Vikings VIII: 20 episodes under the sea [SPOILERS]

Veltigar

I couldn't stomach the pilot, does the quality improve drastically or something?

I thought it was pretty great all the way through tbh. :dunno:

At lot of people would probably give Vikings the edge for having a better leading man in Fimmel, and I wouldn't argue too much, but Alexander Dreymon really grew on me over the course of the season. Vikings has better music and Katheryn Winnick too, but that's about where it ends as far as being better than TLK. The battles on TLK are miles ahead of Vikings, and it has a great supporting cast. Especially the guy that plays Alfred the Great. 

I couldn't stomach the pilot, does the quality improve drastically or something?

I have to agree with Nictarion, I found it to be great throughout (a short dip in episode 7 not withstanding). In fact, it might just be the best series of 2015 for me. The battle scenes and duels were exhilarating, the directing inspired and the acting was great. However, what really pushed it beyond a series like Vikings was the writing. It was just so very tight, sometimes almost too much because the pace was extraordinary fast.

That is to say, Mandy, watch it. Some of us less-strict-than-Veltigar viewers still like it. :P

This is why we could never work out Buckwheat :P It's not me, it's you :P 

You know that now we're expecting video evidence of this if it happens?

Oh boy, me and my big mouth again :P

The Wessex/Mercia/Paris court intrigues is obviously not going away this season and will probably take up their fair share of the runtime. We can just hope that they improve over last year. I think Rollo will be good for the Paris portions though.

I hope someone (Aethelwulf or Histoire d'Odo preferably) pulls a crown prince Dipendra of Nepal :P Now that would be a development I'd root for :P 

This is why we could never work out Buckwheat :P It's not me, it's you :P

:blushing::P

Another promo has shown up, with two different variations of the same video.

Excellent. This looks like Lagertha on the throne in Kattegat, yes? I hope we see her in that position.

It looks like Ragnar will indeed die this time.

:blushing::P

Hidden Content

It is, yes,but this is just promo stuff, not shots from the series itself. I think it's just to demonstrate the differing approaches she and Ragnar have towards power. I hope they do more of them, maybe with Rollo and Bjorn. We can hope Lagertha succeeds in claiming Kattegat though  :D better her than Aslaug...

That was a nice touch with the snakes in the promo. Iirc, the legendary figure Ragnar Lodbrok was killed by being thrown into a pit of snakes by Aella. I know they made suggestions in S1 that they would keep this end for him but this was still good to see

I thought it was pretty great all the way through tbh. :dunno:

At lot of people would probably give Vikings the edge for having a better leading man in Fimmel, and I wouldn't argue too much, but Alexander Dreymon really grew on me over the course of the season. Vikings has better music and Katheryn Winnick too, but that's about where it ends as far as being better than TLK. The battles on TLK are miles ahead of Vikings, and it has a great supporting cast. Especially the guy that plays Alfred the Great. 

I disagree.... Vikings is much, much better than the Lion King.

It doesn't improve, the whole series is excellent from episode 1-8.

Definitely one of the top shows of last year.

The last kingdom definitely surpassed Vikings season 3. I agree with the sentiment that the writing was far tighter too and on occasion (episode 4 maybe) there were hints that the last kingdom could be excellent. Vikings has never quite reached that level for me although season 2 was great entertainment.

The last kingdom has yet to do anything as funny as season 3's "execution fail" though. Regardless of how I felt season 3 was a drop in quality that scene made it all worthwhile.

Still not sure what to make of the "20 episode" season when it's being split in two. I guess we'll still get 20 episodes in the space of a year so we're still better off. Wonder if this is to accomodate Fimmel's movie career? If WoW works out he could be in demand and I'm guessing season 5 is a long way off if it gets there. They can always go on without Fimmel but he is the star of the show and the Tudors and Borgias suggests he likes to stop the shows once his lead is out of the picture.

The last kingdom definitely surpassed Vikings season 3. I agree with the sentiment that the writing was far tighter too and on occasion (episode 4 maybe) there were hints that the last kingdom could be excellent. Vikings has never quite reached that level for me although season 2 was great entertainment.

The last kingdom has yet to do anything as funny as season 3's "execution fail" though. Regardless of how I felt season 3 was a drop in quality that scene made it all worthwhile.

Still not sure what to make of the "20 episode" season when it's being split in two. I guess we'll still get 20 episodes in the space of a year so we're still better off. Wonder if this is to accomodate Fimmel's movie career? If WoW works out he could be in demand and I'm guessing season 5 is a long way off if it gets there. They can always go on without Fimmel but he is the star of the show and the Tudors and Borgias suggests he likes to stop the shows once his lead is out of the picture.

I almost choked on my coffee. I enjoyed Vikings more than The Last Kingdom, but that mostly is due to characters and style. I'm a bit worried about 20 episode season as well. It is Hirst. I subconsciously fear him having more opportunities to fuck it up, which we caught glimpses of in season 3. I'll take Cornwell over Hirst any day of the week. I just hope Hirst is surrounded by enough level heads to not fuck up so many episodes. In spite of those trepidations, I am still excited as hell for season 4.

I almost choked on my coffee. I enjoyed Vikings more than The Last Kingdom, but that mostly is due to characters and style. I'm a bit worried about 20 episode season as well. It is Hirst. I subconsciously fear him having more opportunities to fuck it up, which we caught glimpses of in season 3. I'll take Cornwell over Hirst any day of the week. I just hope Hirst is surrounded by enough level heads to not fuck up so many episodes. In spite of those trepidations, I am still excited as hell for season 4.

I think "if" and "could" were the key components of my WoW sentence :)

I'd be curious as to how a Hirst adaptation of Cornwell could work. Conrnwell appears to give a solid footing when it comes to adaptations something the world of TV seems to have recently discovered having optioned several of his series.

I'm trying to think if there are any Viking book franchises out there (that don't include time travel romance). I guess "last Kingdom" sort of is a viking show.

I hope it's not 10 episodes dragged out into 20 and that the mid season finale is such that the next half is almost its own thing

I think "if" and "could" were the key components of my WoW sentence :)

I'd be curious as to how a Hirst adaptation of Cornwell could work. Conrnwell appears to give a solid footing when it comes to adaptations something the world of TV seems to have recently discovered having optioned several of his series.

I'm trying to think if there are any Viking book franchises out there (that don't include time travel romance). I guess "last Kingdom" sort of is a viking show.

I hope it's not 10 episodes dragged out into 20 and that the mid season finale is such that the next half is almost its own thing

Seeing how many commercials each episode now has, I fear we'll only get roughly 30 minutes for each episode. Thank goodness for DVRs

Doing a rewatch on Amazon. When I first saw it, I watched the shitty 'censored for American TV' versions. The Amazon versions are uncut, and as a result, far superior. Jarl Borg's Blood Eagle seemed a lot more graphic, as does the show overall.

Really looking foward to season 4.

ETA: And The Last Kingdom is superior to Vikings in almost every way. Except the music, which is a bit rubbish.

Seeing how many commercials each episode now has, I fear we'll only get roughly 30 minutes for each episode. Thank goodness for DVRs

That would be almost funny if we get twice as many episodes. half as long :)

Doing a rewatch on Amazon. When I first saw it, I watched the shitty 'censored for American TV' versions. The Amazon versions are uncut, and as a result, far superior. Jarl Borg's Blood Eagle seemed a lot more graphic, as does the show overall.

Really looking foward to season 4.

ETA: And The Last Kingdom is superior to Vikings in almost every way. Except the music, which is a bit rubbish.

I may have to watch the amazon version next time around. I still remember how season one felt like it had to include "genuine history" moments where someone would explain to Athelstan how they used to navigate, beleive in ragnarok, or spit/drink out of bowls. The show was better when it ditched that aspect but I kind of miss the awkward "history" moments. Now I don't really trust anything.

Archived