[SPOILERS] Are the Targaryen's the last hope for humanity?

TargaryenRemnant

Jon Snow, who is currently dead/warging in Ghost, is by all means a Targaryen (if the theory is true).  He is half Targaryen and half Stark; the perfect blend of fire and ice...blah, blah, blah we know the theory.  He has the honorable upbringing of Ned Stark and the blood of the dragon from his father.  He fits most of the AA requirements, and is in the clearest position to "save" the world from the White walkers.

Dany is by all means a Targaryen.  She has the charm and sensibility of Rhaegar, and the fierceness of her jolly old dad.  She has a sizable army, loyal men and women (including Tyrion and Varys), and not to mention three dragons.  She is currently off the beaten path, but it's clear that once things are back in order that she'll most likely set sail for Westeros (possibly with some new/old friends...).  Dany also fits almost all of the AA requirements and whether she's AA or not she's one of the greatest threats to the Long Night (the wights specifically).

Tyrion may also be a Targaryen, according to theories.  I don't personally believe them, but it's something to keep in mind.  He's now at the right-hand side of Dany, which definitely puts him in a place of Targaryen importance.

There's also Aegon but he's a Blackfyre, so just keep in in the back of your mind.

What I'm getting to is that the Targaryens are obviously going to play a KEY role in the future of the series.  Whether that will be the heroes of fire who will come and save the day, the bringers of false hope and destruction, or range of just morally grey characters who will play individual separate rolls; is all left to be determined and discussed.  The story is opened with the Starks, they are by all means the closest to being the 'central good guys/protagonists' (which I don't believe exist in this series).  The story opens with this family as a key player in the aftermath of the rebellion against the Targaryens (who were the closest, to the Starks' POV, the big baddies).  The blood of the dragon and the side of fire will play a huge part in the wars to come, but what part will they play?  Are the Targaryen's the last hope for humanity in these crucial hours, or are they the final dagger...

The outcome could mainly go two ways:

1. The Targaryens end up being the 'heroes' to humanity.  In the darkest hours of humanity; King's Landing about to erupt in blood, the North falling to pieces, the Wall metaphorically collapsing, and the White Walkers about to make their final push into Westeros; the Targaryens will emerge and possibly ally themselves with Dorne, and a Stark uprising.  The family that caused so much pain and destruction for the people of Westeros, will arise from the ashes and take a stand when all their original enemies have been defeated or left wounded.  Dany will ultimately choose to take her army to THE NORTH, insead of assaulting King's Landing for the throne.  She will choose to fight the WWs over the throne (at least possibly temporarily).  Jon will also have risen from the dead, maybe as AA.  The north will rise up, however that may go down, and then take on the WW along with the Targaryen remnant taking form.  All over Westeros people will rally around a common cause, and a new family (you know what I mean).  All of Westeros will be flying Targaryen banners.  THE DESTROYERS BECOME THE SAVIORS THROUGH ONE GENERATION -- it's very symbolic.  Now, here's where it deviates.  Either the Targaryens will win and manage the closest possible "ASOIAF happily ever after", or the WWs will win, or turn out to be not-so-bad, etc.  This is where it really gets in to speculation.

2. The Targaryens are spread completely thin and/or just help to fuck humanity over.  Jon ends up not being a Targaryen and/or ends up dead, no resurrection.  Dany ends up going bat-shit crazy and decides to end up just like the mad king.  However that may go down is a ton of possible options.  She could just make the bloodbath around KL way worse, start conquering like Aegon did during the WW onslaught, and a whole lot more.  The Targaryens only end up scewing over humanity even more and leave little to no hope.  How the story goes on from here is up to you guys!

These obviously aren't the only two options, or varients of themselves.  Tell me what you guys think and what your own endgame Targaryen theories are!

Read at your own risk - the thread is dark and full of spoilers

I don't think you can take Targaryens as united entity. Most of them did even meet each other. I firmly believe in Dance of Dragons 2.0 even if I don't count Aegon as a Targ. Only later Dany probably will get her "redemption".

Ice and Fire. I don't think Targs, meaning actually only Dany here can save the world without Starks. The other way around is more likely, there was no Targs during the first Long Night,  but it very well could be that both is needed and that is why Jon is so important. 

• 1 month later...

I think the Starks are far more important to the deliverance of humanity. It was the Stark let forces that stopped the first long Night. Brandon Stark, aka "The builder" built Winterfell and built the founding layer of the Wall etc. The Targs only potentially bring dragons to help fight. The combination of the two, Jon is the important one of that alliance. Dany though, is oblivious to these things. The Targs, for the most part were/are a bunch of inbred wackos.

On 1/23/2016 at 5:50 AM, A Ghost of Someone said:

I think the Starks are far more important to the deliverance of humanity. It was the Stark let forces that stopped the first long Night. Brandon Stark, aka "The builder" built Winterfell and built the founding layer of the Wall etc. The Targs only potentially bring dragons to help fight. The combination of the two, Jon is the important one of that alliance. Dany though, is oblivious to these things. The Targs, for the most part were/are a bunch of inbred wackos.

You don't become part of the elite of a world spanning empire for 5k by being inbred wackos. Not only the Targs practice but every dragon lord family did practice incest. In an environment as cutthroat and challenging Valyria Freehold you don't stay in power for 5k years by being inbred wackos. So it must mean that the consequences of incest would not be so severe for them than the real world incest consequences.

And I'm sick and tired of the fact fans make the Starks be so ubermen, and the solution of every problem the realm has. Making every other non Stark be useless. I would rather see Ramsey be king of Westeross than Starks be the Messiah, the solution to all Westeross problems.

44 minutes ago, thor2006 said:

it is clear cYou don't become part of the elite of a world spanning empire for 5k by being inbred wackos. Not only the Targs practice but every dragon lord family did practice incest. In an environment as cutthroat and challenging Valyria Freehold you don't stay in power for 5k years by being inbred wackos. So it must mean that the consequences of incest would not be so severe for them than the real world incest consequences.

And I'm sick and tired of the fact fans make the Starks be so ubermen, and the solution of every problem the realm has. Making every other non Stark be useless. I would rather see Ramsey be king of Westeross than Starks be the Messiah, the solution to all Westeross problems.

it is clear from ur post that u have no understanding of a song of ice and fire. the starks have the most badass legacies of all great houses ruling for 8000 years fighting rebellions,ironborn,andals,wildings,others  and ruling the harsh north. the targs were minor dragonlords in valyria 

nothin special and they sucked at ruling over iron throne the targs have psychos which will make joffrey look like pussy  the starks are awesome but also faced harsh realties and survived. the other houses are awesome as well lannisters, greyjoys, etc but the targs sucks the most in terms of house legacy whatever they do (mostly) destruction follows.

5 hours ago, thor2006 said:

You don't become part of the elite of a world spanning empire for 5k by being inbred wackos. Not only the Targs practice but every dragon lord family did practice incest. In an environment as cutthroat and challenging Valyria Freehold you don't stay in power for 5k years by being inbred wackos. So it must mean that the consequences of incest would not be so severe for them than the real world incest consequences.

The Valaryians had dragons and they did not constantly marry sibblings all the time, although it did happen. It was the Valaryian blood that had a bond with the dragons. After Valaryia was "doomed", the Targs interbred more than they normally would and it led to what has been referred to a "flip of the coin", 50/50 greatness/madness for every birth of such a union. Also, I am kinda disturbed for the hatred of the Starks by some to the point of elevating Ramsey Snow Bolton over them as preferrence. However, we are all entitled to our opinions.

5 hours ago, thor2006 said:

Yes, because the freehold was such a great success. Valyrians where shepherds who all of the sudden had control over dragons and fire and got purple eyes and silver hair, if that doesn't scream magic I don't know what does. Then they went on to subjugate half a continent with thousands of slaves. The other place we hear has dragons are the Shadow Lands, probably a place as bad as the Heart of Winter.
The closest thing to magic fire bending slaver in Planetos is likely magic ice bending death slavers, the Others. 
So, though I have no doubt that the Targs as fire have a part to play, my guess is that the Starks who've been watching over the land immediately adjacent to the Ice Demon kingdom for thousands of years, and who were involved in the first Long Night are likely more important to the solution.

On 1/23/2016 at 10:50 PM, A Ghost of Someone said:

By all accounts, it was the Daynes who led and won the Battle for the Dawn.  Sword of the Morning, Dawn, Eldric Shadowchaser, Starfell, GRRM saying that their house words will spoil a major part of the story, etc.

The proto-Starks were there without a doubt, but they weren't the leaders of the battle.

Maybe Daynes did play a part in the battle, but proto-Starks (aka Brandon the Builder) were leaders or one of the major leaders of the battle. Thats why Stark lord of the North and feel responsible toward the Wall and the Nightwatch, and Daynes are far in the South and I don't remember any of them being named on same page as Nightwatch references. 

And if, Starks did usurp the victory from Daynes, these two families would be having some sort of enmity between those houses, regardless of time passed, but instead Starks and Daynes are on pretty friendly and respectful terms as exemplified by friendly Ned Dayne, who was born seven years after events of Tower of Joy, still named after Ned Stark who was directly responsible for death of Arthur Dayne, and after suicide/vanishing of Ashara probably related to Starks in some way as well.

Maybe Daynes did play the role in the Battle for the Dawn, BUT only IF that Battle was completely different from the Others invasion during the Long Night

• 2 weeks later...

Stark and Targ hatred aside, we could be missing something here.   This resurgence of Others last occurred 8000 years back and was put down by The Last Hero, who may or may not have been a Stark.   We see Sam find references to Dragon Glass and Dragon Steel and Ghost finds a cache of Dragon Glass with an old horn and some arrowheads wrapped in a black cloak of a sworn brother of the NW.    Valyrian Steel seems to have found its way to Westeros roughly 500 years back and roughly 100 years following the Doom.  It seems to me that it became very important to produce Other Killing Weapons in the aftermath of the Doom.  I don't know what other supernatural things VS may be capable of killing, but the signs are pretty clear that these things are supposed to be used to defeat the Others.  If this is the case and dragon fire will be an effective weapon against masses of wights and VS will be the only eapon to kill the very small community of Others.   Who knows?   Maybe it is just as HBO put out and there are only 1 head Other with 12 cronies--a perfect match up for 1 Last Hero and 12 Companions.  

In short, the elements possess power critical to the defeat of the Ice imbalance.  In that Dany is the only one with game changing dragons it would be foolish not to credit the Targs with at least having the capability to make huge contributions to saving humanity.  

• 6 months later...
On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 3:23 AM, dread wolf said:

it is clear from ur post that u have no understanding of a song of ice and fire. the starks have the most badass legacies of all great houses ruling for 8000 years fighting rebellions,ironborn,andals,wildings,others  and ruling the harsh north. the targs were minor dragonlords in valyria 

nothin special and they sucked at ruling over iron throne the targs have psychos which will make joffrey look like pussy  the starks are awesome but also faced harsh realties and survived. the other houses are awesome as well lannisters, greyjoys, etc but the targs sucks the most in terms of house legacy whatever they do (mostly) destruction follows.

You seem to forget that there were PLENTY of Targs who were great rulers or great people in general who could have been great rulers if given the chance. Not all of them were "bad". Jaehaerys I, Good Queen Alysanne, Viserys I, Princess Rhaenrya, Princess Rhaenys, Daeron I, Viserys II, Prince Aemon the Dragonknight, Daeron II, Prince Baelor "Breakspear", Maekar I, Aegon V, Maester Aemon, Jaehaerys II, and Prince Rhaegar are just some of the ones who were met with praise during their legacies. They were well loved throughout the realm and seen as intelligent, charming, brave and capable rulers/people. And more than anything, they were sane and "normal" as well.

Heck, even Daemon I Blackfyre himself was seen as "great" and that's why many people in Westeros took the side of the Blacks during the Blackfyre civil wars.

Bran gains power over the Others, becomes power hungry and leads them south to start another Long Night.  Dany and her dragons invade, conquer and move north against the Others.  If either side wins, all is lost, and Jon realizes this, and being both Stark and Targaryen is able to defeat both Dany and Bran and save the day, at least for humanity, with all the POV characters dying in the end.

targaryens can be as mad or evil as other men....

this whole monarchy system needs to come down and that is the only hope for humanity....

as long as these endless cycles of wars and killing will keep on coming, thre world will be stuck in these ancient times for another 10.000 years :D

• 3 months later...

From what we have seen so far there is no proof that the fire can harm the Others, especially since we know that there were ancient Westerosi dragons and they have never mentioned as weapons against the Others.  The fire is as dangerous for humanity as the Others and Dany is an arrogant, ignorant, not very smart, self centered abomination born of incest. Sinec she had destroyed SB there is no reason why we should expect anything better from her. Jon on the other hand is the son of Ice and Fire and brings the much needed balance, he is the only capable to lead humanity.

Archived