Dating: a thing people are forced to do that no ethics committee would allow

Datepalm

Heh, true. Probably more accurate to say I'm currently a bit too nervous though :P

The good news, I guess, is that we already know each other, so it's not like a blind date situation where you meet for the first time only to find out there's just no chemistry at all. I know we click at least on an interest and friendship level, and I'm certain we'll find stuff to talk about. I guess the starting point could be worse in that regard.

On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 8:59 PM, Maithanet said:

I think it is very easy for people to think the opposite sex has things easier in dating.  It is one of the tricks our brain plays on us to make us feel better. 

Yeah exactly. I'm a girl and find it ridiculously hard just flirting with strangers or trying to attempt to date. It doesn't help that I think I am just ridiculously, ridiculously picky. Not in the sense of I only want to date someone hat has celebrity looks - not at all  - I just don't think I am attracted to many people and then would have to have things in common with them and they would have to tolerate my dorky humour and actually be attracted to me .  That's why I never understood the women have it easy. I don't think so at all. Same with men. We are all just trying to find people we can actually love. I don't think that is necessarily easy for anyone. 

It's been almost 3 years since my ex-wife and I split.  I had the typical rebound fling right after the split, that just fizzled and turned into a friendship.  My boys are 4 and 6, and I have them a good 2/3 of the time. I'm heavily involved in their lives and activities.  Sometimes I think about dating again, but just casually.  I have no interest in a serious relationship or ever getting married again.  My free time is so precious that when it comes around, there's usually a laundry list of things I'd rather be doing.  I get lonely once in a blue moon, but I'm good with that.

I still lurk the thread and follow you guys though :)

On 29-1-2016 at 2:00 PM, Theda Baratheon said:

Yeah exactly. I'm a girl and find it ridiculously hard just flirting with strangers or trying to attempt to date. It doesn't help that I think I am just ridiculously, ridiculously picky. Not in the sense of I only want to date someone hat has celebrity looks - not at all  - I just don't think I am attracted to many people and then would have to have things in common with them and they would have to tolerate my dorky humour and actually be attracted to me .  That's why I never understood the women have it easy. I don't think so at all. Same with men. We are all just trying to find people we can actually love. I don't think that is necessarily easy for anyone. 

Ehhh....be very careful with this line of thinking, there are a ton of people who aren't honest about what they really want.

Economist dude: Hey, maybe I'll be in malawi in March. I could swing by DRC if you're there.

Yeah. Don't even know what to respond. (I might actually be in DRC in march.) It would - literally - be faster, cheaper and more convenient to swing by Israel, including if one is starting in Malawi, than by Lubumbashi, a distinctly un-swing-by-able place. (only three international connections, none convenient to Malawi, not itself a major air hub, would you believe,) I mean, it's obviously not going to happen. This is a person I can't rely on to reply to a text message, am I supposed to now pretend i'm actually making plans to meet up in the bloody DRC? A country that needs an invitation letter, two months notice, a police record transcript and literally refusing to move from the embassy lobby (ie, the kitchen of this old apartment behind Rabin Square with an odd smell, pictures of gorillas from the 70's and a conveniently broken doorbell) at one point to get a visa to? Is he just doing this to annoy me? Because he's succeeding.

3 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Got engaged to my gf on our 18 month anniversary this week :)

congrats!  

cool to read a proper shakespeare comedy in this thread on occasion, amid all of the tragedies (comrade DP's sui generis pynchonian international adventures notwithstanding, 'course).

1 hour ago, TerraPrime said:

DatePalm:

Honestly, is the comedic value of his social ineptitude worth the annoyance? Or are you enjoying the annoyance?

Maybe? Who knows anymore, eh. I mean, I do enjoy his company and mostly think he's a decent person, despite - or because - of various oddities and frustrations. Then, he brings out a side of me I'm not really used to encountering anywhere else and i'm kind of surprised to discover exists at all. Maybe it needed someone who's socially and emotionally out past lunar orbit to give me some room to experiment. It's a curious experience. Finally, I think some of this has to do more with stuff I'm going through than anything he's doing per se - I feel a somewhat similar frustration and distance and self-doubt with a lot of people in my life right now, but there's not a thread that's thematically convenient to vent about being confused and hurt by the friends you don't have a crush on. (And that's all less weird and features less travel.) Maybe there should be. :dunno:

On January 29, 2016 at 1:10 PM, Lily Valley said:
Well, I have a dinner date with @Ravenhair.  That's something.  I am going to eat all the sweetbreads, she is going to eat all the vegetables.  Honestly people, dating is the worst.  Carry on brave souls.

Lily is a wonderful date, and we acted as advisors to one of Lily's neighbors who was meeting a crush in a bar.  The horror that unfolded was stunningly awful and awesome and ended with Lily, ever so gracefully, kicking the neighbor's crush out of the bar.  

On 1/27/2016 at 2:59 PM, Maithanet said:

I think it is very easy for people to think the opposite sex has things easier in dating.  It is one of the tricks our brain plays on us to make us feel better. 

This. Dating is just very hard for some people, regardless of sex.

Archived