Dorne never being conquered during Aegons conquest is a joke

dRagonese

So I completely understand how dorne could start a cou and throw out a ruler from KL because they are so far away and very hard to tame but as far as not being able to initially conquer that is just preposterous. We know the strength of dragons and in all reality there is no way the best dragon masters possible ever in Aegon 1 and his sisters could not overthrow anyone anywhere. We know that no dornish castle is anywhere near as fortified as harrenhAll and that fell in a day. I believe the whole idea that dorne resisted is a joke, either there was a reason Aegon left them be or it's just a silly plot hole by GrrrrrrrrrrM. 

Perhaps you should read about how it happened. It wasn't some grand defense in which the Dornishmen successfully resisted having their lands taken by the Targaryen forces. No, Aegon's forces marched on Dorne and took their castle quite easily. It's just that when they did, they found the castles abandoned with everyone of fighting age having moved into the countryside to lead a guerrilla war and harass Aegon's forces. Technically Aegon actually ended up taking Sunspear and pretty much had won. But as soon as word spread that Aegon and his sisters had returned to the Dornishmen came out of the wordwork to overwhelm the garrisons left behind. And then you had the Dragon's Wroth, when Aegon burnt to every single castle but Sunspear at least once over the course of two years in revenge for the death of Rhaenys. It was only the strange letter from the Prince of Dorne that eventually lead to peace, and we have no idea what the letter said.

Perhaps you should read about how it happened. It wasn't some grand defense in which the Dornishmen successfully resisted having their lands taken by the Targaryen forces. No, Aegon's forces marched on Dorne and took their castle quite easily. It's just that when they did, they found the castles abandoned with everyone of fighting age having moved into the countryside to lead a guerrilla war and harass Aegon's forces. Technically Aegon actually ended up taking Sunspear and pretty much had won. But as soon as word spread that Aegon and his sisters had returned to the Dornishmen came out of the wordwork to overwhelm the garrisons left behind. And then you had the Dragon's Wroth, when Aegon burnt to every single castle but Sunspear at least once over the course of two years in revenge for the death of Rhaenys. It was only the strange letter from the Prince of Dorne that eventually lead to peace, and we have no idea what the letter said.

yep completely forgot about all this, it's been to long since I read my copy of the world. Should have re read the conquest before I posted, my B.

Dorne got into the fold after the time of dragons, BTW. They kept a somewhat different political status (maintaining the Price title) and both the Throne and Sunspear got out of the agreement. A warring conquering campaing would have drained both factions, as Daeron I campaign ultimately proved. The Targs proclaimed themselves rulers of the First Men, Andals AND THE Rhoynar, even when Dorne was in the practice independent. I believe that, bringing the dornish in the Seven Kingdoms during Daeron II was also like honoring a historical debt... besides getting a lot of economic and social and political gains from it.

Even in real world, it is very hard to conquer a desert country. 

I do not think it is that hard to understand Dorne's resistance. 

By the way, Rhoyna people knew how to deal with Valyria dragon lords. 

One thousand years ago, they successfully killed two dragons and their riders and badly injured another one. 

Even later when Valyria sent out 300 dragons, I am sure they managed to kill some of them by their 250000 army.  

ReadNiggaRead_zpse82079de.gif

Haha! I think we've all been there.

I really liked the quote from Princess Meria Martell in the World Book:

Meria: I will not fight you, nor will I kneel to you. Dorne has no king. Tell your brother that.

Rhaenys: I shall, but we will come again, Princess, and the next time we shall come with fire and blood.

Meria: Your words. Ours are Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken. You may burn us, my lady ... but you will not bend us, break us, or make us bow. This is Dorne. You are not wanted here. Return at your peril.

You do realise that this sounds like bad fanfiction by a Dorne fanboy/fangirl, right? It gets worse when GRRM goes into details. The backstory of how Dorne could not be tamed is bad, and should have been left alone for the reader to imagine.

I thought Meria Martell was supposed to be a fat ugly, toad of a woman.

Yeah, that's a problem, but Davis said she wants to be in GoT, and the only prominent character of color I could think of in a potential movie or something based on the history of Westeros was Meria

You do realise that this sounds like bad fanfiction by a Dorne fanboy/fangirl, right? It gets worse when GRRM goes into details. The backstory of how Dorne could not be tamed is bad, and should have been left alone for the reader to imagine.

Yet people would have complained if Martin gave no indication how it happened. The other kingdoms all get destroyed/submit to the Targs and the Dornish just managed to keep independence somehow.  Asymmetric warfare was the way to beat or survive the dragons. Pity the rest of Westeros was too honorable and idiotic to do something similar.

How do you think the Americans won against the British, guerrilla warfare being one advantage. See Vietnam and Afghanistan for other examples. Guerrilla tactics were key. One could also say their fighting style unlike the rest of the Kingdoms, especially their flamboyancy and use of poison for one. Another one from the early Confederate States victories being knowledge of the land, remember that Dorne is mostly a desert or desert like conditions land, you could say they are impervious to the heat. They knew not the head on straight into battle for just those reason, Dragons. They knew their environment and took advantage of that and then the Dornish letter of course.

Yeah, that's a problem, but Davis said she wants to be in GoT, and the only prominent character of color I could think of in a potential movie or something based on the history of Westeros was Meria

HBO could have used her for the female version of Moqorro. A missed opportunity.

Archived