Who is going to be promoted to main cast in Season 6?

Lady of Butterflies

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 3:38 AM, Sparklehorse said:

I hope for Osha, Rickon, High Sparrow and Yara. I can see Pycelle and Kevan Lannister as well happening, maybe Lancel too. 

If Pycelle and Kevan survive the first 3 episodes I will be surprised ...

2 hours ago, Lady of Butterflies said:

I don't think they would promote a character only to kill him in the same season.

Who knows. Wasn't Charles Dance in the main credits when he just played his corpse. I don't see why dying this season would prevent someone from joining the main cast if someone can get the credit for playing a corpse. Wasn't Oaana Chaplin promoted the season she died too?

Dont think there will be any promotions this year.  Its already 27 cast members and it hasnt been more than 28 members before.  Could be that there will be 29 members , but doubt it will be 30.  Anyway i think Hound will return  to main cast

6 hours ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

They can promote anyone they want. Margeary is a very, very minor character in the books and the show has practically made her one of the main stars. Same with Ramsay.

Only in terms of actual screen / page time could you consider them major. In terms of their overall effect on events and POV characters they are actually pretty significant. Not sure how you would be able to show that without actually making them major characters.

How for instance would you have a character who manages to marry 3 potential kings on the show, and not make her a major character. 

Its not about promoting who they want, but making things work for tv.

2 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Only in terms of actual screen / page time could you consider them major. In terms of their overall effect on events and POV characters they are actually pretty significant. Not sure how you would be able to show that without actually making them major characters.

How for instance would you have a character who manages to marry 3 potential kings on the show, and not make her a major character. 

Its not about promoting who they want, but making things work for tv.

They made the choices on Margeary, for boobs in season 2, aging up Tommen rediculously fast for a post consummation scene etc. They did not have to do that but did so out of choice, not necessity.

43 minutes ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

They made the choices on Margeary, for boobs in season 2, aging up Tommen rediculously fast for a post consummation scene etc. They did not have to do that but did so out of choice, not necessity.

I'm sure in your puritanical conspiracy theory it was all done so there was more sex, but more than likely, if you had any sort of logical mind you'd see that aging up was done because the character was given a much more prominent role than in the book , therefore its sensible to be able to cast an actor who can act the role. Almost all the main characters are aged up for similar reasons. Not for sex. Sorry that breaks your world view. 

Also noticable you sideswiped my point about screen time, to turn it into a rant about sex. 

3 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I'm sure in your puritanical conspiracy theory it was all done so there was more sex, but more than likely, if you had any sort of logical mind you'd see that aging up was done because the character was given a much more prominent role than in the book , therefore its sensible to be able to cast an actor who can act the role. Almost all the main characters are aged up for similar reasons. Not for sex. Sorry that breaks your world view. 

Also noticable you sideswiped my point about screen time, to turn it into a rant about sex. 

Well, intern, I have no problem with sex but that is not really what matters. GRRM did not make Margeary Tyrell, Baratheon Lannister x 2 into a major character as she is barely in the books but as an accent in Cersei's pov chapters for the most part and in there in tidbits. In fact, she is what, a 14-15 year old girl that is mostly talked about by other people. The show creators make choices to elevate and negate whomever they choose. Then, technically it is necessary, in order to satisfy their creative choices to make them main characters or not. You seem bitter because of our disagreement over Sansa's storyline in season 5. You are welcome to send me personal messages if you want to take that off the boards.

But this goes back to my point. In a book, maybe you can do a character who is an almost constant presence in the story without really making them a major character. In a tv show, its really not that easy. Would you also have preferred Stannis to not be a major character because he's just an accent on other peoples POV chapters? 

My issue is the constant statements made of Producers motivations, why are completely baseless, and like this 'sexualisation' one have no supporting evidence. Probably best to keep stuff like that in the Rant thread where it makes sense. 

It depends on the character. Stannis is constantily, for the most part, until his march towards Winterfell in the company of povs. Davos, Jon, Mel, Sam and in the beginning his Maester. He is the legit King of Westeros by law and blood. Margeary in her case is a bit more tricky. They make choices based on what they want to do in elevating or removing characters. It is their choice and regency to do so.

In regards to opinions by some that there is no evidence of "sexualizing" characters is really, really laughable. It is been in front of our eyes, season after season.

Well consider a scenario where we see Margery get married 3 times.. and yet shes never even a character? Where she is part of the Tyrell family who are borderline at war with the Lannisters but is barely a character. It couldn't work. Yes the creators are making decisions, but often like in this case, they are out of necessity. 

So characters are aged up so they can get laid yeah? Sure. 

22 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Well consider a scenario where we see Margery get married 3 times.. and yet shes never even a character? Where she is part of the Tyrell family who are borderline at war with the Lannisters but is barely a character. It couldn't work. Yes the creators are making decisions, but often like in this case, they are out of necessity. 

So characters are aged up so they can get laid yeah? Sure. 

Why was Tommen aged up? Margeary too for that matter? Messandie? Was it necessary for the story in general? Was it to sexualize them a little bit? Just a little?  Why is Myranda there? Do you understand? Again, their choice to do so and the made the choice. Just saying.

4 minutes ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

Why was Tommen aged up? Margeary too for that matter? Messandie? Was it necessary for the story in general? Was it to sexualize them a little bit? Just a little?  Why is Myranda there? Do you understand? Again, their choice to do so and the made the choice. Just saying.

I think any rational viewer would recognise that the aging up was done primarily because then you get to use older actors , who give better performances, are easier to work with and also less likely to do a Bran and end up being not so photogenic after puberty. 

Part of it is also to make some of the under age sexual stuff that happens in the book a bit more acceptable. 

Some of it is possibly because having young children act and behave in the way they do in the book stretches believability.

Missendai in the books is 11 yet acts like a tactical genius. The show aged her up more than likely to make her believable as an advisory to Dany. 

45 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I think any rational viewer would recognise that the aging up was done primarily because then you get to use older actors , who give better performances, are easier to work with and also less likely to do a Bran and end up being not so photogenic after puberty. 

Part of it is also to make some of the under age sexual stuff that happens in the book a bit more acceptable. 

Some of it is possibly because having young children act and behave in the way they do in the book stretches believability.

Missendai in the books is 11 yet acts like a tactical genius. The show aged her up more than likely to make her believable as an advisory to Dany. 

I would agree with your points except there is no sex in the books thus far for Tommen, Margeary, Missandie etc but then again, the showcreators are creators and they have that agency to do so.

9 minutes ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

I would agree with your points except there is no sex in the books thus far for Tommen, Margeary, Missandie etc but then again, the showcreators are creators and they have that agency to do so.

Actually it is heavily implied in the books that Renly and Margeary had sex on their wedding night.

and no sex so far in the show for Missandei.

1 minute ago, El Guapo said:

Actually it is heavily implied in the books that Renly and Margeary had sex on their wedding night.

and no sex so far in the show for Missandei.

Well, he had a boner, probably from being near Loras as they were lovers in the books as well. As for Margeary, who knows?

Archived