Into the Badlands, Thoughts?

Alia of the knife

Sunny's not a Baron but he is a Regent and clearly a pretty competent one, even aside from the mad martial arts skills. There have been several scenes of him advising Quinn on political and strategic questions, so whether or not he is interested in these areas, he clearly understands and participates in them to a level that would qualify him to be a Baron.

On the other hand, I do get the impression that he genuinely feels he owes loyalty to Quinn, up to a certain point anyway. There are things he won't do for Quinn, but there are also things he won't do to Quinn, one of them being usurping him.

That said, it's been hinted fairly broadly that Quinn considers Sunny a possible alternative heir if and when Ryder washes out.

I really enjoyed the finale overall. It's the first season finale I've watched in a while that actually felt like a true finale, with all of the plotlines coming to some kind of conclusion, while still laying the groundwork for the next season.  My only complaint might be that they tried to do a little too much with the last fifteen minutes or so, in the sense that Sunny being captured felt rushed, and the actual outcome of the big skirmish is unclear in a way that feels less intentional and more like they ran out of time.  Everything else was good though, and I've really liked this first season.  I will definitely be tuning in next year.

Ser Creighton,

I definitely agree the story is about Sonnys past because he seems to be drawn to the boundries outside the Badlands. In terms of accents, many in southern WV sound like Texans.Baltimore has it's own distinct accents and in Chicago, you have "Da Bears." :P  

Mormont and Brett, The thing with Sonnys qualities makes one wonder how long it would have taken for him to decide he wanted his own domain, though I agree with the Baron, Sonny has a talent for killing.

I also think the Barons lack of honor in regards to loyalty was foolish.  You can  be only so ruthless.

I'm not sure if Sunny is a good protagonist, or if everyone else on the show is just that awful of a person....lol ... Quinn is despicable, his son is worse, his wife & fiancée are terrible people.... the other barons are psychotic..... even MK is kind of a dick...

I'm just amazed at the fight choreography .... basically it's half the show.... so  these actors have to all be fairly athletic .... the stunt people are terrific....  overall I really had fun watching this show.... hope it gets a 2nd season, especially since nothing was resolved

overall I really had fun watching this show.

This.  After the first episode I was a bit disappointed, but when they previewed the "season finale" last week I was surprised at how disappointed I was again, but this time because I didn't know it was only a six episode season.  Hopefully it gets renewed.

Have to agree with most, I enjoyed this season. It is mindless fun and as long as it stays light I will keep watching it.

Pretty clear goal from beginning of season to the end, put the women in charge and next season see how they do. The Widow just came into power when the season started, Quinn is dead and his son will be controlled by Jade, and Zypher took out her Baron. 

The question is, who are the people with the powers like MK? Do they all live and master their skills together? So many possibilities there.

I love the show. They do need to build in a little more grayness into some of the characters. Seems like they are starting to do that with the Baron's wife. They are also introducing some new characters with interesting back stories like the monks and the wife's father.

I love kung fu and post-apocalyptic genres so it is right up my alley. Even though post apocalyptic is really common nowadays I like that they have put a really unique spin on it. My only complaint is that AMC rolls out these short 6 episode seasons and now i am left waiting until who knows when for the next episode.

• 2 weeks later...

watched this on amazon over christmas and I really enjoyed it. Mindless fun and some of the best chorepgraphed action I've see in a long time. It's like a hybrid between the surreal (crouching tiger) and the viciousness of "the raid". I could honestly watch it for the action alone. The fact it's all bundled up in the setting of some indie comic I've never read is just icing for me.

My only problem is that I find the kid who shouldn't bleed a bit annoying and that's partly because of his acting. Loved the Baron though - the actor is clearly having fun.

Really hope it gets a second season as AMC should be rewarded for trying different things and not just throwing out Walking dead spin offs.

This show is great. Even if the plot is meh, the action is incredible. Totally worth it for that alone. I watched it a 2nd time with my gf and she keeps wishing there was more. Really hope for a 2nd season.

It certainly could have carried a 10-12 episode season as far as I'm concerned too. Hoping it catches on via good word of mouth. My friends had never heard of it until I pushed it on them.

It certainly could have carried a 10-12 episode season as far as I'm concerned too. Hoping it catches on via good word of mouth. My friends had never heard of it until I pushed it on them.

It got decent ratings. It wasn't better than Better Call Saul or Walking Dead but it was better than everything else they had on the channel I think and some of them like Halt and Catch Fire got renewed (love love love this show).

My only problem is that I find the kid who shouldn't bleed a bit annoying and that's partly because of his acting.

The thing about MK is that he is a bit annoying, but that struck me as exactly how a 15-year-old kid should be. :P

For example, when he wants Veil's help he says 'you have to help me', not 'can you help me?' In another scene he butts in on Sunny and Veil rudely and doesn't apologise. It's exactly how a teenage boy that age would actually behave.

Acting-wise, he was OK: I can't really recall a dodgy performance. Zephyr's first scene is poor, but she gets way better immediately, so I'm willing to put that down to an off day.

The thing about MK is that he is a bit annoying, but that struck me as exactly how a 15-year-old kid should be. :P

For example, when he wants Veil's help he says 'you have to help me', not 'can you help me?' In another scene he butts in on Sunny and Veil rudely and doesn't apologise. It's exactly how a teenage boy that age would actually behave.

Acting-wise, he was OK: I can't really recall a dodgy performance. Zephyr's first scene is poor, but she gets way better immediately, so I'm willing to put that down to an off day.

Good points. In that sense the actor probably nailed it. I did appreciate how he's betraying people left, right and centre.

It got decent ratings. It wasn't better than Better Call Saul or Walking Dead but it was better than everything else they had on the channel I think and some of them like Halt and Catch Fire got renewed (love love love this show).

That's reassuring to hear.

I saw the last episode the day before yesterday, forgot to post on it. It was okay, I think I would watch a second season if they commission one. The worldbuilding is pretty poor, the acting can be questionable at times (especially with MK), and the story is pretty jumbled. On the plus side, Quinn was awesome. That actor chewed scenery like his life depended on it and it worked. The fights were pretty. I'm not a big fan of the whole wire kung fu style, but this looked more like a dance at times and I liked that. Although, I have to say the fight in the final episode was weak. Especially the fact that

We didn't get to see much of  MK's slaughtering of the clippers.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Couldn't find another thread for this.

But I just finished watching this on Amazon Prime. I've never felt so guilty for enjoying a show in my entire life. Almost every element of this show is cheap, poorly made, badly written and a bit embarrassing. But the story was just about interesting enough to hold my attention and the fights were some of the best I've seen on tv. 

I'm hoping a new series will be a real upgrade however!

Archived