Star Wars Episode VII THE SPOILERS AWAKEN

Corvinus85

Man, this thread moves fast. I have been reading all your posts attentively and after thinking about them, I have to agree with pretty much every "nickpick" I have read on here so far.  That's what really brings this movie down. And then it hit me. This is a SW movie, it does rip-off ANH, but what it really reminds me of outside of that is the first Avengers movie. It too was really good and fun on a first watch, but the flaws of The Avengers became really noticeable on rewatches (a dragging first half, chitauri being pretty shitty antagonists, etc.).

TFA has something similar going on.

People always have to nitpick, which is fine but why can't they go watch the Fast and the furious and nitpick, how those piles of dog shit make money is beyond me. But generally I here it is what it is and it's not meant to be believable, well Star Wars is not exactly a documentary, Carrie was not note perfect and it bothered me sooooooooooo much, I am soooooo offended I could totally do better... Han came out of hyperspace in atmosphere how is that possible? Sure Hyper space is not possible at all, but lets ignore that fact and ask how the fantasy science fiction can have him come out in atmosphere because it matters so much in a world of lightsabers, and galactic giant space cannons and the force. Hey how can Wolverine have a healing factor and adamantium claws? I call bullshit on that, how is that believable? He should just be normal and carry some knives.

My only real complaints were that the movie went by to fast and I would of been happier if it had been longer, and I am trying to figure out if Poe is a liar or just bad writing. Because he some how managed to get thrown from the tie fighter even though his half of the hatch was not open, the windshield was not broken and his jacket was lying right in front of the tie fighter. The Jacket he was wearing while strapped into the fighter. Getting him thrown from that jacket and tie fighter makes no sense.  He woke up miles away? It does not make since how did he get thrown out of his jacket straps and sealed cockpit? Could be bad writing or he could be lying to Finn after he ditched him. Which would of made more sense, because he does not know him and this could be a set up to find Luke for all he knows, but the story does not seem to touch on it, Finn asks and Poe seems to tell a pretty simple lie to spot given we are shown the wreckage and jacket. I actually hope we find out it is a lie. But it is so odd, Finn seemed to not look for BB-8 and seemed to easily get off world and back to the rebels. Maybe JJ just wanted to get him out of the picture and he was nothing more than a plot device for Finn and BB-8, after that he just becomes Wedge on steroids shooting down entire Tie Squadrons by himself, which was also the worst looking shot in the movie form me when he drops like 10 fighters in 10 seconds not even using maneuvers just neck breaking video game hard turns. 

I was never a fan of the Rule of Two. It sounds cool, but it makes no sense and never worked. I mean, yeah, sure, this way the Sith Lord knew who was going betray him, but then got betrayed and killed anyway. :lol:

Ah don't buy it that was just the typical Jedi mistake of always labeling something. Some Jedi probably captured a Sith long long ago and was like how many of you are their, and the guy who was covering for his buddies was like, ummmmmm two yeah that's it, there are always only two of us moro... Jedi Master. Oh man only two of you this sure will be easy. Palp was an idiot because Plagueis told him that story and he bought it, it's like a Sith test these days. If you believe it you will only rise so far. You can't trust those Sith, they lie.

Why Kira (TOR reference)?
I was thinking that it will be Nomi.

Kira was the rumored name from the early scripts, IIRC. There was also some prop company in Germany that shipped a model of Rey's speeder marked "Kira's speeder". Nomi would have been cool, too, but the fact that it's a name that comes from TOR is also a bonus.

I don't mind the rule of two. Since the Sith always covet power, having many Sith running around results in plenty of backstabbing and possible even civil war. Though those Darth Bane books are no longer canon, but the character technically is, I think it makes sense to assume that the fall of the Sith in the old days had more to do with their nature than with the Jedi overpowering them.

I don't mind the rule of two. Since the Sith always covet power, having many Sith running around results in plenty of backstabbing and possible even civil war. Though those Darth Bane books are no longer canon, but the character technically is, I think it makes sense to assume that the fall of the Sith in the old days had more to do with their nature than with the Jedi overpowering them.

That's kinda my point though. The Rule of Two doesn't really seem to have any noticeable effect on the Lords being betrayed and overthrown by their apprentices. 

I just watched it.

First, I had a moment of...sheer emotion when Han stepped back onto the bridge of the Falcon. Like I sucked in a breath and fought the feels.

I liked Kylo Ren, and I like that they are building him up. He's being groomed, and how he went about it...while heart wrenching, was good.

I had no problem with Rey as an actress, or with her character. I am firmly in the camp of her being Luke's daughter.

The pacing was excellent, the execution. They needed this bridge to rebuild the universe a little bit and I really enjoyed that. I liked BB8 as well. Overall, just an excellent movie. For me it sits with New Hope and behind Empire.

On the whole Snoke = Plagueis (possibly), Snoke's appearance was somewhat similar to the Force ghost appearances of various Light Side Jedi in the original trilogy, so I suppose it is possible that Plagueis could have been killed by Palpatine and still reappear in these movies.

The system destroyed by the Starkiller Base was "the Hosnian system", and appears to have been one of the places that the Senate met - it (the Senate) moved from planet to planet occasionally (or something, I am skim reading various websites to understand exactly what the SKB attacked).

On the whole Snoke = Plagueis (possibly), Snoke's appearance was somewhat similar to the Force ghost appearances of various Light Side Jedi in the original trilogy, so I suppose it is possible that Plagueis could have been killed by Palpatine and still reappear in these movies.

Maybe his secret to conquering death was in becoming a force ghost, like when Obi-Wan tells Vader that he will become more powerful than he can possibly imagine.

Maybe Palpatine actually helped Plagueis achieve his master plan by killing him.

The last three are proper good fun films. Silly, yes, but no sillier than, well, Star Wars.

Well that is the point though, if so many people can suspend disbelief with a franchise like F&F which is actually largely based in the real world but tends to be very over the top, then suspension of disbelief for Star Wars which fully takes place in a different reality with space magic and fake science should not be a problem yet some people seem to struggle with some of those ideas. Not saying you, but some.

I actually found completely the opposite. Most of the nitpicks bothered me less on my second viewing, not more, and the things that still bother me aren't really a big deal. 

I think some people are just expecting too much, and (this isn't meant as a personal criticism), that is going to stop them enjoying not only this Star Wars movie, but any future ones. It's not perfect, but it is Star Wars, and it's a lot of fun. It sets a good foundation for the future and it expands on the existing Star Wars canon.

I'm just doing my best to avoid getting into the kind of nitpicking that it's easy to fall into as a big Star Wars fan - if we wanted to, we could pick apart any Star Wars story, including any of the OT films - but enjoying the film rather than picking it apart at every opportunity is a choice, just like suspension of disbelief, IMO.

I feel the same way. I found the second viewing to be far more enjoyable. Of course, some of that had to do with the fact that the most obnoxious person I've ever sat near was behind me for opening night. The nitpicks are there, absolutely. But they didn't bother me.

I'm always conflicted on these matters. Am I caught up in opening weekend excitement? I certainly was with TPM and I came to not like that movie much at all. I don't think the same will happen with TFA. But sometimes it's hard to properly assess new SW stuff because of the powerful nostalgia associated with the originals.

Kira was the rumored name from the early scripts, IIRC. There was also some prop company in Germany that shipped a model of Rey's speeder marked "Kira's speeder". Nomi would have been cool, too, but the fact that it's a name that comes from TOR is also a bonus.

Makes since Kira and Kylo would be to obvious and Kylo was his changed name so it would be a continuity glitch. It would be really obvious if it was Kira Rey and Kylo Ren, gosh who are her parents?

Archived