Dating: a thing people are forced to do that no ethics committee would allow

Datepalm

21 minutes ago, Marcus Agrippa said:

Almost guys have done it. I did it to a girl named Megan. Oi, that was a mess. I am still embarrassed to this day about the whole fiasco. She was a coworker too. 

Happened to me recently. I asked a girl  named Marcha out to dinner and said "im paying, just you and me". She actually thought it was just as friends. I am VERY happy it didnt go through, cause that would have been a huge waste of time and money.

Since then, im more emphatic about using the word date.

On 3-2-2016 at 4:53 PM, TerraPrime said:

Being with emotionally needy people does two things to me:

1. It scares me to no end that someone else's happiness depends so much on my words and actions. It stresses me out. I chose not to go into medicine because I don't like being in control over someone's life and death. Same anxiety applies here.

2. It wears me out. I am mostly an introvert and value alone time. A lot of alone time. Emotionally needy people make me feel that my space is being violated.

There's a reason I am more a cat person than I am a dog person, and why I chose not to have children.

People's mileage may vary.

So very much. I have more or less torpedoed potential relationships due to these issues.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Sorry to hear about this and your friend.

I just wanted to give you one quick piece of advice. Offering to take her to a hockey game is a bad idea for a first date, even if you already know the person. That's better left for a 3rd or 4th date. It might not seem obvious, but a first date offer like that can put a lot of pressure on a person.

I wouldn't classify this as a date.  It was me asking a friend at the last minute because I couldn't find anyone else.  But the way things turned out I would canceled on her.  I'm not thrilled but it is what it is. 

2 minutes ago, Mandy said:

It's not a big commitment, in my opinion, and it allows for a lot more talking and getting to know someone than a movie and still something else to focus attention to if necessary if things become awkward. *shrugs*

This is true.  but the flipside is that you're 'captive' for 3.5 - 4 hours if it isn't going well, particularly if you're in seperate cars, etc...

1 hour ago, Red Tiger said:

Happened to me recently. I asked a girl  named Marcha out to dinner and said "im paying, just you and me". She actually thought it was just as friends.

How the heck can that be misinterpreted as "just friends"?!

ETA: unless you've been friends for awhile or something. Maybe that, I could see. 

10 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

This is true.  but the flipside is that you're 'captive' for 3.5 - 4 hours if it isn't going well, particularly if you're in seperate cars, etc...

A hockey game isn't that long and we were going from work. There is never any obligation to stay if she feels awkward or if she is feeling uncomfortable.  And if she was having second thoughts I understand.  

12 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

A hockey game isn't that long and we were going from work. There is never any obligation to stay if she feels awkward or if she is feeling uncomfortable.  And if she was having second thoughts I understand.  

Sorry, I should have been more clear.  I wasn't necessarily talking about your situation specifically, just why a hockey game as a first date could be considered a little much. 

In your case, i would agree,  it doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

42 minutes ago, alguien said:

How the heck can that be misinterpreted as "just friends"?!

ETA: unless you've been friends for awhile or something. Maybe that, I could see

nope.gif

No we werent, but I think she was just trying to tell me she wasnt interested in me, which is fine.

14 minutes ago, Sis Who Swears said:

Hockey games are expensive, well they are here anyways. That said, I would be thrilled to go to one on a first date.

My seats were $146 each. I would up not using them given the diagnosis another friend got. I made a couple foreign tourists very happy at Madison Square Garden.  

5 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

My seats were $146 each. I would up not using them given the diagnosis another friend got. I made a couple foreign tourists very happy at Madison Square Garden.  

I'm really sorry that it all panned out that way for you, but I'm with Sis Who Swears - someone spending that much on me at any time would make me uncomfortable, and on a first date it'd have me running for the hills. But then, I feel uncomfortable about letting guys pay for my ridiculous $5 coffees, so perhaps I'm not the best judge.

2 hours ago, theguyfromtheVale said:

Oh man, you people are spoilsports. I have a first date cut short but going so well that I'm asked out by the person for another coffee and you talk about misunderstandings. Way to make me second-guess myself :P

Don't. ;) You are doing great.

Heh, thanks.

I have my doubts, too. I know I still got some barely resolved issues. But noone is perfect. I just want to enjoy the bliss of things going smoothly so far. I'll see were all of this goes. If things don't work out, well, that's fine too. But so far, the road has been surprisingly devoid of bumps.

13 hours ago, Sis Who Swears said:
8 hours ago, Arkhangel said:

I'm really sorry that it all panned out that way for you, but I'm with Sis Who Swears - someone spending that much on me at any time would make me uncomfortable, and on a first date it'd have me running for the hills. But then, I feel uncomfortable about letting guys pay for my ridiculous $5 coffees, so perhaps I'm not the best judge.

I spent the money on myself.  I think it's creepy and sad to go to sporting events alone. I don't know why everyone is confused by that. 

55 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I spent the money on myself.  I think it's creepy and sad to go to sporting events alone. I don't know why everyone is confused by that. 

FWIW, I think you're well rid of her.  Anyone who'd do that isn't worth knowing.  (unless, of course, she was hit by a car on the way to the ice rink. :P )

Archived