players that are pretty BM and just arrogant fuckwads that are really contemptuous towards other teams and I don't feel it even makes them compelling 'villains' of the scene so to speak, it just makes them assholes.  Some of the casters are decidedly worse than the players though and it's really not good enough given the prize money The International is posting these days.

Sledging each other can be done well, and it can be done very very poorly.

Ended up frustrated with the new enemy placement in the SOTFS edition of Dark Souls II and went back to Dark Souls. I cleared the Painted World, which I forgot about before, although I skipped the final boss (she did politely ask me to leave and there didn't seem like a good lore reason to kill her). Also killed Havel for his ring. Next up I guess will be trying the Tomb of Giants again.

I'm hoping to finish it and MGSV (which I haven't been keeping up on as much) before XCOM 2 comes out; because that is totally going to take over my gaming time for at least a few weeks after it comes out.

Ended up frustrated with the new enemy placement in the SOTFS edition of Dark Souls II and went back to Dark Souls.

I've been playing through this as well.  Which areas are you not satisfied with?

I haven't noticed anything too bad.  Aside from the Guardian Dragon at Heide's, it seems like there is less cheap enemy placement.  I'm at the point where I've lit the 4 primal bonfires and need to go to Drangleic Castle.  Decided to split off and do the dlc areas.  For the first time.  There is some cheap shit happening in there.  But the base game seems better.

I've been playing through this as well.  Which areas are you not satisfied with?

I haven't noticed anything too bad.  Aside from the Guardian Dragon at Heide's, it seems like there is less cheap enemy placement.  I'm at the point where I've lit the 4 primal bonfires and need to go to Drangleic Castle.  Decided to split off and do the dlc areas.  For the first time.  There is some cheap shit happening in there.  But the base game seems better.

I don't love all the Heide knights in Heide being automatically hostile and having a map-wide aggro radius after killing the dragonrider. The extra Pursuer locations in Lost Bastille are annoying, although only an issue a few times. The respawning Flexile Sentry in Sinner's Rise is really cheap and makes repeated runs to the Lost Sinner take way too long. And Iron Keep is a mess with all the extra enemies there now.

I didn't mind too much the extra enemies in the Forest, No Man's Wharf or Earthen Peak. I can't speak to later areas, since that's as far as I got. However, if Dark Souls 3 keeps going down this path, relying on swarms of enemies for its difficulty instead of well-designed encounters, I'm likely to say away from it.

I also really dislike the regular NPC invasions that now occur and all the extra petrified statues. There's more branches than before, but from what I've seen not enough to cover all the new places for them.

I don't love all the Heide knights in Heide being automatically hostile and having a map-wide aggro radius after killing the dragonrider. The extra Pursuer locations in Lost Bastille are annoying, although only an issue a few times. The respawning Flexile Sentry in Sinner's Rise is really cheap and makes repeated runs to the Lost Sinner take way too long. And Iron Keep is a mess with all the extra enemies there now.

I didn't mind too much the extra enemies in the Forest, No Man's Wharf or Earthen Peak. I can't speak to later areas, since that's as far as I got. However, if Dark Souls 3 keeps going down this path, relying on swarms of enemies for its difficulty instead of well-designed encounters, I'm likely to say away from it.

I also really dislike the regular NPC invasions that now occur and all the extra petrified statues. There's more branches than before, but from what I've seen not enough to cover all the new places for them.

Well they wanted to make getting the Blue covenant an achievement instead of just a joke.  Hence why the Heide knights go on patrol after killing Dragonrider.  It is optional after all.  Not sure why you thought the pursuer spots are annoying, there is only one with enemies around and those you can kill with ranged attacks prior to him spawning.  As for the Flexile Sentry..... I'm not sure how that is worse than 2 of the big gargantuan undead that hit like trucks which were there previously. Also they took out some of the exploding guys there too.

The forest actually lost a number of enemies and they took out the one big numbers ambush at the top of the ladder.  The placements are more like the earlier games now as while you are fighting one there usually is a crossbowman shooting at you which is straight out of Demons/Dark Souls 1.  They added new guys in Iron keep? I don't recall those.

There are enough Branches to cover the statues it just takes awhile to get them.  Those statues generally hide estus flask shards in SOFTS.

Dark Souls 3 is built off the Bloodborne engine and if you don't like swarms I doubt you will like BB or DS3.

Well they wanted to make getting the Blue covenant an achievement instead of just a joke.  Hence why the Heide knights go on patrol after killing Dragonrider.  It is optional after all.  Not sure why you thought the pursuer spots are annoying, there is only one with enemies around and those you can kill with ranged attacks prior to him spawning.  As for the Flexile Sentry..... I'm not sure how that is worse than 2 of the big gargantuan undead that hit like trucks which were there previously. Also they took out some of the exploding guys there too.

The forest actually lost a number of enemies and they took out the one big numbers ambush at the top of the ladder.  The placements are more like the earlier games now as while you are fighting one there usually is a crossbowman shooting at you which is straight out of Demons/Dark Souls 1.  They added new guys in Iron keep? I don't recall those.

There are enough Branches to cover the statues it just takes awhile to get them.  Those statues generally hide estus flask shards in SOFTS.

Dark Souls 3 is built off the Bloodborne engine and if you don't like swarms I doubt you will like BB or DS3.

I don't mind making the Blue covenant hard to get to. Although if that was the goal, they should've just made the dragon harder to kill instead. I got it on my second try.

The pursuer in the courtyard before McDuff's is annoying because it requires you to have a ranged attack or to run past enemies quickly and get out of there. If you want to fight and are melee only, like me, you're basically out of luck.

The Flexile sentry just takes too long to kill to be a respawning part of the only path to a required boss. The big undead down there before did too, but if you wanted you could easily cheese them by getting them to fall down the elevator hole. I never had any trouble with the exploding enemies.

Did the forest lose enemies? There's not that heide knight anymore, but I thought that ambush in the circular area past the river had a lot more in it. Doesn't matter though. Like I said, I didn't have any problem with the area.

There's a bunch more alonne knights before the smelter demon. And if you're not incredibly careful about kiting they all swarm you.

I checked the wiki page and you're right, there are exactly the number of branches that there are statues. It was still frustrating though using one to unlock the path to the ruin sentinels only to discover later that that fight is now optional because the elevator in the other side of lost bastille starts on the lower level now so you can just go directly to Sinner's Rise.

I haven't played Bloodborne, but yeah, if that's the case I think I'll be skipping DS3. I vastly prefer fewer, tougher enemies to swarms of weaker ones. If I want swarms, I play Dynasty Warriors.

Amazon Prime users to get 20% off the purchase of new games.

Not gonna lie, that could actually push me over the edge I've been teetering on as to whether its worth it or not.

If you're a fan of dvd' and blu rays also, it's definitely worth getting. Always sales on those two things, building quite a nice collection due to amazon prime. 

I checked the wiki page and you're right, there are exactly the number of branches that there are statues. It was still frustrating though using one to unlock the path to the ruin sentinels only to discover later that that fight is now optional because the elevator in the other side of lost bastille starts on the lower level now so you can just go directly to Sinner's Rise.

I haven't played Bloodborne, but yeah, if that's the case I think I'll be skipping DS3. I vastly prefer fewer, tougher enemies to swarms of weaker ones. If I want swarms, I play Dynasty Warriors.

To be fair the Ruin Sentinels fight was always optional.

I'm curious as to what really are your idea of swarms because the few situations I consider to be all have equivalents in either Demon's Souls or Dark Souls 1.  Usually you will get three or four if you just bull rush through stuff and don't play careful; but except for a few situations I don't find there is ones where you can't split them apart and fight them piecemeal.

So for my gaming, I stopped Dark Souls. I was in the Tomb of the Giants and I'd beaten O&S and Four Kings, so I don't think there was that much more of the game left; just the other 3 lord souls and Gwyn (although I hadn't made any progress towards Seath or the Witch yet). But I wasn't having fun anymore. Everything post-Anor Londo just felt anti-climatic and there more to pad the game out than anything else. Also I thought the game really lost something once the areas weren't all so interconnected anymore; I just didn't notice at first because Sen's Fortress and Anor Londo were so good on their own.

I'm still progressing on MGSV a bit, but I've also started... Dark Souls II: SotFS edition. Last go round I played a lot more of original Dark Souls II, though I never beat it, than of Dark Souls, and I liked it a lot more. I now have a much better sense of the first game, but I still like the second game more. Again, I miss the interconnected areas; but I think each separate area is more interestingly designed (and filled with their own intra-shortcuts) than the first game's areas. I also like some of the unique mechanics a bit more; like being able to brute force areas if I have to by eventually being able to end respawns. Plus the music is better and the graphics in the SotFS are incredible compared to the first game.

Also, I really like Majula. Once you get enough NPCs there, it almost feels like a real town, and I really like being able to have downtime every once and while in games, running around town on shopping sprees and seeing if anyone has anything new to say. It helps with the pacing and lets the game breathe more, imo.

That's around where I stopped too. I had The dragon and Manus left from the DLC and then Gwyn and I just didn't feel like it anymore. It wasn't fun or exciting and the way boss runs work in that game was grating on me so I just said fuck it and moved on.

I haven't watched Smite so not sure exactly, but from what you are describing I would say that Dota2 is a bit better than it but still not nearly professional enough.  SC2 is for the most part pretty good and where things should be. I remember reading one of the managers/coach of a few teams is a woman who was getting sexually harassed by players from another team, the company did eventually step in on that one but that's a fucking joke and it says something they thought it would be OK in the first place.  In Dota2 there are a few players that are pretty BM and just arrogant fuckwads that are really contemptuous towards other teams and I don't feel it even makes them compelling 'villains' of the scene so to speak, it just makes them assholes.  Some of the casters are decidedly worse than the players though and it's really not good enough given the prize money The International is posting these days.

Sledging each other can be done well, and it can be done very very poorly.

All Blizzard's games that I've seen are very professional in that sense. HOTS, SC2, what I've seen of HS. No shit-talking or bad sportsmanship at least on air. I suspect Blizzard takes that kind of shit very seriously.

It definitely varies between games and genres and the like. Fighting games, as far as I've ever seen, are fucking horrible for the shit people say about each other that seems to pass as normal on the professional scene.

All Blizzard's games that I've seen are very professional in that sense. HOTS, SC2, what I've seen of HS. No shit-talking or bad sportsmanship at least on air. I suspect Blizzard takes that kind of shit very seriously.

It definitely varies between games and genres and the like. Fighting games, as far as I've ever seen, are fucking horrible for the shit people say about each other that seems to pass as normal on the professional scene.

I've only watched a little hots but I would say the casters seemed a little unprofessional, but not in the offensive way. More "these guys/girls are amateurs that haven't been doing this long enough and are too clearly favoring one side over the other". Not that dota2 doesn't have the latter as well, everyone loves EG (who I hate) so I notice it there.

I don't mind casters who need to work on their technique and style. You gotta go with what you've got in that regard. What's important is professionalism in terms of having respect for players and teams, even with your own personal bias, and other casters, knowing where the line is for when banter becomes BM'ing / trash talking and making sure not to cross it, and excellent game knowledge.

It was fun watching one of the pros on Twitch last night who missed out on worlds and joined the commentary team. He talked quite a bit about his experience as a caster. He was one of the best on the casting / analyst team for the Smite World Champs. Eventually as some of the pros retire, hopefully they become the lead casters and analysts which should actually improve the quality of competition commentary a lot.

I've only watched a little hots but I would say the casters seemed a little unprofessional, but not in the offensive way. More "these guys/girls are amateurs that haven't been doing this long enough and are too clearly favoring one side over the other". Not that dota2 doesn't have the latter as well, everyone loves EG (who I hate) so I notice it there.

As far as casters go for SC2, there are several professional casters who've been doing that for a long time(I think RotterdaM has been a caster for 5 years at least) who cast the strongest tournaments/upper brackets of smaller tournaments, while there are is a decent number of semi-professional casters who do the rest of the stuff and also some progamers who were defeated in the lower brackets sometimes cast. While you can probably easily guess their (game)race/player favourites, most casters will do their job as best they can.

(Btw, there is BM'ing in the scene as I said before, but it very rarely goes too far, and nothing recently)

EG = Evil Geniuses? I am also opposed against them but mostly because of their past SC2 rivarly with TeamLiquid, though now they only have HuK in SC2 as a prominent player, while TL has 6 top foreigners and 2 top Koreans. Not much of a rivarly now...

As far as casters go for SC2, there are several professional casters who've been doing that for a long time(I think RotterdaM has been a caster for 5 years at least) who cast the strongest tournaments/upper brackets of smaller tournaments, while there are is a decent number of semi-professional casters who do the rest of the stuff and also some progamers who were defeated in the lower brackets sometimes cast. While you can probably easily guess their (game)race/player favourites, most casters will do their job as best they can.

(Btw, there is BM'ing in the scene as I said before, but it very rarely goes too far, and nothing recently)

EG = Evil Geniuses? I am also opposed against them but mostly because of their past SC2 rivarly with TeamLiquid, though now they only have HuK in SC2 as a prominent player, while TL has 6 top foreigners and 2 top Koreans. Not much of a rivarly now...

Yeah same EG.  The dota2 captain is ppd and he strikes me as being as big an asshole at Idra (who I really hated when I was following the WoL scene).  Idra coincidentally went and played HotS for a while, although not sure if he's still in the EG team there *checks liquipedia* nope, EG are disbanded in HotS!

Tastosis have been doing the professional casting gig since SC2 came out, they were over in Korea with GomTV so they are definitely at the 5 year mark as well.  I don't mind being able to tell who the casters favour as long as they are still balanced in their commentary, but there is a very clear line where it cases to be professional and that really ticks me off.

Archived