Into the Badlands, Thoughts?

Alia of the knife

2 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Couldn't find another thread for this.

But I just finished watching this on Amazon Prime. I've never felt so guilty for enjoying a show in my entire life. Almost every element of this show is cheap, poorly made, badly written and a bit embarrassing. But the story was just about interesting enough to hold my attention and the fights were some of the best I've seen on tv. 

I'm hoping a new series will be a real upgrade however!

It was all about the fights for me. The story doesn't make much sense but I do like the setting and the kick-assery. It's a great disengage mind show and at least avoids all the BS in the CW DC-comic shows.

22 minutes ago, red snow said:

It was all about the fights for me. The story doesn't make much sense but I do like the setting and the kick-assery. It's a great disengage mind show and at least avoids all the BS in the CW DC-comic shows.

Yeah those who complain about characters making poor decisions, or coincidences or brain farts in GoT would have an absolute field day with this show. How many times did I think 'why is that guy even there?!' as some contrivance occurred. 

But the fights were full on epic! 

2 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Yeah those who complain about characters making poor decisions, or coincidences or brain farts in GoT would have an absolute field day with this show. How many times did I think 'why is that guy even there?!' as some contrivance occurred. 

But the fights were full on epic! 

It helps that this show isn't pretending to be smart or pretentious. I hope the pacing remains the same with the extended season - I'd hate for it to follow Walking Dead's example.

16 hours ago, red snow said:

It helps that this show isn't pretending to be smart or pretentious. I hope the pacing remains the same with the extended season - I'd hate for it to follow Walking Dead's example.

It depends how much you can accept for this show, how much you can handwave at the plot. The pacing this season was FAST, too fast. Things just happened, they jumped from one thing to another, very little set up or explanation. Characters appeared in locations they should never have been in, and other characters acted for reasons unbeknown to anyone. 

But I think of it almost like watching an Anime or a cartoon. I loved Avatar, and this has a similar feel, I just sit and imagine everyone is a drawing.

6 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

It depends how much you can accept for this show, how much you can handwave at the plot. The pacing this season was FAST, too fast. Things just happened, they jumped from one thing to another, very little set up or explanation. Characters appeared in locations they should never have been in, and other characters acted for reasons unbeknown to anyone. 

But I think of it almost like watching an Anime or a cartoon. I loved Avatar, and this has a similar feel, I just sit and imagine everyone is a drawing.

It does have the pacing and feel of an anime show, for sure. The characters fit that mold too. I called it "  some indie comic I've never read" so we're coming from the same place. There's a comic called "east of west" that reminds me of it a little - alternate future where the USA is a weird and wonderful place.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
2 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Season 2 trailer

WTF? Nick Frost! Doing action scenes (although that's not such a stretch when I think of his films with Edgar wright.

Have to admit I can't really remember anyone in the show besides Sunny, MK and Quinn (who I think is dead and isn't in trailer). I might need to at least watch the last episode before starting season 2. I hope it's as fun as the first season

Can't say I'm hugely interested in watching another season but the beginning of that trailer had a Fury Road vibe that spiked my interest!

its just a shame that most of the show will be on cheap locations like that plantation, featuring men in costumes that look like they were designed by a child who saw a couple of 80s movies. 

I liked the fights and the setting. It kinda of reminded me of the Sterling Emberverse. I'm a little worried about it going on the road with the story line. I'll miss the authoritarian rulers. I'm not sure about the fantasy elements as well, Although I like fantasy usually, so quite possibly I'll adapt.

2 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

Yeah, this isn't a show I watch for its plot --like Westworld-- or its vibe--like Taboo-- or its genre --like Game of Thrones.... I watch this show because its a shit-ton of self aware shark jumping fun... I don't even remember what the hell is going on.

Wait what show do you watch for self aware shark jumping fun? oh into the badlands DUH. But yeah that was an interesting show cant say i got into it to much tho.

• 1 month later...

Agree the show will elevate no one's IQ but the CGI in the trailers looks godawful.  They're shooting in Ireland this year as opposed to Louisiana so that tells me they've cut the budget and no idea how that location change will impact what we get onscreen or if they lose cast because of it. 

• 1 month later...

Yeah, the first episode of the new series is great. The opening fight scene is completely gratuitous and silly but awesome. The 'chapter VII' title screen is a nice touch, Nick Frost is a great addition to the cast, Ally Ioannides is amazing, and Daniel Wu needs to be given a proper action movie lead role to do as soon as he's done with this series. Some terrific ideas in there and

Marton Csokas is back! I'm betting 'clone'.

Archived