The next big HBO show

NickGOT456

HBO tends not to double dip in genres at the same time. So whilst GoT is on they likely won't touch another epic fantasy. Maybe a few years after it finishes if they find a different spin, like they did (kind of) with The Sopranos and Boardwalk Empire.

I'm curious as to what the process is to acquire the rights to books, graphic novels, etc... and/or if there is a literary property converted to film, what it would take to make it a TV show... for instance, --and this is just an example-- The league of Extraordinary Gentlemen.... they made a movie from a graphic novel... but some would say that it would make a better TV series...  now there would be three parties involved before production even begins...  

There are so many good books, GN's , old movies and TV series that could be redone... My pick is a TV series based on the John Corey novels by Nelson DeMille... and a modern bionic man series...

I wonder if any of the cable networks have thought of turning Clan of the Cave Bear into a series.  Pretty sure all of the books were best sellers, and it's a genre that no one has touched yet.  Not sure there's enough drama/intrigue for HBO, but there's certainly no shortage of sex and gratuitous bewbs.  

Also I'd think the set and production costs would be relatively low, allowing them to really go to town on cgi mammoths and saber toothed tigers, etc.

Apparently Lifetime is adapting that with Ron Howard at the helm.

I'm pretty sure League of Gentleman was being developed as a tv show? I think the rights all depend on what's signed at the time and whether the film version has an expiry date in terms of ownership?

I'd imagine once things become public domain it's a free for all - although I know there are loopholes there they can prevent it. eg if/when Superman becomes public domain or the creators family got the rights back - then there's a load of things they can't use because they came along later eg Krypton/ite, various characters etc. I guess that's harder to do when it's based on a book that hasn't been altered but if there are things that are present in the film that are novel then a TV show could be in trouble if they used the element that was created for film.

I'm sure it's the kind of thing that keep's lawyers families well-fed.

• 6 months later...

I don't think this is really the correct place for this, but I can't find an unlocked True Detective thread and didn't want to start a new one...

McConaughey wants back in on True Detective. Season 2 was a disaster compared to season 1, but somehow Pizzolatto got HBO to agree to a third season. This would be awesome. I would love to see Rust and Marty back again.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/06/matthew-mcconaughey-true-detective-season-3?mbid=social_twitter

9 hours ago, -Ghost- said:

I don't think this is really the correct place for this, but I can't find an unlocked True Detective thread and didn't want to start a new one...

McConaughey wants back in on True Detective. Season 2 was a disaster compared to season 1, but somehow Pizzolatto got HBO to agree to a third season. This would be awesome. I would love to see Rust and Marty back again.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/06/matthew-mcconaughey-true-detective-season-3?mbid=social_twitter

Interesting but doesn't really say there will be a 3rd season next year. Yet.

Hopefully it will arrive. 2016 is out of the question now though.

I think they're (the HBO brass)  counting on Westworld. ... the network that brought us the Sopranos, The Wire, and Game of Thrones is limping...

True Detective had a shot... S2 fell flat

Vinyl looked like it was going to be a lot of fun.... it was convoluted. 

The Leftovers has a following,... but it'll never illicit the kind of viewership that would make it a huge hit...

True Blood Boardwalk Empire, Newsroom and Treme are over  

... They do well with comedy, but their dramas --the kind of shows that create watercooler buzz-- are wanting...

I renewed my HBO subscription for GoT but I'll probably cancel again next week, especially since it allowed me to catch the season of Veep too.  There's nothing else worth watching and it has been a limp few years for them.  Truth be told, GoT isn't terribly high quality TV either compared to Breaking Bad, Fargo, etc.  True Detective S1 was their only recent program really worth watching, aside from hate-watching Newsroom.  I never got into True Blood, Treme, Boardwalk Empire, Leftovers, Vinyl, etc.  I've mainly binge-watched The Wire.

There is also a glut of TV dramas at the moment, and I haven't even tried yet watching some of the buzziest like Empire, The Americans, etc.

27 minutes ago, Immobile Buffon said:

I renewed my HBO subscription for GoT but I'll probably cancel again next week, especially since it allowed me to catch the season of Veep too.  There's nothing else worth watching and it has been a limp few years for them.  Truth be told, GoT isn't terribly high quality TV either compared to Breaking Bad, Fargo, etc.  True Detective S1 was their only recent program really worth watching, aside from hate-watching Newsroom.  I never got into True Blood, Treme, Boardwalk Empire, Leftovers, Vinyl, etc.  I've mainly binge-watched The Wire.

There is also a glut of TV dramas at the moment, and I haven't even tried yet watching some of the buzziest like Empire, The Americans, etc.

They've had some really good miniseries and original movies the past few years; they just never get quite the same buzz as the dramas.

I also use HBO as a way of catching up on blockbusters I missed. Its how I finally saw Furious 7 a few weeks ago.

The Night Of and Vice Principals are the only HBO summer shows I'm interested in. HBO typically has shit programming during the summer, like most networks. Oddly enough, Showtime's summer programming interests me more than the other premium channels with Ray Donovan and Roadies. Gomorrah is the only show which is must see for me this summer and that's not until Aug 24. My MO is to renew my Netflix subscription for the summer and just binge on those shows until Fall.

Obviously its Ballers guys.

But seriously HBO needs to get their shit together. As much as GoT infuriates me a lot of the time, it's honestly the only thing on that network currently that's even remotely interesting imo. I thought True Detective was gearing up to be their next big thing, but alas Season 2 happened.

I hope a decent amount of people watch The Night Of. Based on the pilot I feel like it could generate as much discussion as season 1 of True Detective. 

As for HBOs next big thing we will see how Westworld is later on in the year. 

If I were in the decision seat at HBO, right about now I would probably be thinking in terms of basic genres with the most broad-based popularity. I wouldn't, for instance, be taking a gamble on something like The Leftovers or Vinyl. So, for me, I'd be looking at ideas for cop shows, medical dramas, espionage and crime thrillers, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, historical.

Archived