Favorite ending and Books that need sequels

Muwhahaha

Obviously, this is could become a minefield for spoilers so......rules.  State the book, then, if you so wish, in spoiler tags, state why.  And, yes, that is correct comma usage.

Also, instead of starting a new thread, what sequel would you like to see?

Mine:

House of Suns - love the ending and would love a sequel

love the possibilities left open - the robots/machine people and the world they could create/or have created.  There could easily be a sequel to this one.

Everything by Robert Jackson Bennett - American Elsewhere, the Troupe, and Mr.Shivers all have great endings

The Tales of Ketty Jay wraps up nicely - would love to see a reunion book

Loved the ending of Finch

Hate every ending Mieville has ever written (especially the Scar) but I think he does that on purpose.

Loved the ending of The Gone-Away World.

Royal Assassin was one of my favourite endings of a book. The last several chapters of the book are insane, so tense, harrowing, fast-paced. And all written in Hobb's beautiful style. 

Rather enjoyed the ending of The First Law trilogy. Not moved on to the standalones yet, but the trilogy did end in a way that made me want to read more.

A few endings that stand out from the rest are, for me:
-Blade of Tyshalle, because it ties up all plot points so beautifully
-Royal Assassin, like Helena, and for the same reasons
-Fullmetal Alchemist, for the sheer storytelling prowess it displays
-Last Argument of Kings, for various reasons

The comic story Saga also has, like, the best cliffhangers in print.

The Long Price Quartet's ending was perfect, but I'm a fan of bittersweet endings and TLPQ is one of my favorite series.

Lonesome Dove was another with a great ending. I must admit being very reluctant to read Streets of Laredo due to fears of it tarnishing my view of Lonesome Dove. Yes. I have trepidations with starting sequels to amazing novels.

Blood Meridian has a fantastic ending. I felt the middle was a bit of a repetitive slog, but that ending was great.

Watership Down's was great, bittersweet.

East of Eden

The Great Gatsby

The Little Prince

Les Miserables

Hunchback of Notre Dame

Crime and Punishment

I'm also a fan of many of Guy Gavriel Kay's epilogues.

Yeah, I loved Long Price's ending; had me in tears.

Also, loved Full Metal Alchemist's ending as well.  Great stuff.  If we're talking anime too, and might as well, Cowboy Bebop, Ergo Proxy, Samurai Champloo, Gun X Sword, Big O, and Code Geass are note worthy.  

Yeah, another vote for Long Price. So beautiful. Has me in bits every time I read it.

Not sure we need a sequel, though.

ETA: Also, honourable mention for John Hornor Jacobs' Southern Gods. Absolutely brutal, but highly memorable.

Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson

White-Gold Wielder by Stephen Donaldson

Stormbringer by Michael Moorcock

The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien (At least for the power of its last line - "and an end was come to the Eldar, of story and of song").

A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller.

And if we're including short stories, Necromancy in Naat by Clark Ashton Smith. 

Another vote for Long Prce and The White Gold Wielder (this should also go into the list of the books that didn't need sequels, I suppose). I also loved the ending of River into Darkness duology by Sean Russell. As for classics, LotR, Master and Margarita and Crime and Punishment all have great endings. Also The Highwind on Jamaica.

The Dark Tower - Stephen King

Stormbringer - Michael Moorcock

The Crippled God - Steven Erikson

The Eternal Champion - Michael Moorcock

A Cure for Cancer - Michael Moorcock

The Condition of Muzak - Michael Moorcock

Emperor of Thorns - Mark Lawrence

The Cold Commands - Richard Morgan

The Dark Defiles - Richard Morgan

The Silmarillion.

"In that time the last of the Noldor set sail from the Havens and left Middle-earth for ever. And latest of all the Keepers of the Three Rings rode to the Sea, and Master Elrond took there the ship that Círdan had made ready. In the twilight of autumn it sailed out of Mithlond, until the seas of the Bent World fell away beneath it, and the winds of the round sky troubled it no more, and borne upon the high airs above the mists of the world it passed into the Ancient West, and an end was come for the Eldar of story and of song."

The mention of Stardust reminds me that i loved the ending to Neverwhere too. I think Gaiman is generally pretty good at writing endings to his books.

Silmarillion is abother good choice too. Such a beautiful closing passage.

This one is a play, but the ending to an Inspector Calls was brilliant imo 

11/22/63 actually had a really good ending, which is super surprising given King can;t write endings for shit, usually. I actually also really like the ending to It.

I loved that final scene so much. Best way it could have ended.

Yeah, I loved Long Price's ending; had me in tears.

Also, loved Full Metal Alchemist's ending as well.  Great stuff.  If we're talking anime too, and might as well, Cowboy Bebop, Ergo Proxy, Samurai Champloo, Gun X Sword, Big O, and Code Geass are note worthy.  

Cowboy Bebop has a great ending too, I agree, but I don't really think it qualifies since this is the Lit forum. (I mentioned FMA because it's manga originally).

A few endings that stand out from the rest are, for me:
-Blade of Tyshalle, because it ties up all plot points so beautifully

Agreed, it was such a great pay-off.

I also loved endings of Catch-22 by Joseph Heller, The Prayer for Owen Meany, by John Irving, The Master and Mergerita by Mikhail Bulgakov or The Idiot by Fiodor Dostoyevski.

Moon of Gomrath by Alan Garner.  Written at the same time as that and its predecessor, Weirdstone of Brisingamen, instead of forty years later, when we got the final instalment 'Boneland', which was not nearly as enjoyable as the first two because of its radically different style.

• 1 month later...

Archived