Small Questions v. 10104

Rhaenys_Targaryen

Irri and Jhiqui argued about Rakharo. "You are too skinny for him," Jhiqui was saying.

"You are almost a boy. Rakharo does not bed with boys. This is known."

Irri bristled back. "It is known that you are almost a cow. Rakharo does not bed with cows."

Wrong thread. I'd like to blame the new layout, but I'm likely to blame. Of course if this postvends up in the funniest moments thread...

I'm tempted to update the wiki. 

Rakharo is older than Jhogo, he and has drooping black mustachios.[1] Over the course of the series, Rakharo grows taller and more muscular, and he adds four new bells to his braid to represent his victories in battle.[2] He does not bed with boys or cows.[3] 

I'm tempted to update the wiki. 

Rakharo is older than Jhogo, he and has drooping black mustachios.[1] Over the course of the series, Rakharo grows taller and more muscular, and he adds four new bells to his braid to represent his victories in battle.[2] He does not bed with boys or cows.[3] 

It is known.

Just finished reading A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms and I noticed that an error/inconsistency that was present when TMK was first published has not been corrected. The Old Ox is first called Buford Bulwer and then later he is referred to as Theomore Bulwer. Do we have any idea as to which is Martin's preference?

Which makes me wonder 2 things

Why rodrik says it - has he found something that makes home think Euron is full of it?

Why Euron is OK with rodrik basically calling him out as a liar in front of everyone - he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to let that slide!

Which makes me wonder 2 things

Why rodrik says it - has he found something that makes home think Euron is full of it?

Why Euron is OK with rodrik basically calling him out as a liar in front of everyone - he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to let that slide!

Why Rodrik makes the remark.. Well, it is a dangerous location, and not many men dare to sail through. And Euron doesn't have anything, IIRC, to prove he actually went there..

As to why Euron doesn't react to Rodrik's remark.. As Tyrion would put it: “When you tear out a man’s tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you’re only telling the world that you fear what he might say.” That might be the reason..

What Sansa chapter of Clash is this from "I will remember, Your Grace,” said Sansa, though she had always heard that love was a surer route to the people’s loyalty than fear. If I am ever a queen, I’ll make them love me.  I know its from the battle of blackwater but can't remember which.

Hello!

I have just read a World of Ice and Fire and in the section regarding the Dance of Dragons it mentioned that a couple of the dragons went missing. 

Is there a possibility that these dragons could still be alive, and thus appear in asoif, or do we know how long dragons live for? 

Hello!

I have just read a World of Ice and Fire and in the section regarding the Dance of Dragons it mentioned that a couple of the dragons went missing. 

Is there a possibility that these dragons could still be alive, and thus appear in asoif, or do we know how long dragons live for? 

Balerion the Black Dread died around the age of 200, of old age.. the Cannibal appears to have been too old already to have lived for another 170 years. Sheepstealer as well. Silverwing was the last dragon of the three of whom we don't know exactly when they died.. Can't say,  but I wouldn't bet on it. In any case, the last dragon known about died in 153 AC in Westeros, so unless Silverwing crossed the sea, she appears to have died before.. And even if she was known to have crossed the narrow sea, she would have travelled out of sight in order to no longer be considered alive in 153 AC.

Looking at the changes in magical abilities seen after Dany's dragons hatched, it seems as if there were no dragons in the years before. (because why else the change?)

Balerion the Black Dread died around the age of 200, of old age.. the Cannibal appears to have been too old already to have lived for another 170 years. Sheepstealer as well. Silverwing was the last dragon of the three of whom we don't know exactly when they died.. Can't say,  but I wouldn't bet on it. In any case, the last dragon known about died in 153 AC in Westeros, so unless Silverwing crossed the sea, she appears to have died before.. And even if she was known to have crossed the narrow sea, she would have travelled out of sight in order to no longer be considered alive in 153 AC.

Looking at the changes in magical abilities seen after Dany's dragons hatched, it seems as if there were no dragons in the years before. (because why else the change?)

i wasn't sure whether this was just information to wet the imagination or whether there was a chance there were hibernating dragons . The only mention I have seen about "hidden dragons" on this site was the winter fell dragon. 

Nothing spoilerish as far as I can tell, so the answer outside of spoiler tags :)

{SNIP}

From the point of view of Varys/Illyrio/etc., getting Daenerys on their side would have been important, which is why they went for it. She had the legitimacy, she has the dragons.. and to be honest, the fact that she has an army already does help as well. And Aegon was supposed to await her with the Golden Company, an army of his own.. so he wouldn't be completely unequal to her.. Though I'd call the dragons a good advantage on Daenerys' part.

Don't forget about the rampant sexism....  "The female will surely be glad to have a good strong male to take over for her so she can get back to just being pretty..."

What is the deal with currency in Westeros?

After reading Dunk and Egg recently, I realized they had Silver Stags before Baratheons and are still using Gold Dragons after the end of Targaryan Dynasty. Isn't it customary to change the currency or customize it for each king and definitely after change in Dynasty?

I would understand the Gold Dragon as a result of Robert's relationship to Targaryans (although still find it odd), but why the silver stag?!

What is the deal with currency in Westeros?

After reading Dunk and Egg recently, I realized they had Silver Stags before Baratheons and are still using Gold Dragons after the end of Targaryan Dynasty. Isn't it customary to change the currency or customize it for each king and definitely after change in Dynasty?

I would understand the Gold Dragon as a result of Robert's relationship to Targaryans (although still find it odd), but why the silver stag?!

Read my above post, something went very wrong with the quoting.

Lady Alayne, same thing I didn't mean to quote you.

I believe it is likely because of Orys Baratheons relationship with Aegon the conqueror.  As for keeping the Golden Dragons, Robert didn't change much of anything, and it would be awfully expensive to change every piece of currency in the realm and world anyway.

Oh cool :)

But in the "Mystery Knight" story, there is a scene where they are examining different coins and there are coins from different kings. Robert could have changed the new coins to something else, golden stags? It is just odd, he was King for 13 years and they must have been minting coins during this time, why not a new one.

Oh cool :)

But in the "Mystery Knight" story, there is a scene where they are examining different coins and there are coins from different kings. Robert could have changed the new coins to something else, golden stags? It is just odd, he was King for 13 years and they must have been minting coins during this time, why not a new one.

The coins had dragons on 1 side and a picture of the current king on the other, it is likely Roberts face was on any new golden dragon minted during his reign.  Robert is portrayed as being incredibly lazy accept for warfare, and he also worried that people saw him as a usurper.  He played on his claim through his Targ lineage, and probably thought some people would get upset at the change.

The coins had dragons on 1 side and a picture of the current king on the other, it is likely Roberts face was on any new golden dragon minted during his reign.  Robert is portrayed as being incredibly lazy accept for warfare, and he also worried that people saw him as a usurper.  He played on his claim through his Targ lineage, and probably thought some people would get upset at the change.

I see. Thanks

Archived