Asshai and Ghost Grass

Damsel in Distress

I think maybe they're more powerful in Asshai, as Melisandre is even more powerful at the wall than Asshai, to her surprise.

I kind of think of it as a way for them to forget them selves, kind of like how Arya is expected to ditch her past and her self to become a Faceless man.

Ummmmm, your guess is as good as mine lol The water and the grass are toxic and nothing else grows and animals soon die there. Some serious evil permeating from Stygai it seems

Blood and Fire magic... what ever that is lol we've seen some clues such as prolonging life (through Melisandre), possible sight/ glimpses of the future (Mel again), blood sacrifices for the sake of magical items? (Qhohor sacrificing children to make steel equal to Valyrian steel) and Glamouring (Mel again, and she uses it on Mance). Oh and Resurrection through Beric Dondarrion.

Though with the case of Resurrection for example, this seems to be something both Fire and Ice sides are capable of. I question where this line between these 2 sides are. I kind of just assume it all come back to the CotF.

Maybe because magic is more powerful there or maybe because it is just so inhospitable that people only go there cause it is a safe haven for practicing magic. It used to be pretty big when magic was strong, but when it waned people left or simply did not go there. Also, people don't go there for raising their families. There is no child in Asshai.

I'm more curious about the bit about the Dothraki talking about Ghost Grass and Asshai in AGOT and how they know about it, considering the distance between the Dothraki Sea and Asshai.

Traders from Asshai do trade in Vaes Dothrak, so do the warrior women from the bone mountains and traders from Asshai. This doesn't completely dismiss your suspicion but does offer an alternative

We are told that there are precious gems to be found in the mountains that surround the cities, given that people will breathe ash every day to mine coal for next to nothing, I am not surprised people would risk their lives to find rubies and emeralds. 

We are also told that there are no laws, and that people can practice any type of magic they like.  This must be appealing for people trying to practice blood magic, or shadowbinding.  Since Mellisandre indicates that her magic was stronger there than even Dragonstone, which clearly has some fire magic properties, it is also not surprising that those who wish to learn magic would go there.  Over time it would have snowballed, with people like Marwyn and MMD going there and learning from each other, trading knowledge.  I am also sure that there are more than enough traders willing to bring food and water to the city, which they probably get an enormous sum for, thus allowing people to stay.

Marwyn is hardly a major character. He just showed up, spoke some polemic and then left. For all I know he may have been a paranoid liar.

Except Mirri confirms that she trained with a Maester Marwyn in Asshai. He may not be a major character in the sense of Rob or Tyrion, but he's been in the text longer than Mel and IMO as small a character as Mel. The show has blown her up more, but in the books she's not as relevant or mentioned alot till you finally get a POV in the last book. Unless her just being some what prominent in the flow of events makes her a main character. In which case alotttttt of people are main characters, except maybe inn keepers and shop owners? I guess Arys Oakhearts a main character too? He got more chapters than Mel. 

Except Mirri confirms that she trained with a Maester Marwyn in Asshai. He may not be a major character in the sense of Rob or Tyrion, but he's been in the text longer than Mel and IMO as small a character as Mel. The show has blown her up more, but in the books she's not as relevant or mentioned alot till you finally get a POV in the last book. Unless her just being some what prominent in the flow of events makes her a main character. In which case alotttttt of people are main characters, except maybe inn keepers and shop owners? I guess Arys Oakhearts a main character too? He got more chapters than Mel. 

Eh, she was a major player in practically every Davos chapter in Clash and Storm until she got her own POV in Dance. She's one of the governing influences on Stannis and now apparently Jon. Marywn... taught some stuff to someone Dany knew and talked to Sam. That's about it. If you think Marwyn is a major character.... there must be hundreds if a few mentions and one scene qualifies.

Eh, she was a major player in practically every Davos chapter in Clash and Storm until she got her own POV in Dance. She's one of the governing influences on Stannis and now apparently Jon. Marywn... taught some stuff to someone Dany knew and talked to Sam. That's about it. If you think Marwyn is a major character.... there must be hundreds if a few mentions and one scene qualifies.

No, you cant read. I said they're both minor characters, MEL included. Irrelevant of who's a major or minor character, there are enough people traveling to know this tale. Dany didn't hear about it from Mel. Marwyn being in Asshai is also backed by Mirri. Dany speaks Dothraki also, so if it wasn't true, im sure she would know as she is fluent in a few languages. So it is likely true, and there is likely a reason for it.

No, you cant read. I said they're both minor characters, MEL included. Irrelevant of who's a major or minor character, there are enough people traveling to know this tale. Dany didn't hear about it from Mel. Marwyn being in Asshai is also backed by Mirri. Dany speaks Dothraki also, so if it wasn't true, im sure she would know as she is fluent in a few languages. So it is likely true, and there is likely a reason for it.

You're the one who mentioned Marywn in reply to my comment "no major chars besides Mel" thus starting this discussion....

None of that is for sure true.

Septon Barth was mostly right about everything and none of that he thought was correct. Also Melissandre remembers times of her being a slave there, or at least a young girl and "melony" etc

Then again there was the "long before asshai" so cant say for sure on that aspect

mel isn't really that minor. Just cause some aren't Jon Snow, Dany,  Tyrion etc doesn't mean they are minor. Minor is like Salladohr Saan and Moon Boy.

Mel obviously has something pretty big to do the plot and has been apart of many big things already

Also if the theory comes true (i believe in the theory and am pretty certain) where she is the daughter of Blood Raven and Shiera could be pretty damn appointment

Archived