Future of House Seaworth

3legImp

If Stannis were to EVER sit the throne in a united Westeros, Davos and house Seaworthy would uncontrollably become a powerful political unit in the kingdom.  

Davos does not envision this as his future, but he does of his sons' and grandsons'.  

What I ask is everyones opinion of what role house Seaworthy could play in a Stannis controlled Kingdom?

He would do well for his family, as he had when he swore allegiance to Stannis. Stannis afterall elevated him to nobillety, his loyalty to Stannis is what gets him higher up and Stannis value's his loyalty greatly so it makes sense to reward him well once the throne is secured. Likely Stannis would have a few titles and vacant castle's to grant around to loyal supporters once the war was won and house Seaworth would likely get something. Not to much mind you, because the other lords would complain to much if he moved the seaworths too high, but the next step in promotion, a more prestigious lordship than the current one and afcourse Davos remains hand of the king and his sons well connected and in service to the court.

If i were Stannis i'd give him Dragonstone once the war is over, It's something like 2 tiers below the king, comparable to Frey's, Florents, Royce's or Manderley's in term of power, whereas Davos is more like tier 3 or 4 right now, besides that it's a nice castle at a very defensive spot, dragonstone is an very important naval base too and that befits the Seaworths so you'd think that the Seaworths would provide lots of naval commanders as they already seem to do.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it is possible he won't need Stannis to continue his climb if things work out ok for the Manderly's. I can imagine a scenario where he is tasked as a type of coast guard for one of the coasts post war. Or even as a major admiral type figure for the Manderlys in upcoming sea battles. 

On a personal note, I have felt a tinge of "character love" when reading some of the narrative; like a feeling that the author has a soft spot for the fat guys that people look past or underestimate. Davos is the kind of character that does not underestimate anyone and I think that has been paramount to his survival. 

If Stannis should become king, House Seaworth would probably be raised in status to become a noble house and not just a knightly house. They'd probably be given more of Cape Wrath's land, along with House Wylde. Stannis has already appointed him as Hand, but he could become Master of Ships as well.  Perhaps, if Stannis isn't fond of the new heir to House Baratheon of Storm's End, he might appoint him or son as Lord Paramount of the Stormlands.

The future of the House down the line... Davos' sons did serve on Stannis' ships, so perhaps seafaring isn't only Davos' passion. If the Seaworth lands are on the southern side of Cape Wrath, they could create a port city and grow rich from there.

Would I have better luck posting this in the novel General?

Yep, this forum is focused on the world book, The World of Ice and Fire, although it has also had discussions about the smartphone app, A World of Ice and Fire.

Also, Stannis names Davos the "Lord of the Rainwood" in ASOS, so the king already intends for Davos to have greater responsibilities.

In the event they win he'd be Lord of the Rainwood and Admiral of the Narrow Sea in fact as well as name, so he'd be one of the most powerful and influential storm lords. Plus, he's Hand of the King, so he could have all kind of royal appointments for family members/friends/servants. His three remaining sons, assuming they all survive, would all have privileged positions.

The problem for Davos of course is that he'd need to grab castles and lands where he can and put his children as lords over them. Because if he isn't rather kleptomanic when he rises to the top in Stannis' kingdom, odds are that his House will just shrink back into obscurity when he or Stannis dies. Therefor, he'd better grap what he can hope to hold on to while he's at the top, and make as many good marriages as possible for his children and if possible get them as fosterlings or squires for mighty lords and ladies so that they'll get an oppertunity to network with the powers that be.

In regards to giving Davos Dragonstone I would advice against it. Dragonstone carries great symbolic value since the days of the Targaryens and thus only the royal family should be allowed to keep it. 

Davis was already about as high as he could go, without being King himself - Hand of the King, after all, speaks with the King's voice. And as has been noted, he was granted more lands already, 

that said, him being Hand doesn't necessarily mean he remains a formidable political force. Lots of people rise though the ranks, but then either come crashing down or fade into obscurity once their moment in the sun is over (like House Butterwell, I believe).

Archived