Small Questions v. 10104

Rhaenys_Targaryen

24 minutes ago, Blue Tiger said:

No, its not a port.  You can google a map.

I disagree. It lies pretty close to Torrentine and bay. Most pictures and WesterosCraft placed the castle on island. That makes sense as Ashara jumped from tower to the sea and body was never recovered. I imagine that somebody falling from tower lands pretty close to it so water has to be close. And even if castle us far from water, Dayne lands obviously have some trade docks or fishermen harbors.

The official map in the map book shows it clearly inland from the cost on a river.  Can boats dock there?  Probably.  As to it being a port, castles are not ports.  Ports are towns and are general near castles, not necessary, but I can only think of 1 castle in all of Westeros that has it's own port and that is Casterly Rock.

No, its not a port.  You can google a map.

I disagree. It lies pretty close to Torrentine and bay. Most pictures and WesterosCraft placed the castle on island. That makes sense as Ashara jumped from tower to the sea and body was never recovered. I imagine that somebody falling from tower lands pretty close to it so water has to be close. And even if castle us far from water, Dayne lands obviously have some trade docks or fishermen harbors.

"The official map in the map book shows it clearly inland from the cost on a river.  Can boats dock there?  Probably.  As to it being a port, castles are not ports.  Ports are towns and are general near castles, not necessary, but I can only think of 1 castle in all of Westeros that has it's own port and that is Casterly Rock."

So how on earth Ashara jumped from Palestone Tower into the sea? She flew 5 miles? She borrowed Littlefinger's teleport from season 5 ?

24 minutes ago, Blue Tiger said:

"The official map in the map book shows it clearly inland from the cost on a river.  Can boats dock there?  Probably.  As to it being a port, castles are not ports.  Ports are towns and are general near castles, not necessary, but I can only think of 1 castle in all of Westeros that has it's own port and that is Casterly Rock."

So how on earth Ashara jumped from Palestone Tower into the sea? She flew 5 miles? She borrowed Littlefinger's teleport from season 5 ?

Or sea is just the saying and she jumped into a river which flows into the sea.  I'm just looking at the map...

49 minutes ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

The official map in the map book shows it clearly inland from the cost on a river.  Can boats dock there?  Probably.  As to it being a port, castles are not ports.  Ports are towns and are general near castles, not necessary, but I can only think of 1 castle in all of Westeros that has it's own port and that is Casterly Rock.

Dragonstone has been shown on maps as a castle instead of a town, but its port is mentioned in ACOK and TPATQ.

At the mouth of the Torrentine, House Dayne raised its castle on an island where that roaring, tumultuous river broadens to meet the sea. (TWOIAF)

5 hours ago, shizett said:

Is Starfall a port or can it be? 

At the mouth of the Torrentine, House Dayne raised its castle on an island where that roaring, tumultuous river broadens to meet the sea. Legend says the first Dayne was led to the site when he followed the track of a falling star and there found a stone of magical powers. His descendants ruled over the western mountains for centuries thereafter as Kings of the Torrenting and Lords of Starfall. (TWoI&F 238)

Is it a port? Maybe. It sure sounds like it could be. Boats must be able to go to the island. How large of ships can reach Starfall is an open question.

1 hour ago, TheSnowInWinterfell said:

OK, so being new to the forum, I have a question about proper usage of said forum. If i want to get book readers opinions about something that i saw on the show, (easter egg) where would the proper place be to post such a question?

We're not supposed to talk about the show here at all. 

2 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

We're not supposed to talk about the show here at all. 

Right, this is the book section, and I have a question involving book material, and an Easter Egg in the show that involves something only talked about in the book, and not on the show. So my question, is where should I ask that question?

10 hours ago, SFDanny said:

Is it a port? Maybe. It sure sounds like it could be. Boats must be able to go to the island. How large of ships can reach Starfall is an open question.

Port or not, I'd say that sailing from Starfall should be very easy, and less noticed that from Oldtown. This is the point of the question, I guess.

Whatever Rhaegar had to do in the free cities is another one. Or who else might have sailed from there.

9 hours ago, TheSnowInWinterfell said:

Right, this is the book section, and I have a question involving book material, and an Easter Egg in the show that involves something only talked about in the book, and not on the show. So my question, is where should I ask that question?

What the heck? Fire away, I say! If we shut down the whole Internet, so be it. 

On February 5, 2016 at 4:32 PM, Nittanian said:

Dragonstone has been shown on maps as a castle instead of a town, but its port is mentioned in ACOK and TPATQ.

Dragonstone is actually the perfect example.  Dragonstone is the island, and fortress name, just like Pyke.  In both cases the port/town are not within the castle walls, but separate.  I'm not saying they aren't close, but the port/town are not part of the castle.  Only Storms End and Casterly Rock have ways for ships to enter the fortress itself.

12 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

What the heck? Fire away, I say! If we shut down the whole Internet, so be it. 

OK, so in episode 8 of season 5, "Hardhome" there is what looks like the shadow of a Dragon that flies through the clouds. Its real quick and hard to see if you aren't looking for it. Its reminiscient of Drogons flight through Valyria. Now considering this scene was the shot of the cliffs by the wildling settlement Hardhome, there is no way It is Dany's and its obviously (at least to me) a subtle nod to the Ice Dragon. With all the hints in the books and the stories in WoIaF, does anyone else think this may be some very subtle foreshadowing that an Ice Dragon will be introduced to the story at some point?

OK, so in episode 8 of season 5, "Hardhome" there is what looks like the shadow of a Dragon that flies through the clouds. Its real quick and hard to see if you aren't looking for it. Its reminiscient of Drogons flight through Valyria. Now considering this scene was the shot of the cliffs by the wildling settlement Hardhome, there is no way It is Dany's and its obviously (at least to me) a subtle nod to the Ice Dragon. With all the hints in the books and the stories in WoIaF, does anyone else think this may be some very subtle foreshadowing that an Ice Dragon will be introduced to the story at some point?

See, that's  the problem with discussing the show and the book simultaneously. They are two different stories. I have no idea what will turn up in the fanfic on HBO but I know there are many readers who believe we will see an ice dragon. But there are others including me who believe that Jon is the ice dragon. 

6 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

See, that's  the problem with discussing the show and the book simultaneously. They are two different stories. I have no idea what will turn up in the fanfic on HBO but I know there are many readers who believe we will see an ice dragon. But there are others including me who believe that Jon is the ice dragon. 

Im a reader first, and I believe that an ice dragon will be part of the story in some way. Whether thats an actual Ice Dragon named Winter (skeptical, but cool idea) or Jon, a Targ dragon, Im not sure yet. I dont tkae the show as canon, i agree its more like fanfic, but it was an awesome little thing they hid in those clouds regardless. I do like some of the subtle foreshadowing the show does. Such as Littlefinger and Sansa in the crypts, Jon walking in when Aemon tells Sam that a Targ alone in the world is terrible thing, and this little scene is one more of these subtle things i enjoy. I dont think it means anything when it comes to the books, as I personally believe GRRM doesn't know much of what he is going to do until he actually does it, but regardless I like the subtle stuff in the show, just like the books.  The only reason I asked this here, was because I wasnt sure whether I should ask this question in the show section or an Ice Dragon thread in the book section. It seems someone mentioned it in the thread for this specific episode and it didnt get much of a response, so I guess not too many people caught it or Im just weird and am making more of it than I should. BTW, have you seen what Im talking about?

51 minutes ago, TheSnowInWinterfell said:

Im a reader first, and I believe that an ice dragon will be part of the story in some way. Whether thats an actual Ice Dragon named Winter (skeptical, but cool idea) or Jon, a Targ dragon, Im not sure yet. I dont tkae the show as canon, i agree its more like fanfic, but it was an awesome little thing they hid in those clouds regardless. I do like some of the subtle foreshadowing the show does. Such as Littlefinger and Sansa in the crypts, Jon walking in when Aemon tells Sam that a Targ alone in the world is terrible thing, and this little scene is one more of these subtle things i enjoy. I dont think it means anything when it comes to the books, as I personally believe GRRM doesn't know much of what he is going to do until he actually does it, but regardless I like the subtle stuff in the show, just like the books.  The only reason I asked this here, was because I wasnt sure whether I should ask this question in the show section or an Ice Dragon thread in the book section. It seems someone mentioned it in the thread for this specific episode and it didnt get much of a response, so I guess not too many people caught it or Im just weird and am making more of it than I should. BTW, have you seen what Im talking about?

In any work of fiction, including GRRM's other works Ice dragons trump fire dragons.  Since The Song of Ice and Fire is how the common folk refer to the events of the story in the future, there are obviously common folk left after the events and that means the WW's are ultimately defeated.  The biggest problem with any theory of an Ice Dragon is that basically means humans would lose.

11 minutes ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

It's true that in "The Ice Dragon", said Ice dragon defeated 3 fire dragons, but the Ice Dragon also seemed to be inherently good, as it saved a peasant girl and her family. If an Ice Dragon makes an appearance it doesn't necessarily mean that it will defeat whatever is in its path. It may or may not be on the same side as The Others. It may or may not be ridden. If it is ridden the rider could be Bran or Jon or an Other or _________ (fill in the blank) It's all speculation at this point, but it sure is fun.

3 hours ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

In any work of fiction, including GRRM's other works Ice dragons trump fire dragons.  Since The Song of Ice and Fire is how the common folk refer to the events of the story in the future, there are obviously common folk left after the events and that means the WW's are ultimately defeated.  The biggest problem with any theory of an Ice Dragon is that basically means humans would lose.

Is it? This is the first time I hear about it.

4 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Is it? This is the first time I hear about it.

Yes, I believe there is an SSM indicating that there is song "Song of Ice and Fire" now but that's  how our story would be remembered in universe. 

8 hours ago, TheSnowInWinterfell said:

So, when HBO Arya, referring to HBO Jaqen, told HBO Sandor, "I know a man who could kill you with his little finger," do you suppose they were hinting at anything?

Archived