Speculative fiction books/series that deserve more attention

Lord Patrek

Ever since I created the Hotlist a decade ago, there is one thing that never changed. Every week, I keep on receiving messages from random SFF readers looking for recommendations. I have a reading list that I usually post once a year, but this time around I wanted to do things a bit differently. So I came up with a shortlist of SFF novels/series that I feel remain criminally unread. You can find the post here

I narrowed it down to a mix of fantasy and science fiction works from Guy Gavriel Kay, Stephen R. Donaldson, Paul Kearney, Jeff Somers, C. S. Friedman, GRRM, Brian Ruckley, and David Louis Edelman. Some of these books/series are only a couple of years old, while others date from the 90s. And even though most of them are not that "old", most of them have never been or are no longer widely read. There are a lot more such works, but I wanted to keep the list short to maximize the exposure it would provide. . .

I'm curious to discover what you guys feel are other novels/series that inexplicably remain underrated and underappreciated by genre fans out there?

Cheers,

Patrick

I like speculative fiction just fine.  I will call a book like Ancillary Justice Sci-FI, and ASOIAF fantasy.  But what do I call Perdido Street StationThree Parts Dead?  Speculative fiction covers the spectrum and doesn't require a hundred qualifiers. 

The backlash against it falls directly into the 'get of my damn lawn' realm of things. Doesn't matter that it makes sense, it isn't the way it used to be.

I like speculative fiction just fine.  I will call a book like Ancillary Justice Sci-FI, and ASOIAF fantasy.  But what do I call Perdido Street StationThree Parts Dead?  Speculative fiction covers the spectrum and doesn't require a hundred qualifiers. 

The backlash against it falls directly into the 'get of my damn lawn' realm of things. Doesn't matter that it makes sense, it isn't the way it used to be.

It doesn't make sense. That's the problem. Just because you like it (or I hate it) doesn't mean it's right (or wrong). There's a reason it hasn't stuck, even though people have been trying to push it for decades. It's dumb, confusing (hell, even they guy that came up with it can't seem to figure it what he meant by it), lacking character, and something you only use when you're ashamed to tell your co-workers you read books about dragons and shit. And qualifiers? Please, all that term is, is something that needs qualifiers, hence this conversation. Should we use Atwoods definition of 'sci fi without Martians'? Or Heinlein's (the guy that came up with the term) that it specifically did not include 'fantasy'? Confusing, like I said. You want to cover all the bases? SciFi/fantasy can do just that with less characters, and sounding less pretentious. Unless that's your thing.

Also PSS: Steampunk

TPD: Urban Fantasy

See. That was easy.

As for the OP: I think you covered all the big hitters for me (we see eye to eye on most of that kind of stuff)

PB,

What do you call "Alternate history" if not Speculative fiction?  It's not Scifi or  fantasy.  All the "SpecFic" label is trying to do is create a broader catagory than merely scifi/fantasy.

It's a meta-catagory that is broader that the specific genres you mention.  Why do you object to it?

Yes Peter you must be right.  I use the term Speculative Fiction because I am ashamed to say what I really read for fear of being labeled a geek.  With my Zelda and Yoshi T-shirts, book covers covered in dragons and spaceships, and basement bar covered in all things fantasy.

And in your world it us easier to use the terms steampunk, urban fantasty, alternative historty, magical realism, etc than just calling it speculative fiction?  Yet you dispose GRIMDARK as a term.

No consistancy, no reasoning, it's just something you don't like and have decided everyone else should follow your path on.

No consistancy, no reasoning, it's just something you don't like and have decided everyone else should follow your path on.

The world would be a better place if that was the case.  

And I just like fucking with CT about the grim dark shit.  I really don't have a horse in that race.  It's just funny to see people get worked up about something so silly, and to take it (and by extension themselves) so seriously.... kind of like this. 

PB,

What do you call "Alternate history" if not Speculative fiction?  It's not Scifi or  fantasy.  All the "SpecFic" label is trying to do is create a broader catagory than merely scifi/fantasy.

It's a meta-catagory that is broader that the specific genres you mention.  Why do you object to it?

Yes, the only objection is that it only means that to you.  To me (and many, many others) it means something completely different, so it loses it meta status. 

And I call alternate history just that.  If someone said, 'hey, Crossett, what do you think about that man from high castle book?' 'Well' I'd say, 'it's a great alternate history novel'.  

A great breakdown from some ladies who should know (and the one I tend to agree with):

http://io9.com/5650396/margaret-atwood-and-ursula-k-le-guin-debate-science-fiction-vs-realism

'So perhaps the breakdown is as follows: could happen (speculative fiction), couldn't happen yet (science fiction), could never happen at all (fantasy).'

As popular as it on these boards, The Long Price Quartet deserves more attention and appreciation. I can only imagine it isn't as popular due to the lack of instant gratification. The general public simply lacks the patience to invest in a series that is a slow build. It really is a hidden gem.

Archived