You're the Head of a Noble House - North Edition IV

James Steller

I politely tell Lord Hornwood that I want to marry my heir to someone closer to his own age and offer myself as a husband to his sister if it is agreeable to him. Having Lord Hornwood as a brother-in-law will be an asset and with the Stormlanders/Riverlords to the south, the Ironborn to the west, and now the Boltons scheming, a few more heirs might be needed. If Lord Hornwood dies in battle I'll claim the Hornwood lands in my wife's name

Good call, I had not thought of that one.

• 4 weeks later...

1. The Boltons. The Goddamned Boltons. I send a warning letter to the King and all the Lords of the North, telling them to keep an eye on the Dreadfort. I also send a few of my bravest, most cunning men to camp near the Dreadfort. They are to sabotage the Boltons in any way possible. They know that this mission is probably a suicide mission, and are each given a few knives so as to kill themselves should they get caught. I spend every day praying to the Old Gods to keep my people safe and to protect my men from being skinned. I form a coalition of other lords who hate Bolton. If it turns out that we are making a preemptive strike, we must destroy the House completely, so it won't be their words against ours. If my Cousin is telling the truth, then we will be ready.

2. First and Second Son: They get to chose their wives.

3. My third son will be tried by the small-folk. If he is found guilty I will send him to the Wall. If he is innocent,  I will kill the girl for her false accusation.

4. If my heir chooses the Hornwood girl(doubt it), they will squire my 11 year old. If not then  I will accept House Flint's deal. Like hell any child of mine is going to live in a place called the Dreadfort.

5.  I send my condolences to my daughter, and I let my her chose her new husband between the two suitors. I send my strongest men to protect her in case the Bolton's try something.

6. My bastard will wed to Clan Forrester. It is the best he could hope for and he will be finally rid of the name Snow.

I send a few of my bravest, most cunning men to camp near the Dreadfort. They are to sabotage the Boltons in any way possible. They know that this mission is probably a suicide mission, and are each given a few knives so as to kill themselves should they get caught.

Good luck finding men willing to do that. My guess is that any common soldier you order on a suicide mission would prefer to either defect to the Boltons or just go straight to the Wall and be done with it.

Did I say common soldiers?

Bravest and most cunning.

I should have added most loyal too though.

Loyal men, or men who hate the Boltons, with skills in guerrilla tactics. Maybe hunters, or my best scouts. The point is they have to sneak about and only attack the guards who stray off, poison wells and start fires. The knife is the worst case scenario.

Message: tell King Stark what I know in secret. Moat Cailin can be defended by a few men too, also the crannogmen are safe in their bogs. So we don't need so much men to hold back the enemy.

Heir: marry either the Hornwood or Locke girl.

Bastard: don't try to legitimize him, coz no matter what he says, he is older than my heir, and if I'd legizimize him, then there could be problems later. So he either becomes a master in arms in Oldcastle or a guard in Ironrath. I'd prefer the Lockes, since they are an old family in the North with more territory and power than the Forresters.

Second son: I speak it out with my son. If he wants to be on a desolated island surrounded by Ironborn reavers and take up another family name then okay, go for it. If not then he either marries the Condon daughter or try to find someone else.

Third son: the "raped" girl can be a servant of mine if she wants so she will have a secure job. What if she's pregnant and gives birth to a bastard? Nothing. There are a lot of bastards everywhere. Maybe I offer the Mormonts that my third son marries their daughter.

Fourth son: if my heir marries then Hornwood girl, then my fourth son goes to them. If not then to the Flints.

Daughter: marries the Karstark.

• 1 year later...

I would take the Hornwood, Umber and Mormont offers to spread my influence in the North. Also I would foster my fourth son with the Flints (which one though there are three house Flints in the North) and take their son as a ward. This means that The Flint boy will grow to be friends with my children (probably) and my fourth son would become a friend with the Flints. I get an heir to Umber and Mormont lands and heir will have a wife who can mother children. I only have to hope that no one sees this as ambitious when in truth that is exactly what I'm being here so oh well. I would tell Edwyn that their is no need to bother and tell him he should sent a few hundred bowmen Moat Cailin and not lose any sleep over it. I would be more concerned about the Iron Born, Mallisters and any other fleets that their may be. Telling King Edwyn to make sure that Barrowton and White Harbor are well defended as well basically eliminates any threat to the North. Now of course the wild card here is the Boltons as we don't know what they will do. I would make sure to tell other Northern Lords in secret to keep their defenses up. Keeping everyone on guard likely means the Boltons won't try anything and without every south at Moat Cailin, taking the North would be a lot harder.

Archived