Awards Season 2016: Movie edition (Update: BAFTA Winners, Oscar Noms, SPIRIT Winners)

Mladen

So the time has come for Hollywood to choose "its best and whitest". And for the third year in the row, it is on me to post this thread. 2015 was quite a treat for movie-goers. The movies shown his year, per usual, have been absolutely great, with some truly pushing the boundaries of the art of cinematography. This year might also be the year where the Academy and other awarding bodies (SAG, HFPA etc) might give the finger to the studios in relentless fights for the prizes where the words "category fraud" have been thrown more than ordinary - O'Russel somehow managed to make comedy out of "Joy", Weinstein has been campaigning Rooney Mara in Supporting Actress race for "Carol", Alicia Vikander has also been between Supporting and Lead in "The Danish Girl", Jacob Tremblay, like the already mentioned ladies, has been also pushed ti Supporting category for his performance in "Room". The things basically went out of control, but if a movie star like Julia Roberts hadn't the power behind herself to stand up and don't allow the category fraud, most certainly Mara, Vikander and Tremblay won't have it. That is why we have pundits to do so.

The December started with the usual awards from various critics associations like NBR, LA and NY, giving us at least what we can expect critics loved this year (don't confuse them with the Academy, since we know what happened with Birdman/Boyhood last year) and the SAG is announcing the nominations tomorrow kicking the season. So, what do we have here...

BEST PICTURE

In a such good year, everyone has their favorites and the race might be all over the place. The critics darling "Spotlight", "Carol", "Brooklyn" and "Room" are all expected to be among 10 nominees, while the blockbusters "Mad Max: The Fury Road" and "The Martian" might be the choice of members of technical categories. "Steve Jobs" started great, but failed on box office, a lot is expected of Inarritu/DiCaprio's "The Revenant", while David O'Russel's flick of the year is always a contender. 

BEST DIRECTOR

The one category that is always connected with the Best Picture proves that you can't make a good movie without good director. Basically, all the directors of the Best Picture nominees are in the play here. The biggest chances have Tom McCarthy for "Spotlight", Riddley Scott for "The Martian", Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu for "The Revenant" and Todd Haynes for "Carol". George Miller did amazing job in "Mad Max", Spielberg hopes to get in with "The Bridge of Spies", O'Russel with "Joy" and Danny Boyle with "Steve Jobs".

BEST ACTOR

The 2015 might be the year where DiCaprio finally gets his trophy. His role in "The Revenant" has been welcomed by critics, saying he is amazing. His competition - Michael Fassbender in "Steve Jobs". Fassbender stars in the biopic which is usually catnip for Academy voters (Meryl Streep, Colin Firth being some of the latest winners). Matt Damon gathered quite the buzz for "The Martian", Eddie Redmayne was far more compelling in "The Danish Girl" than in his last year's Oscar-winning role. Johnny Depp seems to be a contender in "Black Mass" rounding the first 5. Ian McKellen for "Mr Holmes", Michael Caine for "Youth", Will Smith for "Concussion", Bryan Cranston for "Trumbo" and Michael B. Jordan for "Creed" are also possible contenders.

BEST ACTRESS

The usually weaker race in two leading categories, this year the category seems so stacked that it might be the best line-up since God knows when. It all started in Cannes when Cate Blanchett and Rooney Mara have been warmly welcomed by the French, with Mara getting the Palme d'Or. Blanchett, the bigger star of the two, has been named the Lead and Mara pushed to Supporting Actress race in order to evade the split of the votes. But even though Blanchett has been seen as nothing-less-than-perfect in "Carol", the long shadow of "Blue Jasmine" still lingers and her third Oscar at the age of 46 is rather unlikely. Especially having in mind that at a certain point, Blanchett was her own biggest competitor, having two brilliant performances in a single year (Mary Mapes in "Truth" and Carol Aird in "Carol"). Another Oscar darling, Jennifer Lawrence, is expected to make the cut. According to the old "if it is working, don't fix it" rule, Lawrence/O'Russel movie is what is generally seen as favorable in Oscar odds. But the real fight is between two young actresses starring in independent movies - Brie Larson for "Room" and Saoirse Ronan for "Brooklyn". Both actresses are great and unlike Blanchett and Lawrence, don't have the Oscar to be considered passable. A lot has been expected from Carey Mulligan and "Suffragette" but the movie got lost right after its premiere. Taking the fifth spot became veteran bloodbath with Charlotte Rampling ("45 years"), Lily Tomlin ("Grandma"), Dame Maggie Smith ("Lady in the Van") fighting. One should not forget Charlize Theron and her role in "Mad Max" and Emily Blunt in "Siccario". As I have said, this race was never more interesting and that is without throwing Rooney Mara and Alicia Vikander in the mix.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Micheal Keaton has been the front-runner with his co-star Mark Ruffalo for "Spotlight". Idris Elba was amazing in "Beasts of No Nation", Mark Rylance in "The Bridge of Spies", but it is Sylvester Stalone in "Creed" what is by far the most interesting about this race. Who would have thought that Stalone (or Rocky) would have ever had the chances of getting anywhere near Oscars. Miracles do happen. Lastly, Tom Hardy is considered to be a huge thing in "The Revenant" and Jacob Tremblay's lead performance is hopefully enough to bring his Supporting Actor nomination.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

The two obvious lead performances - Mara for "Carol" and Vikander for "The Danish Girl" have been pushed here for the sake of their costars, making this race a bit more interesting. Without these two, Kate Winslet have the great chance of grabbing another Oscar for "Steve Jobs". But Jennifer Jason Leigh for "The Hateful Eight", Jane Fonda in "Youth" and Joan Allen in "Room" are all considered likely nominees, with Elizabeth Banks ("Love and Mercy") and Kirsten Stewart ("Clouds of Sils Maria") are also a good bet.

Overall, it seems that "Spotlight", "Carol", "The Martian" and "The Revenant" will do great with Academy proving that once again, we have a great year for movie-goers. the versatility of the movies might be the best thing, proving once and for all, that we indeed live in another "Hollywood's Golden Age".

SIDENOTE: The thread will be constantly updated with the news from important awarding bodies (SAG, Golden Globes, BAFTA and Critics Choice Awards). The TV edition of the same thread is in making.

I always hate how much this always turns into a popularity contest. But it does stamp the movies, actors, directors, etc. with approval, so it makes it relevant since it does shape my movie-going experience.

I haven't watched many movies this year, of those I have, have a few cents to contribute:

I think Inside Out is likely to be considered for some of the non-animation awards. From what I can tell, it resonated with a lot of people. Creed was also very well done imo. The cast was the strongest thing about the movie, and I thought the script was really strong, so that should tell you just how impressed I was with the cast. BUT, ever since they overlooked Michael B. Jordan in Fruitvale Station (2013) (I'm guessing since his star didn't shine quite as brightly back then), I'd be very surprised if he got a single nomination this year. I personally found his performance in Frutivale Station to be better [and I think that was the year Bradley Cooper was in the mix for Silver Linings Playbook]. Recently, I've only seen Stallone in the Expandables franchise, so this was a very welcome and pleasant surprise.

Vikander is someone I think has a lustrous career ahead of her. Watched two of her movies: Testament of Youth and Ex-Machina, and thought she was really good in both of them. I refuse to acknowledge that I watched Seventh Son. 2 hours wasted, 2 hours wasted. Anyway, the latter of these somewhat acclaimed movies has the stench of being a genre film while the former doesn't have the pull of big names. The one review I read on The Danish Girl favoured her more than it did Redmayne. Then again, the reviewer was already peeved that a cis-gender heterosexual male was playing a trans-woman. That's another thing I always ask myself--is Hollywood unable to find trans people? I loved Jared Leto in Dallas Buyers Club, but I always wondered if they had even tried to find a trans-woman for that role. I've had this debate with some people on another board and one suggested that this might open up a whole new can of worms. That is, in designating trans roles solely to trans people, should cis roles then be designated solely to cis people? I don't know, I still think Hollywood should at least try.:dunno: The Wachowskis were certainly able to find Jamie Clayton for Sense8.

The one review I saw for Joy wasn't very glowing. It also currently holds 58% or something like that on RT. You're probably right, though, the Lawrence-Russell combo is likely to stamp the movie with heaps of approval.

I would love to see Abraham Attah [Beasts of No Nation] in the running for the best actor category. He was really strong; but he doesn't have the Weinstein machine or super-stardom to boost him, so I doubt it will happen...I can still hope though, can't I?

Haven't watched Grandma, but if Tomlin is in it, them I'm in.

I haven't had the time to check out the official South African entry for the best foreign language category. Don't even know what it is yet, but with something as apparently powerful as Son of Saul...yeah, not holding my breath.

*OT: Mladen,

I blame you for making me watch Scandal. You're the worst. Ever.:P

I always hate how much this always turns into a popularity contest. But it does stamp the movies, actors, directors, etc. with approval, so it makes it relevant since it does shape my movie-going experience.

I mean, it is not like this hasn't always been a popularity contest. Yes, the Oscars do stamp the industry products, but winning an Oscar, as Steve Coogan said, has become the equivalent of becoming a president of USA. It takes that amount of effort. I am more annoyed to what extent some ahem*Weinstein*ahem are prepared to go for this and how sometimes they become completely irrelevant for one's career (just ask poor Halle Berry)

But as you said, the more important thing is how they impact our cinematic experience, especially for us, foreigners. There are always some independent flick that becomes proficient in Oscar pools that otherwise you wouldn't notice.

I think Inside Out is likely to be considered for some of the non-animation awards. From what I can tell, it resonated with a lot of people. Creed was also very well done imo. The cast was the strongest thing about the movie, and I thought the script was really strong, so that should tell you just how impressed I was with the cast. BUT, ever since they overlooked Michael B. Jordan in Fruitvale Station (2013) (I'm guessing since his star didn't shine quite as brightly back then), I'd be very surprised if he got a single nomination this year. I personally found his performance in Frutivale Station to be better [and I think that was the year Bradley Cooper was in the mix for Silver Linings Playbook]. Recently, I've only seen Stallone in the Expandables franchise, so this was a very welcome and pleasant surprise.

Small correction: In 2013, Cooper had the role in American Hustle, not SLP. I always find very interesting when not-so-ordinary Oscar movies are thrown in the mix. Inside-Out is certainly one of them and a lot of people expect it to make the cut. I have seen the movie and while I understand why people liked it, I am not that impressed by artistry of it.

As for Jordan, the problem is that in 2013, he was a new face. Now, he is not-so-new face, with that amazing Fantastic Four movie behind him. And just like the good year can be beneficial and can make a person visible, the negativity of certain projects can impact the voters.

I can't wait to see Creed and check whether both Jordan and Stallone are that good. Obviously, mentioning Stallone in this conversation is a major thing. Never have I thought it could happen...

Vikander is someone I think has a lustrous career ahead of her. Watched two of her movies: Testament of Youth and Ex-Machina, and thought she was really good in both of them. I refuse to acknowledge that I watched Seventh Son. 2 hours wasted, 2 hours wasted.

Vikander had amazing year. Add "Man from UNCLE" and you had probably the busiest woman in the industry. Yeah, Seventh Son was hilariously bad. But the worst part about it was the cast - such talented group of people... So wasted.

Interestingly enough, Vikander is getting more traction for Ex Machina than for The Danish Girl. So far, she has only been awarded for EM.

The one review I saw for Joy wasn't very glowing. It also currently holds 58% or something like that on RT. You're probably right, though, the Lawrence-Russell combo is likely to stamp the movie with heaps of approval.

Yeah, Joy is getting rather mixed reviews, but it is still O'Russel/Lawrence combo so Academy will most likely eat it. It may be sad especially in a year of such great movies.

SCREEN ACTORS GUILD NOMINATIONS

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role
BRYAN CRANSTON / Dalton Trumbo – “TRUMBO” (Bleecker Street)
JOHNNY DEPP / James “Whitey” Bulger – “BLACK MASS” (Warner Bros. Pictures)
LEONARDO DiCAPRIO / Hugh Glass – “THE REVENANT” (20th Century Fox)
MICHAEL FASSBENDER / Steve Jobs – “STEVE JOBS” (Universal Pictures)
EDDIE REDMAYNE / Einar Wegener/Lili Elbe – “THE DANISH GIRL” (Focus Features)

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role
CATE BLANCHETT / Carol Aird – “CAROL” (The Weinstein Company)
BRIE LARSON / Ma – “ROOM” (A24)
HELEN MIRREN / Maria Altmann – “WOMAN IN GOLD” (The Weinstein Company)
SAOIRSE RONAN / Eilis – “BROOKLYN” (Fox Searchlight Pictures)
SARAH SILVERMAN / Laney Brooks – “I SMILE BACK” (Broad Green Pictures)

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role
CHRISTIAN BALE / Michael Burry – “THE BIG SHORT” (Paramount Pictures)
IDRIS ELBA / Commandant – “BEASTS OF NO NATION” (Netflix)
MARK RYLANCE / Abel Rudolph – “BRIDGE OF SPIES” (DreamWorks)
MICHAEL SHANNON / Rick Carver – “99 HOMES” (Broad Green Pictures)
JACOB TREMBLAY / Jack – “ROOM” (A24)

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role
ROONEY MARA / Therese Belivet – “CAROL” (The Weinstein Company)
RACHEL McADAMS / Sacha Pfeiffer – “SPOTLIGHT” (Open Road Films)
HELEN MIRREN / Hedda Hopper – “TRUMBO” (Bleecker Street)
ALICIA VIKANDER / Gerda Wegener – “THE DANISH GIRL” (Focus Features)
KATE WINSLET / Joanna Hoffman – “STEVE JOBS” (Universal Pictures)

Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture
BEASTS OF NO NATION (Netflix)
THE BIG SHORT (Paramount Pictures)
SPOTLIGHT (Open Road Films)
STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON (Universal Pictures)
TRUMBO (Bleecker Street)

Thanks. All of Bradley's roles merge into one person in my head, and somehow all of them end up in SLP.:P I swear I'll never understand what the Academy sees in David O. Russell.

I'm pleasantly surprised that the Netflix production actually pulled it off. They must be having a party right now, especially considering how poorly the movie did in cinemas.

I was more excited about the TV nominations, tbh. That quickly disappointed me since the names were very familiar, with only a few exceptions. Was very, very, very happy to see Rami Malek get a nod for Mr Robot.

GOLDEN GLOBE NOMINATIONS

Best Motion Picture, Drama
Carol
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Revenant
Room
Spotlight

Best Motion Picture, Comedy 
The Big Short
Joy
The Martian
Spy
Trainwreck

Best Director – Motion Picture
Todd Haynes, Carol
Alejandro Iñárritu, The Revenant
Tom McCarthy, Spotlight
George Miller, Mad Max
Ridley Scott, The Martian

Best Actress in a Motion Picture, Drama
Cate Blanchett, Carol
Brie Larson, Room
Rooney Mara, Carol
Saoirse Ronan, Brooklyn
Alicia Vikander, The Danish Girl

Best Actress in a Motion Picture, Comedy 
Jennifer Lawrence, Joy
Melissa McCarthy, Spy
Amy Schumer, Trainwreck
Maggie Smith, Lady in the Van
Lily Tomlin, Grandma

Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture
Jane Fonda, Youth
Jennifer Jason Leigh, The Hateful Eight
Helen Mirren, Trumbo
Alicia Vikander, Ex Machina
Kate Winslet, Steve Jobs

Best Actor in a Motion Picture, Drama
Bryan Cranston, Trumbo
Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant
Michael Fassbender, Steve Jobs
Eddie Redmayne, The Danish Girl
Will Smith, Concussion

Best Actor in a Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy
Christian Bale, The Big Short
Steve Carell, The Big Short
Matt Damon, The Martian
Al Pacino, Danny Collins
Mark Ruffalo, Infinitely Polar Bear

Best Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture
Paul Dano, Love & Mercy
Idris Elba, Beasts of No Nation
Mark Rylance, Bridge of Spies
Michael Shannon, 99 Homes
Sylvester Stallone, Creed

Best Screenplay – Motion Picture
Emma Donoghue, Room
Tom McCarthy, Josh Singer, Spotlight
Charles Randolph, Adam McKay, The Big Short
Aaron Sorkin, Steve Jobs
Quentin Tarantino, The Hateful Eight

Best Animated Feature Film
Anomalisa
The Good Dinosaur
Inside Out
The Peanuts Movie
Shaun the Sheep Movie

Best Original Song – Motion Picture
“Love Me Like You Do” 50 Shades of Grey
“One Kind of Love” Love and Mercy
“See You Again” Furious 7
“Simple Song No. 3” Youth
“Writing’s on the Wall” Spectre

The Martian was a comedy?

LOL, yes. It is interesting how HFPA made entire story of pushing Mara and Vikander (for "The Danish Girl") in Lead Actress category, and somehow saw The Martian and Joy as comedies. But leave it to Globes to make their list look more like an invitation to it party of the season than actual nominations.

Interestingly enough, this is the second televised award body that didn't nominate Charlotte Rampling.

^yeah. It's ridiculous. I haven't watched "Joy" but from what I gathered from reviews, it's drama.

But I also don't like it when movies are divided and subdivided into drama, comedy, etc. The only division I understand is animation since it has a very specific target audience. So the filmmakers are limited in that case, and the performances are voices. So the criteria HAS to be different.

Unless it's television, the comedy/drama business is something I don't support. It's either a good movie or it isn't. If they want to expand the scope, just make it a 10 nomination category. I'm quite a big fan of Indian cinema but the awards season is quite ridiculous. You have best actress, best actress people's choice, best actress critics' choice, best actress popular choice, best female debut...All of it for the same ceremony. Ends up being meaningless IMO.

Imo 2015 hasn't really been a good year for film. It's not depressingly terrible, but after the high that was 2014, I expected a bit more. I have yet to see a lot contenders and I'm sure some of those will be good, but if I had to pick a best film of the year, I know there are only two real choices for me right now, namely Mad Max: Fury Road (gasp, a blockbuster) and Son of Saul. There might have been films, like Slow West and Ex Machina, which I enjoyed just a little more, but those two - vastly different - films should slug it out this year. Son of Saul will probably make minced meat out of anyone trying to oppose it in the foreign film categories, but Mad Max will probably be ignored. A shame really.

The Martian was a comedy?

It does seem ridiculous. I did like the film a lot and it did have some genuinely funny moments but it should clearly be in the drama category.

I know there are only two real choices for me right now, namely Mad Max: Fury Road (gasp, a blockbuster) and Son of Saul. There might have been films, like Slow West and Ex Machina, which I enjoyed just a little more, but those two - vastly different - films should slug it out this year. Son of Saul will probably make minced meat out of anyone trying to oppose it in the foreign film categories, but Mad Max will probably be ignored. A shame really.

I'm quite happy that Fury Road is at least getting nominations (and won an award a few days ago) even if I suspect in the end it'll get beaten by a more traditionally award-friendly type of film.

Imo 2015 hasn't really been a good year for film. It's not depressingly terrible, but after the high that was 2014, I expected a bit more. I have yet to see a lot contenders and I'm sure some of those will be good, but if I had to pick a best film of the year, I know there are only two real choices for me right now, namely Mad Max: Fury Road (gasp, a blockbuster) and Son of Saul. There might have been films, like Slow West and Ex Machina, which I enjoyed just a little more, but those two - vastly different - films should slug it out this year. Son of Saul will probably make minced meat out of anyone trying to oppose it in the foreign film categories, but Mad Max will probably be ignored. A shame really.

IDK, I have been rather pleased with the things that I have seen and the things that are announced to come. Basically, give me Blanchett in artsy movie and I am bought :) Mad Max was quite the treat and I am so glad critics are pushing this (the last people I would expect to be pushing this). Ex Machina was also a hauntingly beautiful movie and I am so glad Vikander is getting the needed recognition. I am waiting for The Revenant as it seems rather great for me.

Unless it's television, the comedy/drama business is something I don't support. It's either a good movie or it isn't. If they want to expand the scope, just make it a 10 nomination category. I'm quite a big fan of Indian cinema but the awards season is quite ridiculous. You have best actress, best actress people's choice, best actress critics' choice, best actress popular choice, best female debut...All of it for the same ceremony. Ends up being meaningless IMO.

I am also of the same opinion and would prefer if Globes would go with 10 movies instead doing it 5 in two categories. That way we would stop the nonsense like Tourist (poor Johnny Depp, being nominated for that, and missing for Black Mass)... But these things are in many ways ridiculous... Especially in a season like this, which is truly a messy business.

CRITICS CHOICE AWARDS NOMINATIONS

Best Picture
"The Big Short"
"Bridge of Spies"
"Brooklyn"
"Carol"
"Mad Max: Fury Road"
"The Martian"
"The Revenant"
"Room"
"Sicario"
"Spotlight"

"Star Wars: The Force Awakens"

Best Director
Todd Haynes, "Carol"
Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, "The Revenant"
Tom McCarthy, "Spotlight"
George Miller, "Mad Max: Fury Road"
Ridley Scott, "The Martian"
Steven Spielberg, "Bridge of Spies"

Best Actor
Bryan Cranston, "Trumbo"
Matt Damon, "The Martian"
Johnny Depp, "Black Mass"
Leonardo DiCaprio, "The Revenant"
Michael Fassbender, "Steve Jobs"
Eddie Redmayne, "The Danish Girl"

Best Actress
Cate Blanchett, "Carol"
Brie Larson, "Room"
Jennifer Lawrence, "Joy"
Charlotte Rampling, "45 Years"
Saoirse Ronan, "Brooklyn"
Charlize Theron, "Mad Max: Fury Road"

Best Supporting Actor
Paul Dano, "Love and Mercy"
Tom Hardy, "The Revenant"
Mark Ruffalo, "Spotlight"
Mark Rylance, "Bridge of Spies"
Michael Shannon, "99 Homes"
Sylvester Stallone, "Creed"

Best Supporting Actress
Jennifer Jason Leigh, "The Hateful Eight"
Rooney Mara, "Carol"
Rachel McAdams, "Spotlight"
Helen Mirren, "Trumbo"
Alicia Vikander, "The Danish Girl"
Kate Winslet, "Steve Jobs"

Best Original Screenplay
"Bridge of Spies"
"Ex Machina"
"The Hateful Eight"
"Inside Out"
"Spotlight"

Best Adapted Screenplay
"The Big Short"
"Brooklyn"
"The Martian"
"Room"
"Steve Jobs"

Best Animated Feature
"Anomalisa"
"The Good Dinosaur"
"Inside Out"
"The Peanuts Movie"
"Shaun the Sheep"

Best Foreign Language Film
"The Assassin"
"Goodnight Mommy"
"Mustang"
"The Second Mother"
"Son of Saul"

Best Documentary Feature
"Amy"
"Cartel Land"
"Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief"
"He Named Me Malala"
"The Look of Silence"
"Where to Invade Next"

Best Cinematography
"Carol"
"The Hateful Eight"
"The Martian"
"The Revenant"
"Sicario"

Best Costume Design
"Brooklyn"
"Carol"
"Cinderella"
"The Danish Girl"

Best Film Editing
"The Big Short"
"The Martian"
"The Revenant"
"Spotlight"

Best Hair & Makeup
"Black Mass"
"Carol"
"The Danish Girl"
"The Hateful Eight"
"The Revenant"

Best Production Design
"Bridge of Spies"
"Brooklyn"
"Carol"
"The Danish Girl"
"The Martian"

Best Song
"Fifty Shades of Grey" - "Love Me Like You Do"
"Furious 7" - "See You Again"
"The Hunting Ground" - "Til it Happens to You"
"Love and Mercy" - "One Kind of Love"
"Spectre" - "Writing's on the Wall"
"Youth" - "Simple Song #3"

Best Score
"Carol"
"The Hateful Eight"
"The Revenant"
"Sicario"
"Spotlight"

Best Visual Effects
"Ex Machina"
"Jurassic World"
"The Martian"
"The Revenant"
"The Walk"

Best Ensemble
"The Big Short"
"The Hateful Eight"
"Spotlight"
"Straight Outta Compton"
"Trumbo"

Best Young Actor/Actress
Abraham Attah, "Beasts of No Nation"
R.J. Cyler, "Me and Earl and the Dying Girl"
Shameik Moore, "Dope"
Milo Parker, "Mr. Holmes"
Jacob Tremblay, "Room"

Best Action Movie
"Furious 7"
"Jurassic World"
"Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation"
"Sicario"

Best Actor in an Action Movie
Daniel Craig, "Spectre"
Tom Cruise, "Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation"
Tom Hardy, "Mad Max: Fury Road"
Chris Pratt, "Jurassic Park"
Paul Rudd, "Ant-Man"

Best Actress in an Action Movie
Emily Blunt, "Sicario"
Rebecca Ferguson, "Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation"
Bryce Dallas Howard, "Jurassic World"
Jennifer Lawrence, "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 2"
Charlize Theron, "Mad Max: Fury Road"

Best Comedy
"The Big Short"
"Inside Out"
"Joy"
"Sisters"
"Spy"
"Trainwreck"

Best Actor in a Comedy
Christian Bale, "The Big Short"
Steve Carell, "The Big Short"
Robert De Niro, "The Intern"
Bill Hader, "Trainwreck"
Jason Statham, "Spy"

Best Actress in a Comedy
Tina Fey, "Sisters"
Jennifer Lawrence, "Joy"
Melissa McCarthy, "Spy"
Amy Schumer, "Trainwreck"
Lily Tomlin, "Grandma"

Best Sci-Fi/Horror Movie
"Ex Machina"
"It Follows"
"Jurassic World"
"The Martian"

I just saw Spotlight over the weekend, fantastic movie. Its a shame its actors mostly aren't getting nominated for anything because they were all great. I'd guess at least part of that comes from the fact that its hard to determine whether Keaton, Ruffalo, McAdams, and Brian d'Arcy James are supporting or leading actors (well, at least the first three; James has just as much screentime in the end, but is a much smaller name), and I suspect that classification difficulty hurts their nomination chances.

Wow, Mad Max and The Martian are getting some love. I'm glad.

Now we don't see Star Wars present, but I'm guessing that has to do with it not being pre-released to critics. Because I should hope that it's at least better than Jurrasic World, which is among the nominees for best sci-fi/horror movie.

Wow, Mad Max and The Martian are getting some love. I'm glad.

Now we don't see Star Wars present, but I'm guessing that has to do with it not being pre-released to critics. Because I should hope that it's at least better than Jurrasic World, which is among the nominees for best sci-fi/horror movie.

I am a bit curious about SW, especially because release date has little to do with this. After all, Joy also hasn't been released yet. The only explanation is that there wasn't a screening of the movie, hence, lack of nominations.

I just saw Spotlight over the weekend, fantastic movie. Its a shame its actors mostly aren't getting nominated for anything because they were all great. I'd guess at least part of that comes from the fact that its hard to determine whether Keaton, Ruffalo, McAdams, and Brian d'Arcy James are supporting or leading actors (well, at least the first three; James has just as much screentime in the end, but is a much smaller name), and I suspect that classification difficulty hurts their nomination chances.

Interestingly, Spotlight actors were getting traction UNTIL the televised awards were announced. I suppose that all the 4 mentioned above are still pretty much in the race for the main prize, but the lack of generated buzz during January awards is a bit troubling for them.

So glad Mad Max is getting all this love. Hope it walks away with the nontechnical awards.

Carol and Mad Max... My two darlings of the year...

I really hope Theron wins. I'm glad she's getting nominated, but she was incredible as furiosa and managed to steal the show doing a very atypical part.

I never expected Theron to go this far, because they generally don't like genre roles. I expect her to win the CCA Best Actress in Action Movie and I would adore to see her nominated for Oscar, but that win is a bit out of reach... 

Very interesting CCA nominations this year. Not even a mention of Emi darling GoT...and I must say rightfully so...imo it was the weakest of all five seasons and I have no idea why all the love. 

I only saw Mad Max after seeing how it got a lot of love in this award season and it is deserved. The movie is positively gorgeous. Theron is great, costumes, make up, cinematography all very high level. I hope it does well.

Everyone's new favorite commedy - Martian is also pleasant surprise. I find it refreshing when a positive movie gets recognition. It doesn't always have to be drama about rough childhood in eastern Europe during cold war the one that gets all the love. 

Archived