Football: The Lame Duck

AncalagonTheBlack

Well that was pathetic. I'm all for supporting the manager but clearly LVG's 'philosophy' is not working. Something has got to give. I have a sinking feeling that Mourinho could be on the verge of taking over,  although I'd much prefer Ancelotti. I think that we are fast approaching the point, if we are not there already, where the best thing would be to part ways with LVG.

A lot of penalties today.

I'm not surprised that Chelsea won. Yes, it was only Sunderland and yes it was an early goal from a corner, a scrappy goal and a peno, but it just felt like the players had sandbagged Mourinho (which he brings on himself) and would magically improve if he was sacked.

I am surprised though that United contrived to lose at home to Norwich. I have a soft spot for Norwich's playing style but they defend so poorly and put up little fight against big teams. The only positive for United is that Liverpool and Spurs dropped points in recent weeks so they have not been overtaken as their form deserves.

Well done Leicester. Beating an Everton who knew what to expect and should have been capable of nullifying shows that Leicester aren't going to fade without a fight. More penalties here helping them.

Well done Leicester. Beating an Everton who knew what to expect and should have been capable of nullifying shows that Leicester aren't going to fade without a fight. More penalties here helping them.

You are assuming Martinez is a manager capable of nullifying. 

There is no evidence to confirm this, but a lot of evidence showing him not caring. Sure, he should know, but going from his record, you would expect him not to - and, sadly, you would be correct.

I think he's at a crossroads. I've said earlier, in affect, that I doubt he'll be more than a mediocre manager. If he is to do better than mediocre, he will have to see his glaringly obvious blind spots, and do something about them. 

In a way, he's brilliant. He has gotten us Lukaku and Deulofeu. He has gotten a lot out of Barkley. He trusts Stones, and Stones is showing signs of maturing nicely. He can get a team to attack brilliantly. 

On the other hand, he is oblivious to the defects of his defence. Game after game, his teams are exposed at the back owing to his insistence of playing all-out attack. And, while I didn't see todays game, and thus can't say whether there were examples of it today, we are the worst team on set pieces in the league. We have scored one goal from set pieces this season. One. I don't know how many we've conceded, but they are legion. And Martinez seems quite unconcerned about it.

Given his ability to attract young talent and play good attacking football, I'd like him to stay and develop. But I'm not seeing any development defensively, and as long as there isn't, Martinez will never lead a team to the Champions League. He simply lacks the talent. 

It will be interesting to see where Pep goes after Bayern. Maybe it's because I'm compare it to how well he fit in Barca, but he didn't seem to fit that well in Bayern despite all the success.

Speaking of Barca, they are World Champions for this season. Suarez scores twice and Messi once for a 3-0 win over River Plate.

It will be interesting to see where Pep goes after Bayern. Maybe it's because I'm compare it to how well he fit in Barca, but he didn't seem to fit that well in Bayern despite all the success.

Speaking of Barca, they are World Champions for this season. Suarez scores twice and Messi once for a 3-0 win over River Plate.

I think it's all but confirmed he will join Man City. Mourinho going to United will make that fixture pretty insane.

and yeah Suarez just can't stop scoring. Guy has 46 goals, 28 assists in 61 competitive matches for Barca in 2015!

Grr argh, Ancellotti at Bayern increases the chances of that poisonous cunt Mourinho joining us

They weren't keen on him before he joined Chelsea. Why would they go for him after the debacle at Chelsea this season? 

They weren't keen on him before he joined Chelsea. Why would they go for him after the debacle at Chelsea this season? 

That's my thinking, but a lot of fans seem to favour him and that type of talk might swing the decision. Especially since the other favoured candidate is now spoken for and Guardiola will be a tough fight to get.

Firmino does not look up for this at all.

I genuinely didn't realise he was playing until you posted that.

If we do get Pep next year

Why the hell would Pep go to Madrid?

Anyway Mourinho rejecting Roma doesn't mean United have accepted him. Everyone knows he wants the job, that's not the part of the equation that needs to be proven.

Watford just completely out played Liverpool everywhere on the pitch that half. 

It honestly looked like a team from a higher division comfortably holding off some minnows.

Weird, Bayern have confirmed Ancelotti as successor for Guardiola. Like I said, I find it a bit surprising, but let's see how that pans out next year.

Assuming Guardiola will indeed sign for Manchester City, does that mean Pellegrini will sign for Chelski? And who will be the next one to sit the Real bench for a season or two.

Liverpool look more comfortable on the ball - as long as they don't cross midfield. 

Watford attack with a lot more purpose and agressiveness. They want to score. Liverpool ... well, they probably do want to score, it just doesn't look like it yet.

Watford are also a lot more direct in their approach.

Archived