Is Lady Dustin barking up the wrong tree?

rs1n

1. People's hatred can be irrational.

2. Whatever she feels about Starks, I'm sure she's way more pissed off at Boltons. For someone who is angry at Ned for failing to bring her husband's bones 15 years ago, I wonder how does she feel about a House whose member murdered her beloved nephew just a few years back.

1. People's hatred can be irrational.

2. Whatever she feels about Starks, I'm sure she's way more pissed off at Boltons. For someone who is angry at Ned for failing to bring her husband's bones 15 years ago, I wonder how does she feel about a House whose member murdered her beloved nephew just a few years back.

She hates Ramsay, and the feeling is mutual.

I think she respects Roose.

rs1n,

there is no reason that Roose has to stick around until they have found the Stark boys. If Roose doesn't even have Barbrey Dustin he has no one since he certainly doesn't have the Manderlys, the Umbers, the Cerwyns, the Tallharts, or the Hornwoods. Roose can be as threatening and as ruthless as he wants, he has to have some genuine allies besides Arnolf Karstark. I don't buy that Whoresbane is sincere in his support of Roose, and all those secondary houses who either declared for Roose or whose surviving men joined him at Winterfell (Cerwyn, Tallhart, Hornwood, etc.) wouldn't have done so if the Dustin and Ryswell support wouldn't have made Roose appear strong and victorious.

Barbrey ensuring that the Dustins/Ryswells stay out of the whole thing or declare for Stannis could have ruined Roose's whole plans even before he returned into the North simply because it would have dissuaded many of the other Northmen from joining or supporting Roose. Perhaps even Lord Wyman wouldn't have given the impression that he was submitting to Roose in such a scenario.

How do you know they only knew each other for half a year?

They should have been betrothed earlier and they were likely not strangers. 

They certainly weren't strangers, but the betrothal could not have gone on too long if there was a possibility of her marrying Ned up until he married Catelyn.  It's possible that they cared for each other very deeply.  I'm not saying that his death was nothing to her.  His death in Dorne after the war was won is a totally reasonable justification for hating Ned.  We just have to look at things in context.  It was a short marriage that effectively gave her a significant lordship.  Her people appear to be loyal to her, even though, technically, she has no claim.  Whether she is fueled by revenge or not, she has put herself in a good position.

She hates Ramsay, and the feeling is mutual.

I think she respects Roose.

I agree she does. And yet, Roose has surrounded himself with people what Barbrey absolutely hates and has ever reason to wish them ill (Ramsay and Freys). In any case - I don't believe we can take her alleged support for granted in any case. In fact, she may be the only Northern lord/lady whose motives are still unclear and whose allegiance is still a mystery.

rs1n,

there is no reason that Roose has to stick around until they have found the Stark boys. If Roose doesn't even have Barbrey Dustin he has no one since he certainly doesn't have the Manderlys, the Umbers, the Cerwyns, the Tallharts, or the Hornwoods. Roose can be as threatening and as ruthless as he wants, he has to have some genuine allies besides Arnolf Karstark. I don't buy that Whoresbane is sincere in his support of Roose, and all those secondary houses who either declared for Roose or whose surviving men joined him at Winterfell (Cerwyn, Tallhart, Hornwood, etc.) wouldn't have done so if the Dustin and Ryswell support wouldn't have made Roose appear strong and victorious.

Barbrey ensuring that the Dustins/Ryswells stay out of the whole thing or declare for Stannis could have ruined Roose's whole plans even before he returned into the North simply because it would have dissuaded many of the other Northmen from joining or supporting Roose. Perhaps even Lord Wyman wouldn't have given the impression that he was submitting to Roose in such a scenario.

We agree on the point that Roose pretty much has no true allies -- most of them seem to be begrudgingly supporting him. His only "true" allies might be the Lannisters (too weak, now, as L. Dustin points out). But your original issue was why they had not simply just killed Roose/Ramsay and be done with it. (You wrote: I'm very reluctant to believe that Barbrey Dustin is part of a Stark restoration conspiracy...Whatever that conspiracy is about it has to be way to convoluted if the actual goal is to get rid of Roose. A simple murder could ensure as much.) On the surface, it certainly does look like if they wanted to kill Roose, they could have. And yet they don't. But on the other hand, they also do not seem to be stalwart allies. My point was that perhaps we should not so readily dismiss the idea that L. Dustin and the rest of the north are biding their time to rid themselves of the Boltons because of reasons not clear to us (e.g. are the north not acting out against the Boltons/Freys yet because of a hostage situation of some sort -- as was the case for Wyman? or, since much of the north hold honor in such high regard it may be that they do want to take the Boltons out except they do not want yet another red wedding, or do not have clear, valid reasons without the presence of the real Stark children). So you're right, Roose has no reason to stick around until the real Starks show up. On the other hand, the northmen do. So until then, their only choice is to play along and begrudgingly give the Boltons their support (likewise with L. Dustin).

They certainly weren't strangers, but the betrothal could not have gone on too long if there was a possibility of her marrying Ned up until he married Catelyn.  It's possible that they cared for each other very deeply.  I'm not saying that his death was nothing to her.  His death in Dorne after the war was won is a totally reasonable justification for hating Ned.  We just have to look at things in context.  It was a short marriage that effectively gave her a significant lordship.  Her people appear to be loyal to her, even though, technically, she has no claim.  Whether she is fueled by revenge or not, she has put herself in a good position. 

Why not she stayed just because she loved her husband or this is her husband's hope?

Or their heir (some cousin) is way too young so she wanted to take care of their home?

Remind you, as far as we know, we only knew her father had two daughters, one was dead already. 

Technically she is also the heir for the Rills. 

She may stay for some powerful lordship, but she may stay for other emotional reasons. 

This is unsure.

Honestly, based on she never remarried and also hated Ned for the bones after so many years, I would say she indeed loved her husband and did not forget him at all. 

Why not she stayed just because she loved her husband or this is her husband's hope?

Or their heir (some cousin) is way too young so she wanted to take care of their home?

It's not really her decision.  There don't seem to be any other claimants coming forward, but if her bannermen (as it were) rejected her, she would have a hard time keeping her seat there.  Unless she had the backing of the Lord Paramount of the North.

I'm very reluctant to believe that Barbrey Dustin is part of a Stark restoration conspiracy. She Roose's most important ally in the entire North, effectively controlling both the Barrowlands and the Rills. Why the hell would Lady Barbrey have to pretend to back Roose if she was his secret enemy? Why not just refuse to back Roose at all? Why not arrange another Red Wedding in the North, this time with Roose, Ramsay, and the Freys being the victims?

Whatever that conspiracy is about it has to be way to convoluted if the actual goal is to get rid of Roose. A simple murder could ensure as much.

Perhaps she was waiting to see if Roose did indeed have the legitimate Arya? In the case of him having a real Stark, maybe Dustin would choose either not to go against him or to choose another tactic while he has the heir of Winterfell.

I think it's meant to be inferred that Lady Dustin is the type of person who'd complain about the snow falling but five seconds later complain about it ending because she didn't get a chance to build a snowman. Nothing is going to to make her happy. She's a chronic complainer who is mad at the world.

Ramsay forced Barbrey's sister into marriage, forced her to sign over her estates to him and then locked her up to starve to death. Scarcely irrational from that end.

Lady Hornwood is a Manderly not a ryswell by birth.

I agree that she hates Ramsay, this crime done to a widow like herself is one of the reasons why. He also murdered her nephew and former page.

I get the impression that while Brandon liked to fuck, he grew up with Lady Barbrey and probably intended to marry her but un knowing what happened between them, Rickard made the arrangements for Brandon and he obeyed. From the recollection of Rickard, he as a very strong leader, highly respected and was not one to be crossed.  Roose seemed to have been weary of upsetting him when he  tells Theon the story of how he Raped Ramsay's mom and knocked her up.

I think it's meant to be inferred that Lady Dustin is the type of person who'd complain about the snow falling but five seconds later complain about it ending because she didn't get a chance to build a snowman. Nothing is going to to make her happy. She's a chronic complainer who is mad at the world.

I really like this description of her. 

It's hard to say what her true motives are, but there is definitely more to her.

For lady Dustin I saw: She hates Catelyn for taking the two Starks from her (she doesn't even call her as Catelyn Stark),resents Ned for her husband,hates Ramsey for what he has done,hates the Freys for the Red Wedding,loved Brandon and wanted to become a Stark.Maybe Brandon's memories were awaken in Winterfell but hasn't a bad/good feeling for Roose/the other Starks.I think she wanted Theon to tell Ramsey what was told in the crypts to show the Boltons she is a true ally and weighs her options as Stannis gets stronger.

We agree on the point that Roose pretty much has no true allies -- most of them seem to be begrudgingly supporting him. His only "true" allies might be the Lannisters (too weak, now, as L. Dustin points out). But your original issue was why they had not simply just killed Roose/Ramsay and be done with it. (You wrote: I'm very reluctant to believe that Barbrey Dustin is part of a Stark restoration conspiracy...Whatever that conspiracy is about it has to be way to convoluted if the actual goal is to get rid of Roose. A simple murder could ensure as much.) On the surface, it certainly does look like if they wanted to kill Roose, they could have. And yet they don't. But on the other hand, they also do not seem to be stalwart allies. My point was that perhaps we should not so readily dismiss the idea that L. Dustin and the rest of the north are biding their time to rid themselves of the Boltons because of reasons not clear to us (e.g. are the north not acting out against the Boltons/Freys yet because of a hostage situation of some sort -- as was the case for Wyman? or, since much of the north hold honor in such high regard it may be that they do want to take the Boltons out except they do not want yet another red wedding, or do not have clear, valid reasons without the presence of the real Stark children). So you're right, Roose has no reason to stick around until the real Starks show up. On the other hand, the northmen do. So until then, their only choice is to play along and begrudgingly give the Boltons their support (likewise with L. Dustin).

The Freys are allied with him as well. But yes besides them he doesnt really have any super strong allies. Because the Lannisters will never send their army all the way north to help the Boltons liberate it

Archived