Should I quit Facebook?

Neddy's Girl

Sorry - inane question - but I would welcome your opinions.

Basically,  I feel it causes me more misery than joy, in general,  but, I have a business.   I don't really promote much through Facebook,  but occasionally,  I get customers through there.  However, I feel perpetually guilty about not updating my profile,  I wonder if my energies could be better spent on other promotion. 

The problems I have with Facebook are that I'm quite private so don't use it on a personal level and that I find people much nicer in the flesh.  Without wanting to sound like a Snob, 90% of the posts I see vary  from pointless to offensive.

What do you think?  If it weren't for the business,  I'd just linger and never post, but I feel way too guilty not posting to the business page.

Even if it draws in a few customers it is worth it to keep it. Just use it for your business and take off as much  personal info as possible.

This thread brings up a good point. I've notice there tends to be three types of views about FB:

• people who are obsessed over-sharers
  • people who use it and enjoy it
  • people who hate it and make a point of telling everyone how private they are and how much they hate FB

Even if it draws in a few customers it is worth it to keep it. Just use it for your business and take off as much  personal info as possible.

This.  Not sure that is a hard issue?

This thread brings up a good point. I've notice there tends to be three types of views about FB:

• people who hate it and make a point of telling everyone how private they are and how much they hate FB 

I probably fall somewhere between 1&2, but the majority of my friends are not close and I have recently made contact with family I haven't seen in 30+ years--bad divorce of parents--moved across the country (mostly this is a good thing :P ) so I love it. 

I don't have a facebook account; but we do have a spur page off of Ali's for our business - we post things on there a couple of times a year - usually a couple around now with Christmas opening hours and an advert to buy vouchers; and typically once a year for random "other" stuff.

However, we still get contacted through facebook 5-6 times per year; so given that it is free, it is worth it. I have no idea if those people would contact us if we didn't have facebook.

As you're running a business, I will assume that you have some sort of a website, and do some sort of advertising - in which case simply having a facebook page helps with things like google rankings (just by linking to and from the website) and being (another) place to keep basic information - opening hours, charges, location etc.

Personally, it's worth it as a business - and I'd suggest that if it is generating an new clients at all, then it's worth it, given that it's free, and has no particular requirement to be maintained.

As an addition - I'd guess that having facebook is useful for signing into various shops and websites, as many of them have the option of just signing in with your facebook account - meaning fewer passwords to remember.

I'd be group 4. people who don't hate it, don't use it, and don't really give a damn - only mention it when it's brought up by other people. Of course, as this group is pretty much silent on the issues of facebook, they don't really count.

i enjoy facebook on the whole...sometimes it is crap but i have met people on facebook that i now consider good friends, some i have even met in person, and others i intend to before dropping dead... ;)

it also gives me a way to keep in touch with my family without actually having to endure them in person.

:smoking:

Ah, I wish I was the middle one - I've tried loads of times but I just can't get into it!

I don't have a facebook account; but we do have a spur page off of Ali's for our business - we post things on there a couple of times a year - usually a couple around now with Christmas opening hours and an advert to buy vouchers; and typically once a year for random "other" stuff.

However, we still get contacted through facebook 5-6 times per year; so given that it is free, it is worth it. I have no idea if those people would contact us if we didn't have facebook.

As you're running a business, I will assume that you have some sort of a website, and do some sort of advertising - in which case simply having a facebook page helps with things like google rankings (just by linking to and from the website) and being (another) place to keep basic information - opening hours, charges, location etc.

Personally, it's worth it as a business - and I'd suggest that if it is generating an new clients at all, then it's worth it, given that it's free, and has no particular requirement to be maintained.

As an addition - I'd guess that having facebook is useful for signing into various shops and websites, as many of them have the option of just signing in with your facebook account - meaning fewer passwords to remember.

I'd be group 4. people who don't hate it, don't use it, and don't really give a damn - only mention it when it's brought up by other people. Of course, as this group is pretty much silent on the issues of facebook, they don't really count.

Thanks for that. Maybe I will just get it looking smart with contact details etc. and update at key promo times (3 - 4 times a year). I can keep notifications on my phone for people who contact. Hopefully, I won't feel pressure to be posting something all the time that way!

I get pressure once a year to do more with the facebook page - invariably when the yellow pages guys come round and try to convince me to do more marketing in general.

If you ignore them, they soon go away... for another year anyway.

I probably fall into this one.

Ah, I wish I was the middle one - I've tried loads of times but I just can't get into it!

I do not think you need to be trying, because there is little to gain ... I mainly use the messaging function as a substitute for email/SMS and do not see much use in posting, especially private stuff. Or even news articels, if somebody wants to know that, they will google it and do not need their FB friends to link it for them.

I like Facebook. I have a page for my blog posts and articles, and my personal profile. I do a lot of promoting on Facebook, as well as Twitter, and I think it's great for what I need it for: keeping in touch with faraway friends, starting discussions, and sharing my work. 

I'm group 4 all the way.  Mrs. PotN has a Facebook account but does very little with it.  The people I want to be in touch with are the same people I've always made an effort to be in touch with and who've made an effort to keep in touch with me so I've never really felt the need for Facebook, etc.

Sorry - inane question - but I would welcome your opinions.

Basically,  I feel it causes me more misery than joy, in general,  but, I have a business.   I don't really promote much through Facebook,  but occasionally,  I get customers through there.  However, I feel perpetually guilty about not updating my profile,  I wonder if my energies could be better spent on other promotion. 

The problems I have with Facebook are that I'm quite private so don't use it on a personal level and that I find people much nicer in the flesh.  Without wanting to sound like a Snob, 90% of the posts I see vary  from pointless to offensive.

What do you think?  If it weren't for the business,  I'd just linger and never post, but I feel way too guilty not posting to the business page.

If you think it has utility for business then there are people who will completely manage your Facebook page for you, for a fee of course (I have a friend who does that, she charges about $500 (NZD) per month and she has several clients). But that fee is a completely legit business expense so you can write it off. I won't create a conflict of interest in my advice by suggesting I put you and her in touch. I'm sure if you want to look into this then some Google searching, or even Facebook searching, will bring up several people who offer such a service.

It's always good to re-evaluate your business promotion strategies, but Facebook is something that a lot of businesses use. So it seems like it can be a useful business promotion tool. I would not write it off for that purpose too quickly just because you're not using it as effectively as you might.

I have never joined or used Facebook, and I see no reason to ever join. I'm on LinkedIn but I barely pay any attention to it.

I quit a few years back.  I don't exactly hate it...but I don't have warm feelings.  I guess I wish it the best, and want it to be happy, but a small part of me hopes it dies alone and sad.

If it brings in money for your business, keep it.  Make yours a business page and ignore the rest.

Or join MySpace.  That's the cool one.

ETA: If you quite the facebook, you get more time to waste lurking/posting here :)

Only reason I use fb these days is because I got a group of my friends who prefer to use fb messanger to communicate, instead of group texting or emailing like decent, God-fearing folk.

So I do that and ignore the rest.

Archived