College Football 2015-2016: Playoffs?!?! Edition

sperry

I'm going to go ahead and post my predictions for any bowl/playoff game involving two p5 teams (as well as interesting other ones):

Miami vs. Washington State:  42-31 Wash St.  Too much offense from the pirate.

Indiana vs. Duke:  48-38 Indiana.

UCLA vs. Nebraska: 34-24 UCLA.  Both teams embarrassed to be here, UCLA wins on talent in a terrible game.

North Carolina vs. Baylor:  Not sure what the status on Jarrett Stidham is. If he plays, I expect Baylor to win. If not, UNC drubs Baylor's wide receiver playing QB.

LSU-Tech: 45-38 LSU.  This is one of the most interesting matchups out there.  Texas Tech has a great offense.  They have one of the worst run defenses I've ever seen, while LSU has a great running back, and nothing else on offense. I expect this game to play out like the Texas-Texas Tech game on Thanksgiving, but LSU's defnese is a little better than Texas's, so they get a couple more stops than Tech and pull it out.  I'd be shocked if Fournette runs for under 300 yards in this game. He may make a run at Samaje Perine's single game rushing record.

NC State vs. Mississippi State. 38-27 Mississippi St.  I haven't seen NC State plya one time this year, so kind of shooting in the dark here.  Both teams have lost to everyone good they've played, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt to a bad SEC team over a bad ACC team.

Texas A&M vs. Louisville: 31-27. Louisville has been much more competitive against the good teams they've played, and they have a significant coahcing advantage. Texas A&M is a mess.

USC vs. Wisconsin: 35-17 USC.  USC has too much talent, Wisconsin is not good.

Houston vs. Florida St.: 34-27 Houston.  This is a much bigger game for Houston than FSU, and I just haven't been impressed with FSU.

Oklahoma vs. Clemson: 48-41 Oklahoma.  Yes, this is a homer pick.  I think this is one of the closest matchups of the bowl season.

Alabama vs. Michigan St.: 23-13 Alabama.  A punt fest. Bama ultimately rides their superior run game to pull away in the second half.

Northwestern vs. Tenessessee: 17-13 Northwestern.  This NW team has pulled out a million close games, while Tennessee has been on the losing end almost every time. Not sure if that's variance that will regress to the mean, or there are end game reasons that Northwestern closes much better.

Michigan vs. Florida: 28-10 Michigan.  Florida  is a disaster offensively, and Michigan will have no problem shutting them down.

Notre Dame vs. Ohio State: 41-14 Ohio State.  The key here is motviation. If Urban can convince his guys to show up, they absolutely drub a mediocre Notre Dame team.  If everyone has a foot out the door to the league, different story.  Meyer's 2009 Florida team didn't quit though, so I'll go with Ohio State.

Stanford Iowa: 24-13 Stanford.  Stanford's athleticism advantage eventually pulls away from Iowa.

Oklahoma State vs. Ole Miss:  35-17 Ole MIss.  OSU kind of backdoored their way into this game with Baylor's loss to texas.  OSU has had a nice season, but they were not a legit 10 win team. Ole Miss rolls.

Penn State vs. Georgia: 23-14 Georgia.  Two programs with no offense, Georgia's athleticism advantage takes the day.

Kansas State vs. Arkansas: 38-24 Arkansas.  Even with the ridiculous coaching advantage, Kansas State just doesn't have the talent to hang in there.

Oregon vs. TCU: This is the second closest bowl matchup in my mind. Going to go 42-38 Oregon, but this is a coinflip in my estimation.

West Virginia vs. Arizona Sate: 35-31 WVU.  West Virignia is no great shakes, but Arizona State is a disaster.

Championship game: Oklahoma 38, Alabama 24.  Oklahoma's offense is too dynamic, Alabama's is too one dimensional. OU has a lot of opportunity to create mismatches with backs and receivers covered by Alabama's huge run stopping linebackers. OU has excellent corners, and can load the box against Alabama's run game.

Sark has filed a wrongful termination suit against USC and seems to be saying he should have been protected by the American with Disabilities Act.  I won't be surprised if this gets attention beyond college football.

Sark has filed a wrongful termination suit against USC and seems to be saying he should have been protected by the American with Disabilities Act.  I won't be surprised if this gets attention beyond college football.

Beat me to this. And suing them for $30 million to boot. The article I read said that employees can be fired if the use of alcohol affects their job though, so with him showing up drunk to work, not sure what where this is going to go. I think he's screwing himself from ever getting hired again for any HC/coordinator opportunity though with this lawsuit.

And from the bowl games, I absolutely love how Pitt was passed over by multiple bowls with ACC ties and dropped into the 2nd tier of ACC bowl tie-ins, despite having the 4th best record in the conference.

Not sure if this is relevant, but an OU football player, Dusty Dvoracek, got a 6th year of eligibility from the NCAA for medical reasons, and the medical reason was alcoholism. Which was laughable since Dvoracek wasn't an alcoholic, he was just an asshole college kid who beat people up when he drank. But still.

Not sure if this is relevant, but an OU football player, Dusty Dvoracek, got a 6th year of eligibility from the NCAA for medical reasons, and the medical reason was alcoholism. Which was laughable since Dvoracek wasn't an alcoholic, he was just an asshole college kid who beat people up when he drank. But still.

Sark wasn't an alcoholic either.  He just got drunk before important team functions. 

I'm half kidding.

ETA:  I'm rooting for this to take Haden's star down a bit for reasons I can't entirely explain.

If Sarkisian ever hoped to get a coaching job again, he just shot himself in both feet.

True, but there are worse things than having 30mil and doing broadcasting for the rest of your life.

True, but there are worse things than having 30mil and doing broadcasting for the rest of your life.

Not sure how he ever sees a broadcast booth, but who knows.  Ray Lewis made it into broadcasting, after all.  As for the $30 mil...my totally uninformed guess is that he's risking a lot here - on the face of things, it seems like they had very good cause to fire him...and whatever money he's made already could all go to lawyers.

Eh. He has a point. Getting fired while taking a leave of absence to get treatment for a disability is a pretty big deal. Not saying they didn't have cause, but they might not have legal cause.

Eh. He has a point. Getting fired while taking a leave of absence to get treatment for a disability is a pretty big deal. Not saying they didn't have cause, but they might not have legal cause.

Being an alcoholic is not a disability, it's a lack of character. I say that as a former addict turned alcoholic. You've seen my drunken rants.

Seriously, being fucked up at work (again, speaking from experience) is a firing offense if ever there was one. If they really have 'we will fire you if you show up drunk again' in writing, the guy can go fuck himself.

Archived