Asshai and Ghost Grass

Damsel in Distress

mel isn't really that minor. Just cause some aren't Jon Snow, Dany,  Tyrion etc doesn't mean they are minor. Minor is like Salladohr Saan and Moon Boy.

Mel obviously has something pretty big to do the plot and has been apart of many big things already

Also if the theory comes true (i believe in the theory and am pretty certain) where she is the daughter of Blood Raven and Shiera could be pretty damn appointment

You guy's are still caught up with who is a minor or major character when iv'e already tried moving past this to elaborate the point of that (my) post. Which is that Ghost grass is not likely a myth, as i stated, other people seem to know about this. Dany for one did not find out about this from Mel. That was simply the point of that post as pertaining to this Threads Topic. Marwyn or Mel being major and minor character, or whether or not some one would really wanna sit and debate that (smh) is not this threads topic point. 

You guy's are still caught up with who is a minor or major character when iv'e already tried moving past this to elaborate the point of that (my) post. Which is that Ghost grass is not likely a myth, as i stated, other people seem to know about this. Dany for one did not find out about this from Mel. That was simply the point of that post as pertaining to this Threads Topic. Marwyn or Mel being major and minor character, or whether or not some one would really wanna sit and debate that (smh) is not this threads topic point. 

Not really caught up in anything but Mel was a terrible example is all I wanted to say

Not really caught up in anything but Mel was a terrible example is all I wanted to say

Marwyn, and not really. If you get past whether or not he's a major or minor character, cause that point aside, he proves other people you've clearly heard of and remember (and sure his possible knowledge of Maester's killing of the dragons and possibly more, among possible connections to the Martells, and to Mirri, anddddd him having a Glass Candle makes him small time) have been to Asshai, and that ghost grass is likely not a myth. Though yes i probably should have mentioned some of the other points right off bat. Or just saved my time period. 

1. Why do people stay in Asshai if the waters and the lands are toxic?  Any ideas what caused the toxicity?
  2. Do they wear mask to protect themselves from the air or hide disfigurement?
  3. What is ghost grass?  A type of invasive, noxious weed? 
  4. What sorts of black magic are practiced in Asshai?

ghost grass is obviously reffering to snowsnow covering the world  and long night ...I think this a proof that all three prophecies AAr and TPTWp and TSEMTw as the version of same prophecy and come from Asshai ...which speak of promised prince 

Marwyn, and not really. If you get past whether or not he's a major or minor character, cause that point aside, he proves other people you've clearly heard of and remember (and sure his possible knowledge of Maester's killing of the dragons and possibly more, among possible connections to the Martells, and to Mirri, anddddd him having a Glass Candle makes him small time) have been to Asshai, and that ghost grass is likely not a myth. Though yes i probably should have mentioned some of the other points right off bat. Or just saved my time period. 

When did I say Marwyn was minor? I dont know what I typed to make you think that, your putting words into my mouth

1. We unfortunately do not have a straight answer. But there are hints that point towards a very sinister conclusion.

Consider how the Asshaii claim that the city always existed, built by some unknown people thousands of years ago - now, however, those people are seemingly gone, and the city has far fewer inhabitants than it should. Also remember that we have reports from all over the world of megastructures and buildings made from improbable materials (oily black stone, mazes, fused rock) that are all abandoned. The description of the maze in Lorath suggests that it was built long ago and then destroyed in a conflict against "an enemy from the sea" - almost certainly the Deep Ones. Meanwhile, we have a few scarce implications that it was some other, unknown race that first bred and tamed dragons, and then taught the Valyrians how to use them.

My belief is that, thousands upon thousands of years ago, there was a devastating magical war fought between the ancient races of the world, most likely the proto-Asshaii against the Deep Ones. Both sides utilized extremely potent and destructive magic in the fight against one another, and also raised up other, less advanced peoples like the Valyrians and the Ironborn to fight for them. Eventually, the war grew so destructive that both species were wiped out, the proto-Asshaii disappearing and the Deep Ones retreating below the sea, leaving their cities behind. The reason why places like Asshai and Yeen are so noxious and poisonous is because they are infected with something similar to radiation, albeit with a magical origin: it twists, sterilizes, or mutates everything it touches, thus creating the toxicity you mentioned.

At the same time, however, Asshai remains a place of magic like nowhere else on GRRth. If you want to study magic and desire power above personal safety, what better place to go then a city that is literally infected by sorcery?

2. Either, or both. Hard to say, but it seems that at least one is likely, unless it is some proto-Asshaii tradition handed down to these new residents.

3. Probably a plant species twisted by Asshai's toxicity, similar to how the fish that swim in the Ash turn pale and twisted. It definitely does not seem like a natural plant.

4. All kinds, I should think. Though apparently Stygai is even worse.

1a. Asshai has an incredible music scene. I mean people come for the music event, but they stay for the dark sorcery. The scene in Qarth is seriously over. With all the merchants, no one can afford the rents, but the overstock of housing in Asshai acts as a bulwark against gentrification.

1b. Free birth control, there is a reason Ser Friendzone tries to take Danny there. Dragon babies are expressive and would get in the way of his music career.

2. It's just that they're incredibly comfortable. I think everyone will be wearing them in the future.

3. It's Franken grass engineered to grow in magical shade.

4. See answer 1a. Pretty much everything your parents worried about, when you started listening to music they didn't like, is going on in Asshai.

1. We unfortunately do not have a straight answer. But there are hints that point towards a very sinister conclusion.

Consider how the Asshaii claim that the city always existed, built by some unknown people thousands of years ago - now, however, those people are seemingly gone, and the city has far fewer inhabitants than it should. Also remember that we have reports from all over the world of megastructures and buildings made from improbable materials (oily black stone, mazes, fused rock) that are all abandoned. The description of the maze in Lorath suggests that it was built long ago and then destroyed in a conflict against "an enemy from the sea" - almost certainly the Deep Ones. Meanwhile, we have a few scarce implications that it was some other, unknown race that first bred and tamed dragons, and then taught the Valyrians how to use them.

My belief is that, thousands upon thousands of years ago, there was a devastating magical war fought between the ancient races of the world, most likely the proto-Asshaii against the Deep Ones. Both sides utilized extremely potent and destructive magic in the fight against one another, and also raised up other, less advanced peoples like the Valyrians and the Ironborn to fight for them. Eventually, the war grew so destructive that both species were wiped out, the proto-Asshaii disappearing and the Deep Ones retreating below the sea, leaving their cities behind. The reason why places like Asshai and Yeen are so noxious and poisonous is because they are infected with something similar to radiation, albeit with a magical origin: it twists, sterilizes, or mutates everything it touches, thus creating the toxicity you mentioned.

At the same time, however, Asshai remains a place of magic like nowhere else on GRRth. If you want to study magic and desire power above personal safety, what better place to go then a city that is literally infected by sorcery?

2. Either, or both. Hard to say, but it seems that at least one is likely, unless it is some proto-Asshaii tradition handed down to these new residents.

3. Probably a plant species twisted by Asshai's toxicity, similar to how the fish that swim in the Ash turn pale and twisted. It definitely does not seem like a natural plant.

This is very similar to my own theory.  I believe that the cotf, giants, deep ones, and Empire of the Dawn were all around at the same time.  I believe the Deep ones and cotf fought on multiple occasions and that the legends of the Iron Isles are the best example of this.  We have Nagga's bones which seem likely to be the ship built from the Weirwood Styg, then you have the hammer of the waters hitting and killing the Deep ones.

The lack of children to me is fishy.  Perhaps that's the socially-acceptable way of explaining it.  The truth is less-acceptable.  They sacrificed their children.  Sacrificing the innocent gets better results. 

The Dothraki arakh is sickle-shaped, with inward-curving blade.  Perhaps they will be the ones to stop the spread of Ghost Grass, riding through the grass and cutting it down with their sickle-shaped arakhs. 

I hate science in my fantasy, but radiation would explain many of the phenomenon in Asshai.  The glowing Ghost Grass, the poisoned waters and soil. 

I like the idea that Asshai was part of the Great Empire of the Dawn. Probably the major port city between east and west, while Stygai was possibly the Capital and maybe seat of the Blood Stone Emperor. Have you considered this as your "proto-Asshai"?

Some of us have talked about Yeen, the Hightower, Moat Calin and more as all part of this Empire of the Dawn :)

This is very similar to my own theory.  I believe that the cotf, giants, deep ones, and Empire of the Dawn were all around at the same time.  I believe the Deep ones and cotf fought on multiple occasions and that the legends of the Iron Isles are the best example of this.  We have Nagga's bones which seem likely to be the ship built from the Weirwood Styg, then you have the hammer of the waters hitting and killing the Deep ones.

Didn't see that you mentioned it first haha The Deep Ones i think though still sound like the Children of the Forest. The cave of Bloodraven even plunges to deep rivers and such. The ruins underneath Leng is what first led me to this question. Basically it works of the idea that some of the children or one of them dabbled in new magic that blew up in their face, creating two different factions among the children. Still not sure on the details of this, but i still dont trust the Children and their visions. Especially based on Martin's other works :)

Apologies, you just got in on the end, debating whether Mel was major or minor. Most of that was at the other two post stating Marwyn was minor. But again, neither of this matters towards the point and is well past a waste of time. 

Didn't see that you mentioned it first haha The Deep Ones i think though still sound like the Children of the Forest. The cave of Bloodraven even plunges to deep rivers and such. The ruins underneath Leng is what first led me to this question. Basically it works of the idea that some of the children or one of them dabbled in new magic that blew up in their face, creating two different factions among the children. Still not sure on the details of this, but i still dont trust the Children and their visions. Especially based on Martin's other works :)

I didn't post it here.  Your theory is interesting, but there are many things that point to some sort of water based humanoid.  Nimble Dick tells Brienne about the squishers, Davos sees that the Borrels have webbed fingers, this trait is matched by the people of Toad island, who worship a giant greasy black stone in the shape of a toad, and of the people of the Thousand Islands north of Eastern Essos.  Interestingly enough the Thousand Islands were supposedly once part of mainland essos and were broken off... sounds like another hammer of the waters to me.  The people there refuse to go into the water under any circumstances and have green tinted skin...sounds fishy(lol) to me.

I believe the Green men or the Isle of Faces are some sort of hybrid among species as befits a peace treaty, and I also think the Durrandon legend of the founding of Storms End supports my theory.  Supposedly Durran Godsgrief married the daughter of the sky god and the water god, which I believe is the cotf and deep ones interbreeding.  Osha tells Bran the gods(Old Gods aka cotf) communicate with them via the wind, and Bran later communicates with Theon via the wind.  There is also the Borrel legends of wind and sky gods mimicking that of the Iron Isles Drowned God and Storm God.

I think there is also evidence in the legends of the Iron Isles and Oldtown that the giants allied with the Deep Ones at least at times, and we know the giants and cotf fought each other.  The final piece in my theory is the Old Ones, which I believe is a hybrid of the Giants and Deep ones.  I believe this would explain the skeletons on Lorath that are larger than humans but smaller than giants, and would also explain why there is yet another type of building structure found only on Lorath and Oltown. Oldtown...Old Ones.

I know I might not have made a super compelling argument, but there is evidence in the worldbook and novels of all the species I have mentioned, COTF, Deep Ones, Old Ones, Green Men, and the empire of the Dawn, and I think I have at least shown the evidence of these species.

I didn't post it here.  Your theory is interesting, but there are many things that point to some sort of water based humanoid.  Nimble Dick tells Brienne about the squishers, Davos sees that the Borrels have webbed fingers, this trait is matched by the people of Toad island, who worship a giant greasy black stone in the shape of a toad, and of the people of the Thousand Islands north of Eastern Essos.  Interestingly enough the Thousand Islands were supposedly once part of mainland essos and were broken off... sounds like another hammer of the waters to me.  The people there refuse to go into the water under any circumstances and have green tinted skin...sounds fishy(lol) to me.

I believe the Green men or the Isle of Faces are some sort of hybrid among species as befits a peace treaty, and I also think the Durrandon legend of the founding of Storms End supports my theory.  Supposedly Durran Godsgrief married the daughter of the sky god and the water god, which I believe is the cotf and deep ones interbreeding.  Osha tells Bran the gods(Old Gods aka cotf) communicate with them via the wind, and Bran later communicates with Theon via the wind.  There is also the Borrel legends of wind and sky gods mimicking that of the Iron Isles Drowned God and Storm God.

I think there is also evidence in the legends of the Iron Isles and Oldtown that the giants allied with the Deep Ones at least at times, and we know the giants and cotf fought each other.  The final piece in my theory is the Old Ones, which I believe is a hybrid of the Giants and Deep ones.  I believe this would explain the skeletons on Lorath that are larger than humans but smaller than giants, and would also explain why there is yet another type of building structure found only on Lorath and Oltown. Oldtown...Old Ones.

I know I might not have made a super compelling argument, but there is evidence in the worldbook and novels of all the species I have mentioned, COTF, Deep Ones, Old Ones, Green Men, and the empire of the Dawn, and I think I have at least shown the evidence of these species.

My first post was in regards to you bringing up the GEOTD. Yea i believe there are more races, i just say they all trace back to the children. The Giants were their brother and their bane, suggesting a tie. I could be wrong and there could have always been 3, i just suspect a deeper connection.

All those other points i agree with. Ive taken my own theory that Garth the Green is a merman. As depicted by the GreyIron and Manderly sigil. Green beard, green hair, and maybe green skin (like those from the thousand isles) which all turned grey as he got older. Not only does Duran's story show him wedding a possible mermaid, but so does the Grey Kings. Further, Hugor which is another rendering of Hukko, may also be another rendering for Huzhor Amai, and Azor Ahai. Which Huzhor was the son of the Last Fisher Queen and Azor was son of the Opal emperor. Like wise, the Grey King (who was i think green as the sea to start) wed a mermaid. Further more all of these stories deal with a fallen star or stone.

• Bloodstone Emperor- worshiped fallen magical stone
  • First Dayne- Followed fallen star and made sword out of it
  • Hugor- The Father pulled down 7 stars to make his crown.
  • Galladon of Morne- The Maiden (a star) falls for Galladon, in love.
  • Duran- 7 storms (not really a fallen star/stone, but mirrors the 7 story of Hugor, ill get back to Hugor)
  • Grey King- Temps the Storm god who sends down a bolt of Lightening

Further ties lie in Hugor's story. He is said to have had 44 sons. There are 44 Iron Islands. 31 in the main grouping, and 13 in the smaller grouping. While the largest Islands number 7. (Ill hook back around to some other relevant 7 ties). All of these numbers have further ties i wont bother pointing out other than 13 for now. Linking the Night's King who ruled for 13 yrs and was 13th L.C. and the Last Hero who along with 12 companions numbered 13.

Now, the Hoares are said to have the Andal taint which is evident in their Black hair, eyes and heart. This strong trait is in another major house, House Durrandon, which then passes it onto House Baratheon. "The Seed is Strong". House Durrandon being littered in Andals influence or 7's. 7 storms, 7 castles, 7 Andal attacks, and round towers. 

7 pops up alot and seems to represent one side of the powers, while 3 is the other. As said 3 times in Eddard's dungeon chapter about the Tower of Joy, they were 3 against 7. The wall just happens to be 3(00)x7(00).

Further Andal/ Iron born ties lie possibly in Balon Blackskin, who fought with an ax and a hammer. Both of which are signs believed to be carved through out the Vale where the Andals first made landing. (This is during the early Andal Invasion led on by religious fever, not the later Andal invasion in which the Hoares come in on, which was led by a flight from Valyria.).

Another example of these powers and a sign, is that House Tyrell  who claims decent through Garth green wear a specific armor in honor during a known Tourney as does another famous house in another known Tourney. Rhaegar. Rhaegar in the Tourney of Harrenhal wears black armor with red rubies on it, while giving a blue rose to a Stark. Later, Loras Tyrell wearing Silver Armor with Blue Sapphires on it, gives a red rose to a Stark. Here you have 2 people honoring the 2 separate powers, giving a rose to a Stark. Make of Stark's role in that what you will ;) 

These are just some of the signs i follow in my theory, there is indeed more. I hope they help or were at least entertaining :)

This does have deeper implications into the "God's Eye Conspiracy"

ghost grass is obviously reffering to snowsnow covering the world  and long night ...I think this a proof that all three prophecies AAr and TPTWp and TSEMTw as the version of same prophecy and come from Asshai ...which speak of promised prince 

Yup, Ghost Grass is light, snow is white.  GG grows in the cold.  Ice and Cold are bad.  They represent death.   Fire and warmth are good, life-giving. 

So my issue with all this hybrid talk is that it is pretty clear from the text that humans caught even properly bed with the Ibinese much less the brindled men of Sothyros, so interfering giants, Squishers, and CotF outside of the context of Valyrian blood magic seems suspect.

Maybe. Though it is also stated that the men of Skagos may have bred with them, and also that the Umber may have with Giants, and the people of the Thousand Isles with Merman (or something), and a couple marriages with CotF such as Ser Artys Arryn/ The Winged Knight. Just because the Maester dismiss it, along with CotF, and Giants, and Others, and Merman, doesn't mean we should. 

Maybe. Though it is also stated that the men of Skagos may have bred with them, and also that the Umber may have with Giants, and the people of the Thousand Isles with Merman (or something), and a couple marriages with CotF such as Ser Artys Arryn/ The Winged Knight. Just because the Maester dismiss it, along with CotF, and Giants, and Others, and Merman, doesn't mean we should. 

Early on in Game, we get this idea of wildlings laying with the Others to produce half breeds. When we get to the wildlings and the Others we find Craster giving his fully human children to the Others to be turned into Others. I just think that hybids seems to be this go to answer, and the real answers might be more nuanced.

Early on in Game, we get this idea of wildlings laying with the Others to produce half breeds. When we get to the wildlings and the Others we find Craster giving his fully human children to the Others to be turned into Others. I just think that hybids seems to be this go to answer, and the real answers might be more nuanced.

This is true, and i remember this, but cant place off hand where that info came from.. Old Nan? Or Luwin? While i agree with you that it may indeed not be that simple, or it may be more simple. The Geotdawn-age is the hardest to pin anything down on. And while 2 sides of power can clearly be pointed out, mayyybe a third, i still subscribe to the idea that there is only one power. If indeed everything stems from the Children, who are hive minded, would possibly explain some things. Like why both sides have some what similar powers, like resurrection and mind control. Again, hard to say though, there could be different hive minds for all we know. Im still open to any good theory though

Archived