You're the Head of a Noble House - Riverlands Edition IV

James Steller

Dispatch my uncle and some knights to Dorne, to avenge my father. Better a great knight go in my stead then try and fail myself, leaving my house lordless.

My bastard sister isn't going to the Silent Sisters. If my father hasn't sent her away, I have no reason to. Start some quiet inquiries about possible marriage or religious career for my mother, in case she starts trying to throw her weight around.

My sister can marry Lord Piper, as she has no interest in the heir to Seagard, fair enough. It also keeps her busy and out of my hair.

Ride over to Seagard and have a chat with Lord Mallister and his castellan. Offer my bastard sister for the heir, if he is willing. I would ask the castellan to marry his youngest daughter off to one of my household knights, this keeps my former lover around as well as my child, no new wife needs to know about her. (plus I can carry on a quiet affair if my own marriage doesn't work out so well.)

To choose Braken or Blackwood is to court disfavor with the other. Probably Darry, if either of them strike me, or even a Frey girl.

(BTW James I really like these, please do more.)

As of now I finished the Riverlands and Reach editions. I'll continue with the other regions when I get the time to do so. 

Thank you very much for your support, by the way. I extend these thanks to everyone who responds to these scenarios.

• 4 weeks later...

I am in the presence of cowards and weaklings. A worthy son would avenge his father. I

1. The hell do I care if my sister hates Mallister's heir? i don't like her. I have her marry Mallister, to get her away from me.

2. I approach my Uncle and make him promise to keep my younger half sister safe and to find her a good marriage.

3.  I marry my lover and name her child my heir. Once the child is born, I stay long enough to name him or her, and take my men to war. I won't be looking to conquer anything just a quick raid across the border, to get my father's bones back, destroy a few villages, steal a few things of worth, and murder a few Dornishmen to get the message across and the blood debt paid. If I come back, it will be to glory. If I don't, my glorious fight will outshine my dishonor and youthful foolishness.

The Swimming Spider of our House warns all: Wrath is Eternal

Imagine you're the Lord of a Noble House in the Riverlands (assume that it's been around since the Targaryen Conquest, 159 years ago). You're a seventeen-year old, and the only surviving son of your father, a noble lord who bravely (and maybe foolishly) joined in Daeron I's conquest of Dorne, and stayed on as a garrison commander. You were considered too young at the time, squiring for Lord Mallister, who also knighted you six months ago.

Now, however, terrible news has been revealed: your father is dead, murdered by the Dornish, and you are now the head of your family. Your surviving relatives are made up of your mother, aged 36, your father's brother, aged 33, your sister, aged 18, and your father's bastard, aged 12.

All of them have been devastated by your father's death. Your sister, who has never been close with you, has taken it hardest of all, and urges you to go south and avenge his death. You have the smallest of doubts about the motives behind her suggestion, given what she has to gain should you die. Your uncle, meanwhile, is urging you to stay, but you are intimidated by his reputation as a great knight.

Your mother, meanwhile, is pushing you to send your father's bastard away to the Silent Sisters. She understandably hates her, seeing her as an ugly and wayward brat, but you have always seen her as the younger sister you never had. She is devoted to you, and hopes you will look after her.

Meanwhile, your mother also says you should marry as soon as possible. Several lords have come forward as a result. Lord Blackwood and Lord Bracken both offer their only daughters as potential wives, Lord Darry suggests his eldest or his middle daughters, depending on which you like better, and Lord Frey invites you to the Twins to take your pick of his four daughters. Also, Lord Mallister has offered his heir to wed your sister. He asks you, being the head of your house, but you know that your sister despises the heir. On the other hand, Lord Piper, an old yet robust man, has recently lost his first wife and children to a sickness and is interested in wedding your sister as well, who is almost a third his age.

But what none of these lords know, however, is that you were smitten a long time ago, as a young squire in Seagard. You and the castellan's youngest daughter were loves for the last two years (you were in fact meeting her in secret a week before you returned home to receive the news of your new lordship). Now this girl, who is almost sixteen, has recently travelled to your castle in great secrecy, saying that she is pregnant with your child. You are aware that if you marry her, you will disgrace your family name and insult your fellow lords. If you take her in, you will likely embarrass your mother and new wife, whomever she is. And if you abandon her to Seagard, not only will it break both your hearts, but she and her child will fall under the claws of your sister, should you marry her to the heir, or the heir himself, if you refuse the offer of marriage.

How do you run this household?

a- stay back. No point in dying for some king sitting on a flowery seat in the North

b- Alliances at this point is key. Id marry off my mother and my dad's brother. If they want me to get married, than they will have to lead by example

c- Id marry my sister to Lord Mallister. He's young and he would put her in her place

d-Id marry the Frey girl. Its a rich family after all, who tend to care of their own and would compensate me for the honour of choosing them over others. However Id sent friends to check on them first  and see if they are pretty. However I would come clean with Lord Frey from day 1. I preferred his daughter over all the daughters in the Riverlands however prior to his proposition I have got a girl pregnant and I am planning to keep the child as bastard, if he's happy with it Id marry his daughter if not well, tough luck. Hopefully Id convince him to marry off this girl to some nephew of his. Its better off that way isn't it? I would live in peace in Riverrun while he'll make sure I wont have any distractions  that  may impact my marital duties.

e- Id legitimise the bastard and hopefully convince Lord Piper to marry her. He's old and he shouldn't be too picky at this point 

f- my future son/daughter will live in Riverrun

• 1 year later...

I would take in the girl who is pregnant with my child but not marry her. I would marry the daughter of lord Blackwood, and have my sister marry lord Mallister's heir. If my uncle hasn't married have him wed one of Lord Frey's daughters. I wouldn't send anyone off to war because honestly I couldn't care less about it and I know that in the end we will end up with a mission unsuccessful.

Archived