College Football 2015-2016: Playoffs?!?! Edition

sperry

The state of California classifies being an alcoholic as a disability. No lie.

I know... (not California specifically, just that it has been classified as a disease by the AMA) and it makes me want to drink. I've worked with people who have actual diseases and disabilities, the physical ability to pick up a bottle is something they'd love to have. Let alone putting it down.

Like I said, I went to work high as fuck far too many times in my heyday and I like to think I had the shred of self respect required to not sue my boss if I'd been caught and rightfully fired. 

Let me for a moment put aside / bracket the issue of what alcoholism is.

The law does seem to say it's a disability.  So from a purely legal perspective this is fascinating.  I am no expert, but I could see the timing of the firing that I mentioned earlier really coming back to nail USC and Haden.  Even if Sark had fucked up to that point, he was, at the moment he was on that plane, doing "the right thing" and what society seems to expect from him.  If the law says that he was seeking treatment for a disability that is protected I can easily see how USC gets bit there.

Here's a somewhat lengthy piece in Fortune today about the situation.  As the piece says, we've not heard USC's story yet, but Sark's side of things suggests that Haden was quite unsympathetic in this process and that Sark had even asked for time before shit got real.  If that's true, given the legal status of substance abuse as a disability, USC could be proper-fucked, and Haden could end up being not just the guy who hired Sark but the guy who made Sark's firing a disaster too. 

Could this shit even go to the Supreme Court? 

It actually feels to me like the law is pretty clearly in Sark's favor but that society's stance for a USC football coach is like "the hell!?!," so there's a conflict there.

How is that criminal behavior? 

But I get the point that most of society thinks that a coach showing up intoxicated is a fireable offense.  It's just that if it's technically a disability, it might not be. 

How is that criminal behavior? 

But I get the point that most of society thinks that a coach showing up intoxicated is a fireable offense.  It's just that if it's technically a disability, it might not be. 

If you showed up to work intoxicated, that's PI. IF you drove to work while intoxicated, or drove home from work while intoxciated, that's DUI. Both are criminal offenses.

What's PI?  Pass interference?  Public intoxication? 

What makes it public and punishable. 

And there's no indication at this time that there was any driving of a vehicle.  It wouldn't surprise me to learn that Sark did some driving, but we have no suggestion that he actually did, so we shouldn't insinuate.

But hell, that kind of gets to the crux of the issue.  If one is legally protected as having a disability for showing up to work in an altered state, what about driving?

Couldn't they fire him for repeated criminal behavior, i.e. public intoxication and DUI every time he showed up to work hammered?

No.

Having drinks or even having intoxication in public is not a crime. You have to be drunk and disorderly to be charged. And even then, one of the defenses is that you were acting in a disorderly manner because of something else - like, say, a sports event. 

Driving under the influence only is a crime if your BAC is above a certain level. There's no sign of that. 

Mostly, he can't be fired for criminal behavior because he was never, ever charged with a crime. He was never arrested. He was never brought in or accused. 

So SBNation is doing a tale of the tape for every bowl game. Want to know why Alabama is going to rip the hell out of MSU? Here's why. Seriously, look at those defensive numbers vs. Michigan State. Ouch. 

I can see Connor Cook getting a few heroics, but largely it's going to be Alabama not letting MSU do essentially anything for large swaths of the game, Alabama getting steady success on standard downs and occasional big plays on passing downs, and enough points. 

He can't win this lawsuit right? I mean, judges are retarded as fuck sometimes but... I mean, c'mon! Right!?!

It's not about winning, most lawsuits arent, it's about forcing a settlement (big money), and forcing Haden out (revenge). A settlement will probably cost usc 10 to 20 million, and they can't capitulate to quickly or the price comes in at the high end. Right when they're about to spend 90 million in cash on the coliseum.

Haden done fucked up, as he has in every aspect of this job, and the lawsuit will be the only lever that can force him out.

Interestingly, the issues at play: ADA vs student endangerment is hot enough that there will probably be significant outside interest. What's more important, an intoxicated coach making on field decisions that effect the well being of his players or the ada protecting the job of said intoxicated person? I wouldn't be surprised to see the parents of any usc player injured in this year's Arizona state game (sark was allegedly drunk during the game) to sue usc and or sark.

Bad year for my teams, sark is an alcoholic, mauk is a cokehead. Oy, bring on 2017.

Derrick Henry wins the Heisman.  Well-deserved. He's definitely the best back Alabama has had under Saban, and dominated in the worst offensive situation any of those backs has played in. Also seems like a good kid, and have never heard about him getting in trouble.

Something I've been thinking about since hearing the terrifying news that Missouri interviewed sonny dukes is thus:

Jeff tedford was Cals all time winningest coach in history, what value did they gain/lose by replacing him with Sonny Dykes?

Cal sure taught Tedford a well deserved lesson, Amiright? How dare a successful coach have a winning record 80% of the time, amiright? Coaches should be punished for that kind of failure, amiright! Hoorah! New coach will be better forsure! Totally unpossible they might turn in average or below average results!

Just ask nebraska, they know important it is to teach coaches a lesson about how unacceptable it is to have lots of wins!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, just watched the Independence Bowl...er...the "Camping World Independence Bowl".  Entertaining, and I'm glad Beamer is going out with a win...but it kind of symbolizes the last few years.  Get up by 24 points...and we still have to sweat out the last few minutes.  Anyway, I'm happy Beamer got the win, but I'm also ready to see how the Justin Fuente era goes.

Clemson 45

Oklahoma 44

Watson pulls off late game heroics to pull the upset (even though Clemson is ranked higher everyone is picking Oklahoma to win the whole thing)

Alabama 31

Michigan St. 14

Probably won't even be that close. MSU is outclassed here

Alabama 35

Clemson 27

Alabama starts slow and Clemson comes out guns blazing but the Alabama defense makes some big plays and then rides Henry to victory

We bought a zook!

I'm sure y'all have the receipt and can get Kelly now, right?

Also, Trevone Boykin was arrested for assaulting a police officer after going out drinking after curfew. He is suspended.

NY6 predictions (minus Houston/FSU since it's already started):

Oklahoma over Clemson 45-34. Feels like the pick du jour, which often means the opposite will occur. But OU is on fire right now offensively and I don't think Clemson has the firepower to match them. 

Bama over MSU 34-20. Will be close for a half or 3 quarters but Bama will pull away late.

Ohio St. over Notre Dame 38-20. Big talent gap here, plus Urb's teams usually come up big in the postseason.

Stanford over Iowa 35-27. Should be a close game, and Iowa will be fired up for the Rose Bowl, but Stanford has a much stronger resume and seems like a better team overall.

Ole Miss over Oklahoma St 42-31. This has all the makings of a shootout, as both teams can score while the defenses are questionable. In the end, OM has too many weapons.

How did Oklahoma not know about the legendary 32 to 42 hookup for Clemson this year?

ETA: That was the most impressive 2 yard sack I've ever seen a QB take.

ETA2: How is that intentional grounding? The defensive player tipped the ball in front of the line of scrimmage...

Archived