One Wish.

MaybeINeverSawACamel

R + L =/= J

would be absolutely hilarious 

It would indeed be hilarious but it would also kind of destroy the series given how heavily it's embedded.  

Well, there are maybe some ways it could be done that wasn't a deliberate betrayal of the readership, but I'm not seeing them.  

It would indeed be hilarious but it would also kind of destroy the series given how heavily it's embedded.  

Well, there are maybe some ways it could be done that wasn't a deliberate betrayal of the readership, but I'm not seeing them.  

I don't get it how does it destroy the series? :dunno:

It only takes away the fact the Jon is not a Targaryen and Ned isn't so honorable as many have thought. The game of thrones still happens. Winter still comes and the dead with it. Dany still wants the Iron Throne. Starks are still fighting. Varys is still ploting. Belish is still creating chaos...etc

The only thing that will be destroyed is the hearts of many that was praying for Jon Snow to be the savior/Messiah/AA/PTWP/3rd head of dragon...etc:rofl:

It only takes away the fact the Jon is not a Targaryen and Ned isn't so honorable as many have thought. The game of thrones still happens. Winter still comes and the dead with it. Dany still wants the Iron Throne. Starks are still fighting. Varys is still ploting. Belish is still creating chaos...etc

The only thing that will be destroyed is the hearts of many that was praying for Jon Snow to be the savior/Messiah/AA/PTWP/3rd head of dragon...etc:rofl:

I'm not talking about the plot.

It's the central mystery of the series which has been hinted at and foreshadowed continuously for five books.  Going "lolno, just kidding" is not an easy thing to do as a writer without coming off as a tool.  

I'm not talking about the plot.

It's the central mystery of the series which has been hinted at and foreshadowed continuously for five books.  Going "lolno, just kidding" is not an easy thing to do as a writer without coming off as a tool.  

I don't think its that important. I find other things a LOT more important than Jon snow parentage. For example; How is Dany going to take over Westeros? How will the others be stopped? Which house will be destroyed? and many other things. 

I think you mean its a central mystery to the some FANS of the book not the series itself. 

Seeing how the world of ASOIF would do just fine without it being known to anyone about Jon parentage. Even if it turns out he isn't the son of Rhaegar. The world still rotates and shit still happens. Even if its hinted at and foreshadowed it doesn't mean it has to happen the author is the true God of the books so if the author makes it so he is actually Ned's bastard (which in my opinion is more awesome than being the son of a prince) then so be it. I wouldn't call the author a tool if that happens.

I think the only way GRRM can be a tool is if he is making Jon some super human and son of Rhaegar and Lyanna because the fans want it. Not because he envision it. 

Nah, George has talked about "the central mystery" himself.  Of course, you'll try to argue that he could have been referring to something else, but given that the question he asked to check if someone was a true fan was "Who are Jon's parents?" I'm going to pre-emptively call bullshit.  

Nah, George has talked about "the central mystery" himself.  Of course, you'll try to argue that he could have been referring to something else, but given that the question he asked to check if someone was a true fan was "Who are Jon's parents?" I'm going to pre-emptively call bullshit.  

Can I see a quote of GRRM saying that?

Can I see a quote of GRRM saying that?

Fourth paragraph:

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1261

Second paragraph (it's recounted elsewhere as well):

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/game-of-thrones-ending-season-5-producers-interview-1201469516/

If you don't think Jon's parentage is going to be the big reveal of the stories, if you don't think that mystery matters, if you think there is going to be no payoff after years of hints - I'm sorry, you're wrong.  Now, that payoff will almost certainly not be a fairytale sort of moment, but it will absolutely matter, at least thematically; in terms of the plot it could be irrelevant, (e.g. if Jon finds out, says he doesn't care and will always be Ned's son, and refuses the throne), but even with that it would still be a big deal in the books (e.g. a rejection of the idea of destiny so common in fantasy, or whatever).

Fourth paragraph:

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/game-of-thrones-ending-season-5-producers-interview-1201469516/

If you don't think Jon's parentage is going to be the big reveal of the stories, if you don't think that mystery matters, if you think there is going to be no payoff after years of hints - I'm sorry, you're wrong.  Now, that payoff will almost certainly not be a fairytale sort of moment, but it will absolutely matter, at least thematically; in terms of the plot it could be irrelevant, (e.g. if Jon finds out, says he doesn't care and will always be Ned's son, and refuses the throne), but even with that it would still be a big deal in the books (e.g. a rejection of the idea of destiny so common in fantasy, or whatever).

you're wrong. It'd be totally worth it. 

The greatest Red Herring of all time. 

Fourth paragraph:

I just think that knowing Jon parents is not that important compare to other things that seem a lot more important than finding out who his parents are. Alright sure its a mystery one of the central mysteries at that. But you stated that it would destroy the series which i find absurd. I do think mystery matters i just think finding out who Jon snow mommy and daddy are is not that big a deal. I find that mystery is more important to the fans instead of the actual series. And seeing how many people on this forum go insane about it, when there is a lot more important things to think and care about, makes me shake my head a little. 

So In my opinion knowing Jon Snows Parents is not important nor would it destroy the series and my expectations. 

Jon NOT being a Targaryen would mean that fAegon would virtually be a lock as a real Aegon. Aegon showing up in the 5th book (even though it was obvious that Varys and Illyrio has something planned) and being one of the Three Heads of the Dragon and one of the main heroes in the story would be a huge let down.

Not to mention make the Knight of the Laughing Tree story and the mystery of Lyanna and Rhaegar almost completely pointless.

Yes, the other factions would still going about there plan, but Jon turning out to Ashra's kid or something would make at least 10% of the pages in the book completely pointless.

Oh, I doubt it's that embedded in the series.  The other possibilities are more interesting and could bring on more drama for House Stark.  I particularly like Mance & Lyanna=Jon.

Archived