The next big HBO show

NickGOT456

I think HBO has them (or had them at some point). There were various whispers of it actually reaching pre production on a couple of occasions, but I haven't seen anything of late.

I just looked it up. Starz have the rights and are starting production next year http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/aug/25/neil-gaiman-american-gods-tv-adaptation-casting

One of what HBO is doing is a series from  Booker Award Winner, Marlon James, his novel A Brief History of Seven Killings.  He evidently gets to produce, direct, show run etc.  That's a whole lot for one fellow to carry, but They Say he's got it all, based on his directing something in Jamaica at some point earlier in his career as a Lit -Creative Writing prof and author of successful novels.

I just looked it up. Starz have the rights and are starting production next year http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/aug/25/neil-gaiman-american-gods-tv-adaptation-casting

Ah, I stand corrected. I thought HBO still had it. Apparently they tried scripting it a number of times with no success. 

http://io9.com/hbo-explains-why-they-failed-to-make-an-american-gods-t-1590423021

The Sex and the city spinoff, which is a crossover with Entourage. 

Nah, kidding. They're reviving David Milch's magnum opus , John from Cincinatti

For a second,while reading your post I thought there was talk about bringing back Deadwood, sadly I was disappointed not long after.

Yes, Starz are doing American Gods. It's in pre-production now. AMC have also just finished filming the first season of Preacher. The Dark Tower is now a film project for Sony with a spin-off TV show being discussed, probably also by AMC. That's three big properties HBO was going to do, got cold feet and has now lost to rivals.

Sandman is now a film project being produced by Joseph Gordon-Levitt. The Hyperion mini-series has gone to SyFy. HBO really need to up their game, too much stuff that would be great for them is going elsewhere. There's the Watchmen TV series, but no-one seems really enthused by that. There are new David Simon projects (high-five) and Westworld looks pretty good. Not sure what happened to I, Claudius, that also looked like a no-brainer but it looks like they've rested the idea for now.

Some possiblities:

The Night's Dawn: Based on Peter F. Hamilton's trilogy. Apparently there was some renewed Hollywood interest a few years ago. It's space opera but there's also horror, sex, action, sex, big broad characters, sex, some political-economic stuff, sex and a pretty good story. It's right up HBO's street. There's also some flexibility here: you can condense the plot right down and do a focused three-season show, or do two seasons per book and get six seasons out of it.

The Warlord Chronicles: Based on Bernard Cornwell's highly revisionist (and brilliant) trilogy about King Arthur. This has actually been optioned by Bad Wolf Productions who have also signed a co-development deal with HBO, so there's a good chance this might happen.

His Dark Materials: This has been optioned by Bad Wolf and is in development with the BBC. Based on the development deal and subject matter, it's likely HBO will show the series in the States, which means they will be co-funding it to a certain degree.

Wild Cards: SyFy have had the rights but are about to lose them under the reversion clause. This is a no-brainer: HBO has a pre-existing relationship with GRRM, GRRM is developing projects for them, and the show is about a "realistic", grounded view of superheroes and their flaws. Plus shagging.

Yes, Starz are doing American Gods. It's in pre-production now.

And Bryan Fuller is one of the show runners, which means 2 things:

1. It will be really good

2. It will be cancelled after no more than 1-2 seasons

Actually, now that he's gotten away from the networks this might just be his first show that manages to survive long enough to end properly. We can hope, anyway.

And Bryan Fuller is one of the show runners, which means 2 things:

1. It will be really good

2. It will be cancelled after no more than 1-2 seasons

Actually, now that he's gotten away from the networks this might just be his first show that manages to survive long enough to end properly. We can hope, anyway.

Can't imagine it would be more than one season to begin with, unless they're looking to just use the book as a jumping off point. Seems to me this should be a miniseries, the way HBO initially packaged it.

Can't imagine it would be more than one season to begin with, unless they're looking to just use the book as a jumping off point. Seems to me this should be a miniseries, the way HBO initially packaged it.

My understanding was that HBO was planning on 6 seasons of American Gods. A quick google search shows a bunch of articles saying the same thing: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/themediawitches/2013/06/its-official-american-gods-to-run-6-seasons-on-hbo/

Not sure if Starz still has that same plan in place or not.

Also, according to the wikipedia page for the TV show Gaiman has said that "the book would only make up the first two seasons of the show" so assuming that's still the plan there's 2 seasons right there.

My understanding was that HBO was planning on 6 seasons of American Gods. A quick google search shows a bunch of articles saying the same thing: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/themediawitches/2013/06/its-official-american-gods-to-run-6-seasons-on-hbo/

Not sure if Starz still has that same plan in place or not.

Also, according to the wikipedia page for the TV show Gaiman has said that "the book would only make up the first two seasons of the show" so assuming that's still the plan there's 2 seasons right there.

Ah okay, I guess I had it the other way around. Maybe that was the issue that HBO had trying to get this past pre-production. Trying to set up the seasons that came after the source material was exhausted. Did you hear anything about Gaiman being involved in the plotting after they were past the first 2 seasons? 

Did you hear anything about Gaiman being involved in the plotting after they were past the first 2 seasons? 

Everything I've heard is that he's been heavily involved with the entire process. There was a rumor out there for a time that he'd be writing a couple more books for the show to draw from, but I haven't heard anything about that in a while.

Archived