The Dark Tower: Stringer Bell as Roland Deschain?

Mike

I can see why Wizard and the Glass is devisive - especially for people who were reading the series as it came out. The odd thing is that I think I maybe like it for the reasons some hate it. It isn't as balls to the wall crazy as books 2 and definitely book 3 were (although I think people tend to forget about the bookends when considering W&G). Book 3 was my favourite in terms of King seemed unafraid to try any crazy notion or storytelling technique and it somehow congeals into an amazing book. Wizard and the Glass is much more grounded and lacks the frenetic pace of the earlier books but the pace is still very deliberate. It also made midworld feel real for the first time. Due to the chaotic nature of the other books that world never seemed real but W&G changed that with some great world-building and an insight into how the people of that world (at least used to) behave. Plus you get to know Roland did have a life and his ka-tet are nicely developed leaving that sinking feeling that you know they will die and possibly due to Roland's obsession with the Tower.

In a sense I think those reasons also make it a much better fit for TV than the other books. 2 hours of madness is great but 12 hours of say "the wastelands" could be overbearing.

I read the series right after it was completed.  The Wasteland is my favorite and I do really like the first 50 pages of Wizard and Glass which wraps up the Wasteland plot with Blaine the Mono, but the main flashback to Mejis is terrible.  Why are Roland and Susan in love? Ka.  Why don't the Gunslingers deal with the Big Coffin gang? Ka.  It is front to back hack writing where instead of having decisions made because of proper characterization major plot points are simple decided because of Ka, which is just a code word for "because Stephen King wants it this way". It's some of the laziest writing I've ever read.

It's been a long time since I put the series down in disgust after Song of Susannah. However, from what I still remember, Wizard and Glass was by far my favourite installment in the series. Nothing in that entire series beats Roland earning his guns for me. 

2 hours ago, Lord of Rhinos said:

I read the series right after it was completed.  The Wasteland is my favorite and I do really like the first 50 pages of Wizard and Glass which wraps up the Wasteland plot with Blaine the Mono, but the main flashback to Mejis is terrible.  Why are Roland and Susan in love? Ka.  Why don't the Gunslingers deal with the Big Coffin gang? Ka.  It is front to back hack writing where instead of having decisions made because of proper characterization major plot points are simple decided because of Ka, which is just a code word for "because Stephen King wants it this way". It's some of the laziest writing I've ever read.

I thought it was because they were teenagers and both of them had a soft spot for knights in shining armour and damsels in distress. I think there's a very deliberate Romeo and Juliet vibe with the young love and infatuation not being the most sensible of things.

The second is trickier but I thought it was because they were wanting to gather as much intel as possible and they felt that taking the big coffin gang would make the whole town clam up. That and Roland was busy being infatuated so not in any rush to escalate things. Cuthbert got very angry about it and it eventually transpired that while Roland was playing a waiting game (was over-confident) he was also letting blood go from his brain to his dick.

I think it was a bit weak how easily the ka-tet took down the Big Coffin gang and the dozen or so extras after so much calculation. If anything Roland overestimated his enemy.

Spoiler

I thought it was because they were teenagers and both of them had a soft spot for knights in shining armour and damsels in distress. I think there's a very deliberate Romeo and Juliet vibe with the young love and infatuation not being the most sensible of things.

The second is trickier but I thought it was because they were wanting to gather as much intel as possible and they felt that taking the big coffin gang would make the whole town clam up. That and Roland was busy being infatuated so not in any rush to escalate things. Cuthbert got very angry about it and it eventually transpired that while Roland was playing a waiting game (was over-confident) he was also letting blood go from his brain to his dick.

I think it was a bit weak how easily the ka-tet took down the Big Coffin gang and the dozen or so extras after so much calculation. If anything Roland overestimated his enemy.

Spoiler

Roland's reasoning was to wait until the bad guys had all the plunder (mostly the oil, but other things as well) in one place). Not that he wasn't distracted, but he did have a good reason. He also underestimated his enemies actually, because they ended up moving on him first. Jail, remember. 

6 hours ago, Martell Spy said:
  Hide contents

Hide contents

Roland's reasoning was to wait until the bad guys had all the plunder (mostly the oil, but other things as well) in one place). Not that he wasn't distracted, but he did have a good reason. He also underestimated his enemies actually, because they ended up moving on him first. Jail, remember. 

I was more meaning the ease with which the kat-tet eliminated everyone in the final act. Sure they planned it well but they went down like complete suckers. But they did make out Roland and Eldred were locked in a chess match or a bit like the samurai/ninja films where the adversaries play out all the angles as a mind game before finally acting. I certainly didn't think it was hack writing at all

1 hour ago, Lord of Rhinos said:

Red Snow,

Roland and Susan explicitly fall in level at first sight because of ka and Cuthbert points out to Roland that they should take out the Big Coffin gang but Roland over rules him and explicitly states that ka is the reason they don't confront them.

Doesn't everyone fall in love because of "ka" or "fate"? Not sure it's the romantic notion of love if it's for some definable reason. What criteria did the two characters require to fall in love in a legitimate way?

Even with Cuthbert's argument and Roland's response, I wouldn't put "ka" it down to lazy writing. There are plenty of honour codes like Chivalry and Bushido (karma even sounds similar) where people would do what appeared to be stupid for no other reason than they felt this way the way it was meant to be done. It's frustrating for outsiders but it makes complete sense to them (or feels right because it makes no sense).

Teenagers, or anyone, falling in love based on hots and status doesn't seem all that far fetched to me.

I do remember the book as somewhat frustrating though, seeing how they knew who the bad guys were and that we knew that the girl would die etc.

Still, as far as fandom goes, I really like many of King's books, even if he can't write endings, and I look forward to watching this.

• 1 month later...
On 11/11/2016 at 10:55 AM, Martell Spy said:

Well this is unfortunate, but hopefully it helps them succeed with the series.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/11/03/dark-tower-film-postponed-stephen-king

The Dark Tower film is being postponed to July 28
Exclusive: The adaptation of Stephen King's books will shift from February to summer

Gives me a bit more time to finish the books before the film's released. Given the hints this may be a pseudo-continuation of the books, I'd like to have them all done.

On 27/09/2016 at 11:53 AM, Mikael said:

Teenagers, or anyone, falling in love based on hots and status doesn't seem all that far fetched to me.

I do remember the book as somewhat frustrating though, seeing how they knew who the bad guys were and that we knew that the girl would die etc.

Still, as far as fandom goes, I really like many of King's books, even if he can't write endings, and I look forward to watching this.

I'm currently reading "wind through the keyhole" and I'm not sure if it's King retconning things but

Roland while still sad about the death of Susan seems more cut up about killing his mother (I guess he did actually do the killing in the latter case) but I get the impression it's someone mourning his first teenage love as opposed to someone losing the love of their life [/spoiler[

Loved this series. Amazing work in my opinion...wouldn't chalk any of it up to lazy writing. And I know a lot of folks gripe about the ending...but holy cow. I thought it was pretty damn powerful. Ka is a wheel, and all that. 

As for the movie, I am soooo happy they decided to make it a new go-round. Roland starts his journey with the Horn of Eld this time, and I have also read that the flick will not cast Eddie or Susannah Dean. Which is kind of a let down for me, if true, as Eddie was my favorite character in the series next to Roland. (Also, I would have killed to see Aaron Paul alongside Idris Elba as part of his ka-tet. He would have made an awesome Eddie.)  

All that being said, I am looking forward to this movie very much. Also, making W&G a TV series was a brilliant idea, and I am excited for it as well.

Thankee sai. Long days and pleasant nights, constant readers.

I have also read that the flick will not cast Eddie or Susannah Dean. Which is kind of a let down for me, if true, as Eddie was my favorite character in the series next to Roland. (Also, I would have killed to see Aaron Paul alongside Idris Elba as part of his ka-tet. He would have made an awesome Eddie.)  

I think they will be cast in the next movie, assuming the first one is successful enough that we get a second movie.

I guess I probably should finish reading the series, I only read the first 3 books and at that time King hadn't written the 4th and I just forgot about it. And if I watch it on screen I will never read the remaining books.

• 5 months later...

The Dark Tower trailer is finally out.

I read the first book nearly 20 years ago and never got around to reading the sequels. I always meant to, but when the last few came out, the negativity toward them put that plan to rest. My memory of the book is slight. A few images, really. So, watching this, I'm not sure what to think.

I love the idea of Elba in the role of the Gunslinger. Been a fan of his since The Wire. I just pictured more classic Clint Eastwood smoldering attitude. Less empathy for some reason.

15 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

The Dark Tower trailer is finally out.

I read the first book nearly 20 years ago and never got around to reading the sequels. I always meant to, but when the last few came out, the negativity toward them put that plan to rest. My memory of the book is slight. A few images, really. So, watching this, I'm not sure what to think.

I love the idea of Elba in the role of the Gunslinger. Been a fan of his since The Wire. I just pictured more classic Clint Eastwood smoldering attitude. Less empathy for some reason.

I've never read this series.  I've pick up the Gunslinger a few times but just never could get into it.  That looks quite good.

looks good. I like how they are keeping a lot of the iconic quotes and how there's a sense of familiarity to the books. McConaughy should be a joy as the villain and hopefully they make him the key antagonist

as Randall Flagg seemed to suddenly get a demotion and crappy send off in the final two tower books after seeming to be the villain of the Kingverse

I agree that Elba's approach does seem more empathic. I guess this could be because stoic is trickier in film without the benefit of voice-overs but it could also be a plot point

given this is a new revolution in the wheel of Ka it may be that a "softer" Roland is the key to success. It definitely will make the final act interesting if Jake is put in a situation where Roland has to choose saving him or pursuing the man in black

I still think the approach for the movies could well be a stroke of genuis in that it frees them from being slaves to the adaptation while maintaining enough of a hook to keep many fans on board.

Archived