Small Questions v. 10104

Rhaenys_Targaryen

46 minutes ago, Tom Sevenstreams said:

When Tyrion is on the Wall with Jon, he says to him- Many of my kin are bastards, but I've never had a bastard for a friend.  (paraphrased)  Seems he is talking about his niece and nephews, are there other Lannister bastards?  Is this quote used to support the A+J=C+J theory?

The only Lannister bastard I can recall (other than the Baratheon children) is Joy Hill, Gerion's daughter.

How do you suppose Aurane Waters got by after bending his knee to joff after Blackwater till we see him again in Feast for Crows? I mean where do you suppose he lived after he was released, if he was a captive. where were his quarters? Where did he eat?

Are there dorms in the red keep where anyone can board? Are there food halls or a mess where you just show up when meals are being served?

For that matter, how did Jalabhar Xho and Thoros of Myr get by when they were in King's Landing, could they just hang around languishing and drinking with the king?

Pardons if this has been talked to death somewhere else on the site, but I could not find it if it has been.

What's the deal with Selyse playing match-maker-extraordinaire while at Castle Black? Am I overlooking the obvious? She clearly has no love for the wildlings ("let them die" re: Hardhome) but she is really wanting to marry them in to assorted south-wallers. It's hilarious how she thinks she can "tame" Val in anyway.

Something must be up with this.

Added: I somehow think that Stannis will not be happy with this, that he may think Selyse is overstepping her rights.

14 hours ago, caprico4 said:

How do you suppose Aurane Waters got by after bending his knee to joff after Blackwater till we see him again in Feast for Crows? I mean where do you suppose he lived after he was released,

Fantasy medieval times boast taverns with lodgings and salaries paid in coin. So Aurane Waters might have found an inn with lodgings and paid his stay.

In more authentic medieval times, taverns and inns with lodgings were rather uncommon, I am told. Aurane would have had the choice to stay with distant Velarion relatives or retainers. Lacking any (just for the sake of possibility), he would have inquired for men of his trade, and stayed with them.

14 hours ago, caprico4 said:

For that matter, how did Jalabhar Xho and Thoros of Myr get by when they were in King's Landing, could they just hang around languishing and drinking with the king?

Same as above. I'd imagine that Jalabhar Xho might get some incomes by the likes of Baelish or some noble families for informing on court matters or even playing a smallish part in smallish intrigues or plans, like bursting seemingly unconnected into some conversation in the most/least favorable moment.

Thoros might have had some income through his faith by way of travelling partisans delivering him a coin there and then.

8 hours ago, TheSnowInWinterfell said:

Does anyone else think DarkStar will steal Dawn and end up in fAegon's kingsguard, as a sort of "Dark" or "Black" inverse of Rhaegar and Arthur?

With Doran's dislike for Darkstar, and Arianne's dislike now as well, I don't see those chances being high, at the moment. House Martell is likely to support Aegon, and it would not do to offend them by appointing Gerold to such a position. The strength Doran and Arianne bring is much greater than he strength Gerold could ever bring to Aegon's cause.

And let's not forget, that High Hermitage is Gerold's own seat. He'd need to give that up, if he joins a KG. And he might not be so willing to do that.

Did rickard stark remarry/ going to remarry, The wiki page for Brandon says he joined his fathers wedding party after leaving Riverrun before both of their executions, I didn't recall any record of a second marriage but I think I may have overlooked something, can anyone help? 

Was or did Rickard stark remarry? The wiki page for Brandon says he joined his fathers wedding party after leaving Riverrun before both of their executions, I didn't recall any record of a second marriage but I think I may have overlooked something, can anyone help? 

The wedding party was going to the wedding of Brandon and Cat, IIRC

Does anyone else think DarkStar will steal Dawn and end up in fAegon's kingsguard, as a sort of "Dark" or "Black" inverse of Rhaegar and Arthur?

With Doran's dislike for Darkstar, and Arianne's dislike now as well, I don't see those chances being high, at the moment. House Martell is likely to support Aegon, and it would not do to offend them by appointing Gerold to such a position. The strength Doran and Arianne bring is much greater than he strength Gerold could ever bring to Aegon's cause.

And let's not forget, that High Hermitage is Gerold's own seat. He'd need to give that up, if he joins a KG. And he might not be so willing to do that.

All really good points.

Do we know how that will go though? The Arianne/fAegon meeting? If it doesn't go the way the Martells want, and the GC breaks some kind of siege at HH..... we will have to see I guess

Is Starfall a port or can it be? Everyone is talking about Lyanna and Rheagar in the main thread and I cannot find a place to ask this: Why is it that nobody suspects Rheagar being across the narrow sea while the rebellion was in progress? Especially if Starfall is a port. Is it written somewhere? (I haven't read the World Book and whatever I ask someone says was written in the world book. sorry if this is really dumb or has been discussed before).

16 minutes ago, shizett said:

Is Starfall a port or can it be? Everyone is talking about Lyanna and Rheagar in the main thread and I cannot find a place to ask this: Why is it that nobody suspects Rheagar being across the narrow sea while the rebellion was in progress? Especially if Starfall is a port. Is it written somewhere? (I haven't read the World Book and whatever I ask someone says was written in the world book. sorry if this is really dumb or has been discussed before).

Well Rhaegar did die on the Trident, it's known.

But there's a theory that Lyanna actually gave birth in Starfall. ToJ is a good place for an ambush, but not for birthing. The three KG could very well fight on their own, they had no need for her. She was much better in Arthur's home.

Just now, finger said:

Well Rhaegar did die on the Trident, it's known.

But there's a theory that Lyanna actually gave birth in Starfall. ToJ is a good place for an ambush, but not for birthing. The three KG could very well fight on their own, they had no need for her. She was much better in Arthur's home.

Oh no. I meant during his absence (for the first half of the war), could Rheagar (and maybe Arthur) been across the narrow sea having left from Starfall?

1 hour ago, shizett said:

No, its not a port.  You can google a map.

4 hours ago, TheSnowInWinterfell said:

All really good points.

Do we know how that will go though? The Arianne/fAegon meeting? If it doesn't go the way the Martells want, and the GC breaks some kind of siege at HH..... we will have to see I guess

Answer based on a sample chapter and a reading from the Winds of Winter

In the first Winds of Winter Arianne chapter, Arianne is on her way to Aegon's camp, and in the second, she meets several of the men of the Golden Company. Aegon is not there, as he's busy with his march on Storm's End, and towards the end of the chapter, Storm's End has been taken, and Arianne starts her journey towards him.

So the meeting seems rather certain. How it will go is something we can, at the moment, only speculate about.

That some of the Golden Company will be send to High Hermitage seems unlikely. Aegon is busy with a conquest, and his sights are set north, not south. Doran has already dispatched someone to Darkstar's castle, and if need be, can sent some of his other men. He has the armies of Dorne under his command, after all.

4 hours ago, shizett said:

It's not specified that there is a port, but ships can dock there, presumably, since Starfall is located on an island... Makes going to the mainland and back much easier :)

As to why no one has expressed the idea of Rhaegar having been across the sea, there simply have not been any hints that he, or any of those with him, went across the sea. Near Harrenhal before the Rebellion, and ToJ are thusfar the only places Rhaegar has been mentioned to have been. After that, we get Gerold Hightower being send out to find Rhaegar, and Rhaegar returning to KL.

No, its not a port.  You can google a map.

I disagree. It lies pretty close to Torrentine and bay. Most pictures and WesterosCraft placed the castle on island. That makes sense as Ashara jumped from tower to the sea and body was never recovered. I imagine that somebody falling from tower lands pretty close to it so water has to be close. And even if castle us far from water, Dayne lands obviously have some trade docks or fishermen harbors.

13 minutes ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

It's not specified that there is a port, but ships can dock there, presumably, since Starfall is located on an island... Makes going to the mainland and back much easier :)

As to why no one has expressed the idea of Rhaegar having been across the sea, there simply have not been any hints that he, or any of those with him, went across the sea. Near Harrenhal before the Rebellion, and ToJ are thusfar the only places Rhaegar has been mentioned to have been. After that, we get Gerold Hightower being send out to find Rhaegar, and Rhaegar returning to KL.

Thank you, very complete answer :)

14 minutes ago, Blue Tiger said:

I disagree. It lies pretty close to Torrentine and bay. Most pictures and WesterosCraft placed the castle on island. That makes sense as Ashara jumped from tower to the sea and body was never recovered. I imagine that somebody falling from tower lands pretty close to it so water has to be close.

YES! Exactly. I did check a map before I posed the question, but it wasn't that obvious. and then there was the specific mention of Ashara's suicide ending in the sea which just highlights how close to the sea it actually is (and is just very peculiar information). Thank you, now I do not feel dumb :D

Archived