NFL Season Week 13: Better to live 1 day as a Packer than 100 years as a Lion

Trebla

Nah, there couldn't have been a block in the back because they were all too busy holding. :)

Were I a Lions fan I'd be more upset about those than the facemask which, while dubious and ultimately incorrect, you can at least see where the honest mistake was made.

On the untimed play they just put their hankies in the hamper as they were obviously done using them. :)

Brilliant title.

Thankee. :)

Post-game interview revealed that the Lions didn't have someone like Calvin Johnson back there on the final play playing center field. Point well-taken that most teams do put out their best jump ball receiver to help out the DB's.

How many fluff pieces do you think we're gonna get about the Packers' 'resiliency' instead of their absolute mediocrity?

Listen, Rodgers is a great player. But I think this year has highlighted that he can't put a team on his fucking back the way a Tom Brady or former Peyton Manning could.

I've heard a lot of people compare him to Joe Montana, (note, I never saw Montana play live. I was born in the eighties), and I think that's an apt comparison. He's fucking great, an all-timer. And part of his greatness is sorta the team and coaching around him.

What am I driving at here? I think the best 2 QB's in the history of the game were Brady and Manning. They're what every team is trying to find at the beginning of every year. That guy who can at worst drag your shitty fucking team to 11-5 every year when the defense is a leaky faucet and the O-line is Swiss Cheese (in Manning's case) or the receivers are dirt (Brady). I honestly just don't think Rodgers is as good as peak Brady or peak Manning. Those guys made it look fucking easy with nothing at receiver and mediocrity at O-line, but the first time Rodgers' receivers start catching injury the offense folds like a lawn chair.

Meh, he's been on their level statistically, and I have feared him the most in the last 5 years. But his peak of carrying a team has not seemed as apparent to me as the other two.

Shame on ye of little faith.

I gotta say props to Trebs for this historically good thread title.  Not sure I got time for the rest of y'all right now. 

Yeah, that game sums up being a half Lions fan (Dallas is fav team) living here. I get up for work early so when I went to bed the Lions looked like world beaters, up like 17 to 0...I wake up, and find out they lost on a last second fluke play. I had visions of the Calvin Johnson catch - no catch against the Bears dancing in my head.... Dallas can't stay healthy and Lions keep finding new ways to lose.

This year has been unique since I am also a Michigan Wolverines fan....can you say last second blocked punt / fumble return for a loss.

Sad Sad year. Oh well, at least Star Wars comes out in a few weeks and the draft is only like 5 months away.

Another game decided by terrible officiating. And I'm not even talking about that awful face-masking call. I'm talking about the 30 or so no calls on the Packers' OTs. But hey, we've got an important player the league is financially interested in to protect, so F the rulebook.

And for the love of god, Dean Blandino needs to be fired.

Image result for aaron rodgers face mask

Because he called this a textbook facemask (it's not, if you read the rulebook). And yet he said this isn't and was a good no call.

Image result for teddy bridgewater face mask

Meh, he's been on their level statistically, and I have feared him the most in the last 5 years. But his peak of carrying a team has not seemed as apparent to me as the other two.

It's one season. Everyone has a bad season and even his bad season is better than 95% of the other QBs in this league. He's hampered by injuries and an offense highly reliant on downfield throwing but without any real healthy OL and a terrible running game. He doesn't dink and dunk it down the field like Manning/Brady does so he can't rely on just throwing some white guy into the slot and picking up 6 yards a game so he's a bit more reliant on the players around him (Davonte Adams for example who leads the league in being the worst). He's also hampered by having a mediocre coach (imagine if he had Belichick instead of McCarthy).

Ultimately, my point is that it's really premature to diminish Rodgers based on one season that isn't even over. It's not like Brady had a perfect season every season.

There's no question the facemask was a terrible call. But I can't feel too bad for the Lions because of how absurdly they botched that Hail Mary. Even Greg Toler was embarrassed by it.  Look at this shit:

CVYe6iNWIAAT4QZ.jpg

Why are 3 Lions in the back of the end zone? Why isn't MOTHERFUCKING MEGATRON in on the play?! You have the single best counter to a Hail Mary that has ever existed in the game of football - maybe, I don't know use that? 

Also not pictured: Two Lions standing at the 40 yard line to guard against a series of laterals.....EXCEPT EVERY PACKER IS ALREADY IN THE END ZONE. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

It's crazy, MNF saw the Brownsiest loss of all time. This has to be the Lionest loss ever. Holy shit. 

I gotta say props to Trebs for this historically good thread title.  Not sure I got time for the rest of y'all right now. 

Thanks! :)

There's no question the facemask was a terrible call. But I can't feel too bad for the Lions because of how absurdly they botched that Hail Mary. Even Greg Toler was embarrassed by it.  Look at this shit:

CVYe6iNWIAAT4QZ.jpg

Why are 3 Lions in the back of the end zone? Why isn't MOTHERFUCKING MEGATRON in on the play?! You have the single best counter to a Hail Mary that has ever existed in the game of football - maybe, I don't know use that? 

Also not pictured: Two Lions standing at the 40 yard line to guard against a series of laterals.....EXCEPT EVERY PACKER IS ALREADY IN THE END ZONE. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

It's crazy, MNF saw the Brownsiest loss of all time. This has to be the Lionest loss ever. Holy shit. 

Yeah, I've been reading more about it this morning. The postgame last night harped about the no Calvin Johnson. I read this morning that they rushed 3 with no Ziggy Ansah and about the two Lions at the 40. WTF? Mike Florio thinks that the guys at the 40 were also oddly guarding the sideline. :blink:

The Lions also only rushed with three players, and their best pass rusher, Ziggy Ansah, was not one of them. That gave Rodgers a full eight seconds to scramble around and gave the Packers’ receivers time to get set in the end zone. If the Lions had rushed with four or five, Rodgers wouldn’t have had that much time.

The Lions also used an odd defensive alignment in which they had two players guarding the sideline around midfield. That strategy could make sense if the Packers had 10 seconds left and the Lions thought they’d try to get 20 yards or so and then get out of bounds. But the strategy makes no sense on an untimed down with no time left.

A 3 man rush is just an embarassingly bad call in that situation.  Rodgers cannot possibly throw the ball 70 yards if there are guys in his face and he can't step up.  Even if they don't get a sack, the pass instead goes to the 10, and even if the catch is made, just finish the tackle, no problem.  Instead the Lions chose to have those 2 guys standing around being useless.

How many games have been lost on an untimed down this year? So far I've counted three. Cleveland loses to San Diego on a free re-kick on an untimed down, Baltimore loses to Jacksonville on an untimed down field goal kick, and now the untimed down for the Hail Mary in last night's game. Strange year.

Thanks! :)

Yeah, I've been reading more about it this morning. The postgame last night harped about the no Calvin Johnson. I read this morning that they rushed 3 with no Ziggy Ansah and about the two Lions at the 40. WTF? Mike Florio thinks that the guys at the 40 were also oddly guarding the sideline. :blink:

OMG the undulating waves of stupid are too much.

Not to mention, why were they not instructed (hell, why didn't they simply know) that if every WR is now in the end zone to maybe follow them? 

Archived