Alia of the knife

Into the Badlands, Thoughts?

80 posts in this topic

The Widow is the kind of woman I'd bury a body for... giggity

S2 ep1.... did not disappoint... balls out hilarious violence galore

Yeah, the first episode of the new series is great. The opening fight scene is completely gratuitous and silly but awesome. The 'chapter VII' title screen is a nice touch, Nick Frost is a great addition to the cast, Ally Ioannides is amazing, and Daniel Wu needs to be given a proper action movie lead role to do as soon as he's done with this series. Some terrific ideas in there and

Marton Csokas is back! I'm betting 'clone'.

Posted (edited)

Yeah, I think it's "over-the-topness" is it's charm.

It's a mix of "Mad Max," "Kung Fu," and "Conan the Barbarian" all rolled into one, (the movies did not have stellar reviews when they first came out, but such was the charm of the 70's/80's as opposed to now).

Now if they only remake "Zanadu"

https://youtu.be/Rb4WLZHXcds?list=RDRb4WLZHXcds

Edited by Alia of the knife

I am really digging this show.  I adore the visuals, and yes, the acting is sort of hammy, but it's fun.  I am really enjoying the addition of Nick Frost to the cast, as well.

Best thing on TV right now. I did worry that Frost might be used as comic relief only, but happily they didn't go down that road in the end and the series is benefiting from it. Quinn is also killing it this season, no pun intended. I love how committed he is to that accent. :P

Best thing on TV right now.

I watched about five episodes over three nights, and somehow never went back.  It was so much "been there watched this already so many times . . . ."

7 hours ago, Zorral said:

I watched about five episodes over three nights, and somehow never went back.  It was so much "been there watched this already so many times . . . ."

I can't get to grips with that view at all. OK, it's a post-apocalypse show, you've seen those before. But never done with such style. The fights are terrific, the sets, costumes and photography are gorgeous, the acting... OK, the acting is variable (I'm looking at you, M.K.), but there are some real gems in there.

On 5/3/2017 at 5:03 PM, mormont said:

Best thing on TV right now. I did worry that Frost might be used as comic relief only, but happily they didn't go down that road in the end and the series is benefiting from it. Quinn is also killing it this season, no pun intended. I love how committed he is to that accent. :P

I know, right?  I mean, I have got a strong southern accent and he makes mine sound tame.  I love it.  

It's the only show I'm really committed to watching right now.  It's fantastic, and I'm honestly puzzled why people aren't enjoying it.  

17 hours ago, mormont said:

I can't get to grips with that view at all. OK, it's a post-apocalypse show, you've seen those before. But never done with such style. The fights are terrific, the sets, costumes and photography are gorgeous, the acting... OK, the acting is variable (I'm looking at you, M.K.), but there are some real gems in there.

I feel like Aramis Knight's M.K. has improved.  He certainly sucked at first, but last episode required some acting, and I felt like he was way better than early episode M.K.  presumably he's a principal should the show keep going, so this feels like a good sign.  Oliver Stark's Ryder was the real acting atrocity to me. 

Per you and Elder Sis, I'm enjoying this show quite a bit.  It just looks like nothing else with the fighting and the setting and the costumes.  I think its strengths more than make up for its flaws, and I also don't think its flaws are all that bad.  I really hope it keeps going a few more seasons.

Also, I just realized that Quinn was Celeborn.  Whoa.  

Stark is getting better. So is Knight, but he's still the weakest link IMO. To be hyper-critical, both Sarah Bolger and Madeleine Mantock have had some dodgy moments too but they've also both had scenes where they absolutely nailed it, such as last week's two-hander between Quinn and Jade. That was fantastic.

Oh, and the series is to keep going, in fact season 3 will be 16 episodes. :)

Posted (edited)

On 5/4/2017 at 4:14 AM, mormont said:

Yah. Women fighting so devastatingly successfully wearing shoes they can't even walk in with heels so very high and thin, wasp waisted corsets in which they can't breathe, etc. Puts yet another spin on Ginger Rogers doing everything that Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.

I have seen this so much and I still fall over laughing every time, and am tired of it.  Also, of course, daughters always fall in love with the outsider.  IOW, one cliche after another, and they aren't confined to dystopia and apocolypse -- and by the way, in this economy, who is making all those lovely clothes?  World-building not convincing, i.e. cannot suspend disbelief.

Edited by Zorral

So you have no problem with male characters fighting eight, nine or ten opponents barehanded and winning but female characters fighting in the wrong clothing is where you draw the line?

ITB's fighting is highly stylised, in the great tradition of Hong Kong martial arts. The Widow fighting in those outfits is something I appreciate for the cool factor. :)

As for 'daughters always fall in love with the outsider'... well, this season puts some spin on that. (For one thing, Tilda is not the Widow's daughter.)

Posted (edited)

Does anyone know how MK

came to lose his abilities?

Edited by Martini Sigil

It seems to be connected to his last experience in the mirror room. But I have a suspicion that the Master may have done something too.

On 5/6/2017 at 4:41 AM, mormont said:

It seems to be connected to his last experience in the mirror room. But I have a suspicion that the Master may have done something too.

That was my thought as well...and I'm excited about the Master showing back up...she's pretty intimidating.

I loved Sunday night's fight scenes.  Every single one was a work of art.  Particularly loved the first one with the billowy, transparent sheets and the Butterflies hopping around in their blue tutus.  The visual of it is frankly stunning.  I haven't seen anything like it before in my life.  It's like a Bruce Lee movie had a baby with a Merchant/Ivory film and threw in some 80's MTV for good measure.

Posted (edited)

I was pretty disappointed by the finale.  Quinn could have made sure that Sonny was dead after dropping the bomb on him but doesn't, so Sonny's fine, then Sonny could have made sure Quinn was dead but didn't which of course got Veil (sp) killed.  And I get that the show is fantastical in the plausibility of the fighting, but I feel like it's typically been pretty realistic about what kinds of blows are killing blows.  But in this final fight Sonny throws a sword through the center of Quinn's chest near the heart and yet Quinn is able to fight on no problem.  

Anyone know what exactly Baggi (sp) was able to activate at the end?  It's like he found an old radio outpost that could be activated, but I don't understand to what end.  

Edited by Triskan

If I interpreted the beeps correctly, I'm pretty sure it was a sequence of numbers; 4, 8, 15, 16, 23 and 42; repeated over and over...

;)

Yeah Quinn not finishing off or capturing Sunny after the explosion doesn't make sense.  Plus Quinn stabbed Sunny in the side with a sai, which Sunny ignores, but Biaji gets stabbed in the same location with a pair of scissors and seems to die and Veil and Quinn both die from one thrust of the same weapon.

It appears that Biaje used the book and compass unlocked a frequency or encoded message that was broadcast from the tower presumably going to Azra, the city MK and maybe all the others with his "gift"  originate from.     Biaji thinks he is saving the world by sending the message, but we don't know from who or what; the abbots maybe or the Widow or something else.  

2 minutes ago, DivisionByZero said:

If I interpreted the beeps correctly, I'm pretty sure it was a sequence of numbers; 4, 8, 15, 16, 23 and 42; repeated over and over...

;)

So the Smoke monster makes their eyes go black.

Posted (edited)

On 5/22/2017 at 2:22 PM, DivisionByZero said:

;)

Well-played.

Oh, and Sonny takes a fire arrow to the chest which he's largely unharmed by.  I think why all of this got to me was they were probably going for trying to make it the most epic fight of the season or something, but this stuff gave it the opposite effect for me.

Kind of curious what the conflicts are in the coming season with Quinn and Ryder gone.  Can't tell if they're setting the Widow / Minerva up to be the big bad or if she'll remain a more grey character.  

Edited by Triskan