Alia of the knife

Into the Badlands, Thoughts?

63 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Couldn't find another thread for this.

But I just finished watching this on Amazon Prime. I've never felt so guilty for enjoying a show in my entire life. Almost every element of this show is cheap, poorly made, badly written and a bit embarrassing. But the story was just about interesting enough to hold my attention and the fights were some of the best I've seen on tv. 

I'm hoping a new series will be a real upgrade however!

It was all about the fights for me. The story doesn't make much sense but I do like the setting and the kick-assery. It's a great disengage mind show and at least avoids all the BS in the CW DC-comic shows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, red snow said:

It was all about the fights for me. The story doesn't make much sense but I do like the setting and the kick-assery. It's a great disengage mind show and at least avoids all the BS in the CW DC-comic shows.

Yeah those who complain about characters making poor decisions, or coincidences or brain farts in GoT would have an absolute field day with this show. How many times did I think 'why is that guy even there?!' as some contrivance occurred. 

But the fights were full on epic! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Yeah those who complain about characters making poor decisions, or coincidences or brain farts in GoT would have an absolute field day with this show. How many times did I think 'why is that guy even there?!' as some contrivance occurred. 

But the fights were full on epic! 

It helps that this show isn't pretending to be smart or pretentious. I hope the pacing remains the same with the extended season - I'd hate for it to follow Walking Dead's example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, red snow said:

It helps that this show isn't pretending to be smart or pretentious. I hope the pacing remains the same with the extended season - I'd hate for it to follow Walking Dead's example.

It depends how much you can accept for this show, how much you can handwave at the plot. The pacing this season was FAST, too fast. Things just happened, they jumped from one thing to another, very little set up or explanation. Characters appeared in locations they should never have been in, and other characters acted for reasons unbeknown to anyone. 

But I think of it almost like watching an Anime or a cartoon. I loved Avatar, and this has a similar feel, I just sit and imagine everyone is a drawing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

It depends how much you can accept for this show, how much you can handwave at the plot. The pacing this season was FAST, too fast. Things just happened, they jumped from one thing to another, very little set up or explanation. Characters appeared in locations they should never have been in, and other characters acted for reasons unbeknown to anyone. 

But I think of it almost like watching an Anime or a cartoon. I loved Avatar, and this has a similar feel, I just sit and imagine everyone is a drawing.

It does have the pacing and feel of an anime show, for sure. The characters fit that mold too. I called it "  some indie comic I've never read" so we're coming from the same place. There's a comic called "east of west" that reminds me of it a little - alternate future where the USA is a weird and wonderful place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only watched this show for the wardrobe and the fight scenes.  Both are stellar.  Looking forward to the next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Season 2 trailer

 

WTF? Nick Frost! Doing action scenes (although that's not such a stretch when I think of his films with Edgar wright.

Have to admit I can't really remember anyone in the show besides Sunny, MK and Quinn (who I think is dead and isn't in trailer). I might need to at least watch the last episode before starting season 2. I hope it's as fun as the first season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't say I'm hugely interested in watching another season but the beginning of that trailer had a Fury Road vibe that spiked my interest!

its just a shame that most of the show will be on cheap locations like that plantation, featuring men in costumes that look like they were designed by a child who saw a couple of 80s movies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked the fights and the setting. It kinda of reminded me of the Sterling Emberverse. I'm a little worried about it going on the road with the story line. I'll miss the authoritarian rulers. I'm not sure about the fantasy elements as well, Although I like fantasy usually, so quite possibly I'll adapt.

Edited by Martell Spy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, this isn't a show I watch for its plot --like Westworld-- or its vibe--like Taboo-- or its genre --like Game of Thrones.... I watch this show because its a shit-ton of self aware shark jumping fun... I don't even remember what the hell is going on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

Yeah, this isn't a show I watch for its plot --like Westworld-- or its vibe--like Taboo-- or its genre --like Game of Thrones.... I watch this show because its a shit-ton of self aware shark jumping fun... I don't even remember what the hell is going on.

Wait what show do you watch for self aware shark jumping fun? oh into the badlands DUH. But yeah that was an interesting show cant say i got into it to much tho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree the show will elevate no one's IQ but the CGI in the trailers looks godawful.  They're shooting in Ireland this year as opposed to Louisiana so that tells me they've cut the budget and no idea how that location change will impact what we get onscreen or if they lose cast because of it. 

Edited by generalzod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've certainly not heard that they've lost cast, and the core cast all appear in the trailers so far as I can see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pumped. I was thoroughly entertained by the first season and will likely be entertained by the second. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, cool.  So March 19th is the debut of S2.  

I was also thoroughly entertained by S1 and glad we're getting more.  I hope the character of Rider gets better.  He was the only one I thought sucked in S1.  

Will miss the Baron from S1.  That guy was awesome. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thoughts on E1?  

I'd seen that they moved the filming from the areas around New Orleans to Ireland.  That mountain location looked pretty sweet.

The first ep didn't change my feelings that the Rider character is poorly acted...I hope that changes because it seems like they're going with him being a big character.  

I feel like it's too early to say much about the story lines in this one episode although maybe if the "other barons" are going to go after The Widow we'll get some of those factions introduced.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Into the Badlands has made me realise how much you can get away with a poor story, bad acting, low budget and stupid costumes.. as long as you have awesome fight sequences!

Iron Fist has a lot to learn from this show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the idea of this show way more than the actual show. I love the set up up the universe, it's super cool. Just something about the show doesn't click. Maybe the writing? Acting?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.