Robert Strong vs You

The Commentator

We know Robert Strong is freakishly big.  He wears armor that no other human could carry.  We have to assume the steel plate is very thick.  Cersei sent Robert Strong to come after you.  Yes, you're one of Robert's bastards.  You have one modern weapon you can use.  Only one.  A revolver.  What do you think is the minimum caliber that will be effective against this golem?  You're recoil shy.  You're scared of the gun's kick and you're not that good of a marksman. 

If you really want to make it a challenge, pretend you're exactly like Sam Tarly.

He is a scientifically necromancy construct… I will take my hollow points for wolves, destroy tissue without equal, would help since reanimated things work even in pieces. But well, armor. The thing is, you said recoil shy… although it is definitely not like me, I will have to think.

If he has the fire weakness, I would use tracing bullets… but I would have to get some ground otherwise they would hit but not lit.

Honestly, in your conditions… I would shoot, hope the kick on the armor would slow him a bit and run as fast as I can.

^^ I'm with above!^^ 

Toss it and run screaming!  Though the part about telling everyone about the headless zombie is a good one!  Wasn't part of my original plan - but whatever works!!  I'd try to toss the gun at his face, I think - I'd get the most distraction time out of that, I think.

But if he's in big, heavy armour, maybe I could literally just run circles around him until he's dizzy and tired - then shoot him right in the eye!

I'd rather choose a flamethrower, I doubt a revolver is very effective against a freakishly big, undead warrior.

I like this idea -- use that armor against him and turn it into a gigantic Dutch oven.

But to the OP, what caliber will be effective? There are some variables that need to be dealt with. Where's his head, on his shoulders or in Dorne? If he has his head, does he function like modern zombies (bullet to the brain kills them) or can he operate sans cranium? Just how thick is this armor?

To be safe, I'd use a 30mm "revolver" firing DU rounds, then mount that "revolver" to an A-10 Warthog and call it a day. Or maybe you could use this "revolver".

Knight Armaments' SR-25, no doubt...7.62mm should be adequate, has range of 1000+meters, so you could realistically get a clip in him before he even sees you.

you would have to get him at range, you let him get close enough (if using a shotty) you are done for.

same with flamethrower.

no way one shotty blast takes him out, by the time you reload you are done.

We know Robert Strong is freakishly big.  He wears armor that no other human could carry.  We have to assume the steel plate is very thick.  Cersei sent Robert Strong to come after you.  Yes, you're one of Robert's bastards.  You have one modern weapon you can use.  Only one.  A revolver.  What do you think is the minimum caliber that will be effective against this golem?  You're recoil shy.  You're scared of the gun's kick and you're not that good of a marksman. 

If you really want to make it a challenge, pretend you're exactly like Sam Tarly.

Inaccurate thread title - this is more Robert Strong vs. Sam Tarly.  I am not recoil shy and I am an excellent marksman from my years as a libertarian ammosexual before I grew up and became a liberal.

My answer?  Any high caliber, high powered revolver (a .357 magnum should be adequate), aimed at the lower legs.  He may not be easy to kill, but let him try to chase me with a shattered tibia.

You can shoot a gorilla with a small-caliber bullet and it'll still have time to rip your head of before it realises it's meant to be dead. I imagine the same goes for huge, armoured, zombified knights.

Also, this is the most USA post ever. And I've participated in a topic that got locked down because someone kept banging on about 'bringing freedom to the world'.

A Molotov cocktail. If properly made, you can destroy tanks with one of those. Just let the burning liquid seep through the cracks in his armour and cook the big zombie in his plate. The hard thing would be throwing it accurately, though. There's probably loads of other chemical nastiness you could throw too, such as some of the more volatile compounds of mercury. It burns through two layers of heavy lab gloves like tissue paper, and if it gets into contact with your skin, it WILL kill you. Might not work that well on a zombie, but... well, one could always hope Robert Strong has become averse to poison after what happened last time.

Other than that, I suspect a claymore mine might do the trick. Perhaps not the safest thing to be around when it goes off, but if you stand a few metres to its side you can set if off somewhat safely. You can kiss your ear drums goodbye, but you'd be better off than the guy on the receiving end of all those high-velocity steel balls.

Maybe even a plasma torch could work. Approach aggressively, wait for him to put up his shield, and slice his arm off straight through it. Use the moment of surprise to leap forward and torch his head. If all else fails, put the torch to your gas canister instead, and let a canister full of hydrogen react the way it does when exposed to air and extreme heat.

Gun wank.

Is this an American thing?

My country has almost as many licenced fireweapons as the US, but all strictly controlled. Nobody glorifies guns. Practical. Hunting. They're a part of everyday life in some of the more peripheral communities. There was an amnesty, and lots of people handed back firearms, because they'd inherited them and couldn't meet the new standards for licencing. We handed back most of our granpas' hunting rifles and war memento pistols. They weren't exactly licenced, and no ammo could've been bought for them (you need a gun licence to buy ammo).

My father went through the hoops (hunter's exams (identify every possible prey), psychological assesment etc.) to get a licence for one of the small rifles. I've enjoyed target practice with it (KABOOM! better than an air rifle, longer range and bigger impact), and being a better shot than either of my brothers who've both done the compulsory military training. But I'm not really that into it. Calibers mean nothing to me.

As to the Montain. I'd just hide.

Or run. And die.

Gun wank.

Is this an American thing?

My country has almost as many licenced fireweapons as the US, but all strictly controlled. Nobody glorifies guns. Practical. Hunting. They're a part of everyday life in some of the more peripheral communities. There was an amnesty, and lots of people handed back firearms, because they'd inherited them and couldn't meet the new standards for licencing. We handed back most of our granpas' hunting rifles and war memento pistols. They weren't exactly licenced, and no ammo could've been bought for them (you need a gun licence to buy ammo).

My father went through the hoops (hunter's exams (identify every possible prey), psychological assesment etc.) to get a licence for one of the small rifles. I've enjoyed target practice with it (KABOOM! better than an air rifle, longer range and bigger impact), and being a better shot than either of my brothers who've both done the compulsory military training. But I'm not really that into it. Calibers mean nothing to me.

As to the Montain. I'd just hide.

Or run. And die.

It's gun culture in a fearful country. Fear isn't macho but guns are, so the guns become security blankets for scared people who want to seem macho. That's my take, anyway.

It's also an interesting question: What modern weapon could damage Robert Strong? Can this thing BE killed with a revolver? His helmet would expose his eyes. Would a bullet through the eye kill it? If not, you'd need to take out both its eyes, then switch to a sword and try and take him out through the chinks in its armor while he bumbles about, blind. Even then, would sword strikes through these bits kill him? He might survive long enough to take you out, as you tire, and he doesn't. Yikes.

I think you'd need a bomb strong enough to liquidate him, or a flame thrower that burns the flesh, reducing him to bones with no connecting tissue...something drastic, in short.

...that also means that if Cersei uses Strong in a trial by combat, she'll win.

Archived