Small Questions v. 10104

Rhaenys_Targaryen

5 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I think Qhorin's legend of training himself to fight as well with his left hands and the attention paid to Jaime's training with Illyn sets up Jaime for the same ability. There's no need for a new hand. 

New Hand = New Identity?

1 minute ago, Dr Qyburn M.D said:

So how come Varys didn't know where Tywin was when he was on the way to Kings Landing to save the city from Stannis? I mean with his host and the Tyrell host there must of been thousands of men-at-arms, how could they all hide from Varys's little birds??

Varys's  little birds are in the Red Keep. He has informers spread about the realm, but he's not a greenseer. Tywin and Tyrells hauled ass down the Rush to King's Landing. So, unless one of Varys spies happened to be along their lines of march, and had the capacity to send a homing pige, err... raven, how would Varys have gotten word? It's possible a spy aware of the events at the Red Fork might have advised Varys of Tywin's retreat to the southeast, but that's all he could have learned definitively. 

Is there any mention of what House Royce and the Mountain Clans of the Vale think of each other? They both have a First Men origin, but now they have vastly different cultures.

Do the Mountain Clans even realise that they and the Royces both have First Men blood (however diluted it may be)? What do they think of the Royces? I'm sure going the other way the Royces would hate the Mountain Clans for their 'dishonorable' behaviour (raiding and pillaging), but is there any time when a Royce actually talks about the Mountain Clans? 

I'm don't think it mentions anywhere what the Clans think of the Royces (I'm happy to be proven wrong). I'm fairly certain the Bronze Yohn mentions something about the Clans at some point, but I don't remember what and when.

2 hours ago, Neptunium said:

Is there any mention of what House Royce and the Mountain Clans of the Vale think of each other? They both have a First Men origin, but now they have vastly different cultures.

Do the Mountain Clans even realise that they and the Royces both have First Men blood (however diluted it may be)? What do they think of the Royces? I'm sure going the other way the Royces would hate the Mountain Clans for their 'dishonorable' behaviour (raiding and pillaging), but is there any time when a Royce actually talks about the Mountain Clans? 

I'm don't think it mentions anywhere what the Clans think of the Royces (I'm happy to be proven wrong). I'm fairly certain the Bronze Yohn mentions something about the Clans at some point, but I don't remember what and when.

Nope. Nothing. I think we should assume that Bronze Yohn looks on the mountain clans the way the Lords of the North look on the wildlings north of the Wall. However, if wee Robert dies and young Harold weds Petyr's presumed bastard daughter, Bronze Yohn might become desperate to find a stronger claimant to the Eyrie. If it turns out that Timett is the legitimate son of Timett of the Burned Men and the seventh daughter of Alys Arryn and Elys Waynwood, who was carried off by the Burned Men, then he would have a stronger claim to the Eyrie than Harold, son of a Hardyng and the eighth daughter of Alys Arryn and Elys Waynwood. And if Petyr gains the support of a King Aegon, and enough lords of the Mountain and Vale, he may need the support of his fellow first men in the mountain clans (and Tyrion and Daenerys too). 

9 minutes ago, Isobel Harper said:

Is a sellsail a captian with his own fleet of soldiers, swordsmen, etc.?  Or is a sellsail more or less a sellsword on a ship, working under a larger company?

I would think that the term would primarily refer to those with sails to sell (captains).  But individual crew members of the ship may also claim the title in a collective way.  I don't think an independent mercenary who happens to ride on ships would count.

19 minutes ago, CJ McLannister said:

I would think that the term would primarily refer to those with sails to sell (captains).  But individual crew members of the ship may also claim the title in a collective way.  I don't think an independent mercenary who happens to ride on ships would count.

I agree. The term "sellsail" is used to describe the "sellsail captains from Mr hired by Stannis, and Cersei gives Highgarden her leave to hire sellsails to combat the Ironmen on the Sunset Sea. The captain of the Huntress told Samwell that Hightower had gone to Lys to hire sellsails hoping winkle a proper fleet out of his whore of a sister. 

In ACOK Tyrion uses a tunnel going from Chataya's house to a horse stable. It was built for a former Hand.

I wonder who this Hand might have been and if it has any importance. Since Varys knows about it, it points to a Hand he has known. Most had not endured long enough to make such provisions. So, my shortlist is Tywin and Arryn. I guess in both cases it might arise doubts on their children's parentage.

4 hours ago, finger said:

In ACOK Tyrion uses a tunnel going from Chataya's house to a horse stable. It was built for a former Hand.

I wonder who this Hand might have been and if it has any importance. Since Varys knows about it, it points to a Hand he has known. Most had not endured long enough to make such provisions. So, my shortlist is Tywin and Arryn. I guess in both cases it might arise doubts on their children's parentage.

2 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Most here assume Tywin. 

It was totally Tywin. I'd point out that Jon Arryn had no qualms about entering a brothel in broad daylight with Stannis to check out one of Robert's bastards. 

So um...

That thread about worst line the series got me thinking about the infamous Cersei line:

Whilst you snored, I would lick your sons off my face and fingers one by one, all those pale sticky princes.

Isn't it a little weird she'd think about it that way? Princes, plural?

I get that it's not that hard to figure out that when daddy loves mommy very much, he plants his seed in her tummy and whatnot, but from that to figuring out it's actually a whole bunch of seeds every single time... Didn't we need, like, microscopes to realize that?

So um...

That thread about worst line the series got me thinking about the infamous Cersei line:

Whilst you snored, I would lick your sons off my face and fingers one by one, all those pale sticky princes.

I get that it's not that hard to figure out that when daddy loves mommy very much, he plants his seed in her tummy and whatnot, but from that to figuring out it's actually a whole bunch of seeds every single time... Didn't we need, like, microscopes to realize that?

Twins are often born in House Lannister so they probably know that it can contain many 'seeds'.

On 2/25/2016 at 1:49 PM, Roddy Darwin said:

So um...

On 2/25/2016 at 1:58 PM, Blue Tiger said:

Twins are often born in House Lannister so they probably know that it can contain many 'seeds'.

Perhaps this, but also the multiple opportunities that Robert had to get Cersei pregnant comes to mind most of all.  She'd been doing this for years.

On 25 February 2016 at 7:49 PM, Roddy Darwin said:

So um...

I suspect it's just that GRRM is writing as an author with the benefit of modern science.

Does anyone have the quote handy regarding religion in Valyria from the WOIAF? My recollection was that it was similar to Braavos in that more or less anything was worshipped but I'd like to check 

eta; if someone who is not on mobile and can create the new OP  wants to start a new thread I'll pin it while I'm about

Archived